Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
NO US GRAND PRIX IN 2008
07-17-2007, 10:47 PM
RE: NO US GRAND PRIX IN 2008
hbrightmusic Wrote:I think FFC, you´ve missed Tricky´s point. Its not the selling of your products, Its investing in developing industrial countries. The major manufacturers are looking for cheeper places to produce their wares, thats where China and India come in. Youre right about the US being one of the biggest markets, but you´ve got to produce to sell. See how long it takes before you see Toyota, BMW, etc building cars in China and India...........cheep labour mate, gotta be good for the Manufacturers.

So... you're trying to tell me that Bernie's holding GPs in what are largely impoverished countries, because the manufacturers want to exploit the impoverished citizens in those countries for the purpose of saving money on building cars, is that right? Somehow, I think the manufacturers could do that without going through the bother of holding a GP in those countries, don't you? Sorry, not buying that one.

"If this is the pinnacle of motorsport, I'm obviously in Bizzaro World..."- me, watching Buemi's front suspension disintegrate in China for no reason
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-2007, 02:47 PM
Toyota, Honda, Kia, Hyundai are building more assemby plants in...AMERICA...than anywhere else because the local governments are giving away tax breaks to bring them here and simply because they run a better operation than the "Big Three". There are three Toyota plants, Two Honda plants and one each Kia, Hyundai, and Mazda plant in Indiana alone...due to GM, Ford, Dodge, etc. moving their ops to Mexico and such, Detroit still being called the "motor city" is laughable.

Oh...and it is a matter of time before the manufacturers go on their own to the largest market and manufacturing base for their products and sponsors, AMERICA.

When you’re racing, it...it’s life. Anything that happens before or after...is just waiting.  -Maurice Trintignant
07-18-2007, 03:43 PM
Yes America is currently the major player in terms of car production, but I doubt it will be in the long term. Do you really expect America to be the hub of car manfactoring in a few decades time? I'd say the majority of parts are already made in China/Inda.

By having races in India, China and other developing country's, F1 has a foothold for the future.

"Woof Woof"
[Image: jkvnl4.jpg]
07-18-2007, 05:12 PM
Interestingly, we in Canada have a large number of auto assembly plants for the big 3 US car companies. They aren't doing so well lately because they are unionized.

How many of the "import" car companies' plants are unionized in the US? Exactly... almost none. Smile

Lephturn

"Racing is life... everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in 'Le Mans'
07-21-2007, 03:21 AM
trickydicky Wrote:By having races in India, China and other developing country's, F1 has a foothold for the future.

Since no one bothered to answer the first time (likely because they can't), I'll ask again...

What the hell does holding a GP in China or India have to do with building cars there? Toyota, Mercedes, BMW, Ferrari and whomever else could build every component of their cars in Outer Mongolia... it doesn't translate that a GP would be held there, and particularly when the citizens can't afford to buy the tickets!

Some of you need to give more thought to what you want to say before you put it out there. It's plain illogical oft times, ridiculous most times. The above is a good example of both.

"If this is the pinnacle of motorsport, I'm obviously in Bizzaro World..."- me, watching Buemi's front suspension disintegrate in China for no reason
07-21-2007, 05:17 AM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2007 05:35 AM by Koala.)
TheFIAFerrariConspiracy Wrote:
trickydicky Wrote:By having races in India, China and other developing country's, F1 has a foothold for the future.

Since no one bothered to answer the first time (likely because they can't), I'll ask again...

What the hell does holding a GP in China or India have to do with building cars there? Toyota, Mercedes, BMW, Ferrari and whomever else could build every component of their cars in Outer Mongolia... it doesn't translate that a GP would be held there, and particularly when the citizens can't afford to buy the tickets!

Some of you need to give more thought to what you want to say before you put it out there. It's plain illogical oft times, ridiculous most times. The above is a good example of both.

FIA my very carefully considered opinion Smile is that holding a GP in China or India has nothing to do with building cars there - realistically with Bernie in control the main deciding factor re China or India would be (1) the money they are prepared to pay in the first place for the rights - followed closely by (2) their population base i.e. Bernie would be assuming that he could exploit this population base eventually by increasing F1's popularity in these countries and therefore revenue derived i.e. from sponsors chasing that population base, TV right sales to broadcasters in those countries , even possibly down to the value of merchandise sales that might eventually be achieved. He would also be assuming that he would still retain a large % of the traditional F1 supporter base in the likes of France, and the UK if they lose their race.

While I will accept that you cannot discount the possibility that the likes of China and India may one day develop a reasonable sized F1 supporter base in my opinion given they do not have a long tradition in motor racing as countries it could take quite a while - about the only thing that might speed this up would be a couple of successful drivers and as far as I know there are currently none in the wings that would be good enough to do well in F1.

The reality is while Bernie is in charge decisions will not necessarily be based on what is good for the traditions of F1 but rather the primary consideration will be what Bernie thinks will be good for Bernie's bank balance
07-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Koala Wrote:FIA my very carefully considered opinion   Smile  is that holding a GP in China or India has nothing to do with building cars there -

The reality is while Bernie is in charge decisions will not necessarily be based on what is good for the traditions of F1 but rather the primary consideration will be what Bernie thinks will be good for Bernie's bank balance

You are of course correct on both counts, and that's what I've been saying all along. I would think anyone who knows anything about F1 would know this.

So where does anyone get that Bernie gives a rat's butt about holding a GP in India because he has an interest in the manufacturer's turning to India to produce car parts? What type of reasoning leads to that conclusion?

07-21-2007, 06:55 PM
TheFIAFerrariConspiracy Wrote:
Koala Wrote:FIA my very carefully considered opinion Smile is that holding a GP in China or India has nothing to do with building cars there -

You are of course correct on both counts, and that's what I've been saying all along. I would think anyone who knows anything about F1 would know this.

So where does anyone get that Bernie gives a rat's butt about holding a GP in India because he has an interest in the manufacturer's turning to India to produce car parts? What type of reasoning leads to that conclusion?

It's called a kickback and it has Bernie written all over it. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-21-2007, 08:40 PM
It's got nothing to do with where the car parts get made, but with a manufacturer-driven business like F1 it certainly matters where the big growth potential is in global car sales. India and China are the markets where car sales have huge room to grow in the next 20 years or so, and you better believe that matters to the manufacturers, and hence somewhat to Bernie.

Putting up the $ still trumps all though.

Lephturn

"Racing is life... everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in 'Le Mans'
07-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Indy will be missed for sure. At the end it comes down to $$$. I am sure Bernie wants get more $$$, and for sure he will get what he wants from south of the border. It is sad to see a big event to come down to $$$ and upsetting so many fans without $$$.

Bernie take your hands out of F1 you have enough $$$ for next 5 generations of Bernie's.

does he reaaly need more?

http://www.forbes.com/finance/lists/10/2...ype=Person

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

07-30-2007, 02:09 PM
Bernie may be in his seventies and as rich as Croesus but he always needs more! Have you ever met a squillionaire who didn't?
07-30-2007, 11:13 PM
I don't think that F1 will return to Long Beach, as that won't be all that good for European TV audiences, which is almost as important to Bernie as getting his $35 million. BTW, hasn't Bernie mentioned getting a race up in Las Vegas?

Anyway, I feel sorry for all the American fans who have been screwed by F1 once again.
07-30-2007, 11:19 PM
European TV audiences can't be too important to Bernie... I understand they don't much like the addition of India and Bahrain anymore than fans in the US do.

09-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Any clues on what the 3 venues Peter and Bernie were referring to as possible tracks in the US for 2010?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Canadian Grand Prix Photos eric4ok 5 207 07-14-2017 12:08 AM
Last Post: Koala
  50 Words on Chinese Grand Prix leonbray 5 207 04-13-2017 04:27 AM
Last Post: drmarkf
  Chinese Grand Prix Nasir 7 333 04-10-2017 11:32 AM
Last Post: eric4ok
  US Grand Prix Nasir 7 464 10-24-2016 07:04 PM
Last Post: Nasir