Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
NO US GRAND PRIX IN 2008
07-14-2007, 10:11 AM
RE: NO US GRAND PRIX IN 2008
parrothead Wrote:The Indianapolis Motor speedway has lost one of it's biggest races.
After an eight year run, Formula One U-S Grand Prix won't be returning to the Speedway next year.
A spokesman says he met with the boss of Formula-One last month and was confident that a new deal would be reached.
  There are reports that the race may be moving to another U-S city--possibly New York or Las Veags.
Traditionally, Indianapolis draws the largest crowds for the international race--close to 125-thousand in recent years.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2007, 10:44 AM
hey folks, several thoughts..... its a huge loss. so its NOT the most exciting track to see a race at, at least the entire infield section is a real snooze, so flat and twisty and slow, with no real racing taking place. But the "feel" and the history to this place is like no other, at least not in this country. And where else can you find a track not only to house but to ACCOMODATE the 125,000 people regularly coming to witness the show?? I had read a brief survey where they asked people if they would miss the USGP and the greater majority said "no".  Oddly enough, i'm sure the people of Indiana were not asked, as that race in and of itself infuses the local economy with several millions of dollars in cash on race weekend. And lets not forget that Indys USGP DRAWS MORE PEOPLE THAN ANY OTHER RACE ON THE CALENDAR, admitted to by F1 themselves!! If bernie has something for the U.S. up his sleeve other than his piggish greed, i'm ready for it. But for F1 Not to have a race in what is by far its largest and wealthiest fan base is nothing short of ridiculous. Listen to podcast #180 (i think) to get an idea of how many reasons there are to host a race at indy. and listen to the excitement in the voices of clark,nas, des, and yahoo ads....they LOVED being part of it. Its  a BIG loss, the likes of which won't soon be forgotten.
07-14-2007, 11:54 AM
P-e-o-p-l-e...I feel your pain of no USGP in 2008. Moving forward, I have a question please. How many of you who came to Indy for the GP from other states and countries would travel to Mexico if there is a GP there?

Regarding the poll, I must say I know several serious F1 fans who never went to the USGP because of the location. I will still miss it. I think Tony George did the right thing by taking a stand against Bernie and his Greed Unlimited Orchestra.

Back home again in Indiana..............some day hopefully.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Hmm, I went to Montreal in 06, guess I would do Mexico in 08 if given the opportunity.

[Image: 6p7ymog.jpg]
Copyright - Royal Dutch Dicky Graphic Design
07-14-2007, 01:15 PM
trickydicky Wrote:Replace the USA GP with a race in Argentina, Mexico or even Brazil.

There's already a Brazilian GP, or was it taken off the schedule and no one told me? Anyway, I prefer a GP in Mexico to the Bahrain GP, but I doubt the turnout or total revenue would be anywhere near that of Indy let alone Bahrain, so why bother? The manufacturers (with the exception of Toyota) wouldn't benefit from advertising, as Mexico is hardly a major market for BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, or Spyker, due to the disposable income available to most people in Mexico and most people in countries in its vicinity. I imagine that would hold true for many sponsors as well, though of course not all.

Anyway, as far as Argentina, forget it. The turnout would be worse than it would be for Mexico, among other issues. Besides, one GP in South America is good enough, what with the issues so many countries there have with crime, political instability, etcetera, Brazil included. What's needed is a new venue in the US, or rather, a return to an old venue... Long Beach, anyone?

"If this is the pinnacle of motorsport, I'm obviously in Bizzaro World..."- me, watching Buemi's front suspension disintegrate in China for no reason
07-14-2007, 01:18 PM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2007 01:19 PM by Koala.)
Nasir Wrote:I think Tony George did the right thing by taking a stand against Bernie and his Greed Unlimited Orchestra.

Could not agreed more - While Bernie did probably drag F1 in to the modern era - his actions in recent years have generally been less about F1 and increasing it's popularity, spectacle etc and more about lining his/investors pockets and stroking his ego. Clearly whoever is prepared to throw wads of cash at Bernie is going to get his attention even if it might not be in the best interests of F1 fans - what a situation - we are now facing the US, France and the UK without /probably without races all because of Bernies lust for more $ / ego. Don't forget he wants Australia to to start it's race at 9:30pm or so at night or risk not having it's contract renewed.
07-14-2007, 05:13 PM
pj is right, IMS had the circuit set-up that could handle the crowds already built, and ready to go.
Creating a race at any other US City would be starting from scratch, so scratch the chances of somewhere else ponying up to take it/Bernie on.
IMS isn't picturesque like a run through a Barvarian forrest, a city park, or in an exotic locale like the artifically constructed Shanghai circuit--but it's historic and its OURS.
it is a huge loss. I'm pissed.
pj was right, we were all excited to be a part of it.

GrandPrixWeekly.com's Fabulous, Fierce, Formula-1 Femme Fatale
---
Caution, curvy chicanes ahead.
----
http://www.zazzle.com/my/products/public...4739160534
Check out my F1 t-shirt designs for female F1 fans.
07-14-2007, 05:17 PM
TheFIAFerrariConspiracy Wrote:[quote=trickydicky]
Replace the USA GP with a race in Argentina, Mexico or even Brazil.

What was I thinking! Yeah I meant another new country, but I can't remember right now!

I'm surprised your the only one who raised this point.

"Woof Woof"
[Image: jkvnl4.jpg]
07-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Montreal, here I come next year!

I do have some questions about Canadian GP. I hear that its not as fan friendly as IMS. Is that true?

As you all know, IMS has open seating on friday and saturday.

Does Canadian GP have similar arrangement?
Is it possible to "walk the circuit?"
Also, how much more expensive are the tickets for Canadian GP?

[Image: rpm_g_wheldon01jr_288.jpg]
07-14-2007, 06:56 PM
chrismoose, you may want to look to older threads on the Canadian GP topic & info. yes, Montreal is very fan friendly, but let us mourn the USGP for now....

---
----
07-15-2007, 03:58 PM
City's and States have a hard time selling Stadium and Arena deals to their voting residents to help pay for to keep their beloved teams that have been mainstays in their respetive sports of Football, Baseball, etc. No city is going to take on a money loser like Formula One.

I have to take my hat off to Tony George for making it happen for the years that we did have the USGP which we all can say that we remember (some have been to the race(s)) the USGP when it ran at Indy.

Bernie just does not understand the US at all and probably never will.

Bob in Pennsylvania =====================
Tivo was Built for F1 Fans!
07-15-2007, 05:03 PM
we'll see how long the races in places like Shanghai hold up.

---
----
07-15-2007, 07:43 PM
You all might remember that the IMS has never asked for public funds to bring any series to race here or to update the facilities and even put our illustrious mayor, Sir Bart, in his place for offering to assist with tax money after the 2005 fiasco. How many NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, etc., teams can even come close to boasting of that record. TG did the right thing here. Unfortunately Bernie would turn F1 into Champ Car if the money were right, by turning his back on all the great historic tracks and setting up a bunch of temp street circuits in places like Dubai.

When you’re racing, it...it’s life. Anything that happens before or after...is just waiting.  -Maurice Trintignant
07-15-2007, 09:15 PM
I would imagine they would have another track to go to for a USGP in the future. The US is too big of a market for the manufacturers to lose. It might be a year or two, but there will have to be another USGP sometime or another.

[Image: 6p7ymog.jpg]
Copyright - Royal Dutch Dicky Graphic Design
07-16-2007, 01:23 AM
DesireeF1Weekly Wrote:we'll see how long the races in places like Shanghai hold up.

Shanghai will hold up for quite some time, my dear Desiree, as China is a major and growing market for manufacturers. Now, how many cars are they selling in Turkey?

"If this is the pinnacle of motorsport, I'm obviously in Bizzaro World..."- me, watching Buemi's front suspension disintegrate in China for no reason
07-16-2007, 01:36 PM (This post was last modified: 07-16-2007 01:37 PM by trickydicky.)
DesireeF1Weekly Wrote:we'll see how long the races in places like Shanghai hold up.

Bernie can't afford to not have China and India on the calender, they are such important markets, more then America is.

"Woof Woof"
[Image: jkvnl4.jpg]
07-16-2007, 04:01 PM
As has already been said, There should be a USGP. In my opinion there are venues that are too important to lose whether for market reasons or historic. Here´s my list of GPs which I consider to be irreplaceable:
British GP
French GP (regardless of circuit)
German GP
Monaco GP
Italian GP
Japanese GP (Preferably Suzuka)
Belgian GP (only at Spa)
USGP
Chinese GP (somewhere new would be nice)
Australian GP

Others I´d like to see:
S. Africa (Kylami)
Mexico (montezumas revenge...lol)
Portugal (Estoril)
Canada (Montreal)(important enough to keep)
Argentina
Switzerland (Bremgarten)
Netherlands (Zandvoort)
San Marino (Imola)

Richard H. Bright - Theme Music Composer

[Image: l_d7deafde268928d00a3e0458739300-2.jpg]
http://www.richard-h-bright.com
http://www.myspace.com/rhbrightmusic
http://www.soundclick.com/richardhbright
07-16-2007, 08:16 PM
I would gladly sell my soul to the Devil if it brings F1 back to Southern California.

"You got to learn to respect where you're going wrong!" - Senna after punching Irvine. Suzuka '93
07-16-2007, 11:09 PM
Canada has to be on the must have list. That is almost always an interesting race, in a great town, and with great fans. Personally, I wish more tracks were like Montreal.

Insert shameless plug here.
07-17-2007, 12:20 AM
trickydicky Wrote:Bernie can't afford to not have China and India on the calender, they are such important markets, more then America is.

This is so clearly ridiculous, I can barely contain my laughter. China and India are more important markets than America is? Yeah, okay!
I hope at least some of you realize the bottom line in F1 is selling products, and primarily, we're talking cars here. Where are most Ferraris, BMWs, Mercedes and Toyotas being sold? Yeah, that's right. Do you think if races were held in poor selling markets instead of major ones, the manufacturer's wouldn't leave in a heartbeat? Talk about things Bernie can't afford.

Now I'm sure you're talking about attendance and all, but you'd still be wrong I'd bet. Most people in China can't afford to attend the race in Shanghai, and though there is no race in India at present, given the average income of most people there from what I understand, they couldn't either. As a result, the Chinese GP is sustained, with regards to ticket sales, from the attendance of foreign visitors overwhelmingly, while most Americans can afford to go to the USGP, though there's been little incentive for them to of late. A new venue would do the trick, Vegas, possibly...

07-17-2007, 04:18 AM
I will miss that 23 something seconds.

Anyway, that's a business as far as Bernie rules F..oCA.

Miracles do happen who knows maybe one day we will see Watking Glen back on tha calendar.

Regards,
ABARTH
07-17-2007, 04:38 AM
TheFIAFerrariConspiracy Wrote:
trickydicky Wrote:Bernie can't afford to not have China and India on the calender, they are such important markets, more then America is.

This is so clearly ridiculous, I can barely contain my laughter.  China and India are more important markets than America is?  Yeah, okay!  
I hope at least some of you realize the bottom line in F1 is selling products, and primarily, we're talking cars here.  Where are most Ferraris, BMWs, Mercedes and Toyotas being sold?  Yeah, that's right.  Do you think if races were held in poor selling markets instead of major ones, the manufacturer's wouldn't leave in a heartbeat?  Talk about things Bernie can't afford.  

Now I'm sure you're talking about attendance and all, but you'd still be wrong I'd bet.  Most people in China can't afford to attend the race in Shanghai, and though there is no race in India at present, given the average income of most people there from what I understand, they couldn't either.  As a result, the Chinese GP is sustained, with regards to ticket sales, from the attendance of foreign visitors overwhelmingly, while most Americans can afford to go to the USGP, though there's been little incentive for them to of late.  A new venue would do the trick, Vegas, possibly...

I think FFC, you´ve missed Tricky´s point. Its not the selling of your products, Its investing in developing industrial countries. The major manufacturers are looking for cheeper places to produce their wares, thats where China and India come in. Youre right about the US being one of the biggest markets, but you´ve got to produce to sell. See how long it takes before you see Toyota, BMW, etc building cars in China and India...........cheep labour mate, gotta be good for the Manufacturers.

Richard H. Bright - Theme Music Composer

[Image: l_d7deafde268928d00a3e0458739300-2.jpg]
http://www.richard-h-bright.com
http://www.myspace.com/rhbrightmusic
http://www.soundclick.com/richardhbright
07-17-2007, 11:54 AM
I think it's simpler than that, which governments will lay the money down.

We've got races in Bahrain and soon Abu Dhabi, and it's got nothing to do with industry, marketing, sponsorship, promotion, or anything other than a big fat cheque.

Lephturn

"Racing is life... everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in 'Le Mans'
07-17-2007, 01:14 PM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2007 01:18 PM by SAC.)
SAC Wrote:btw I wrote to a local news station about a "poll" they run that showed 49% didnt care about the race at all.

here is what i said

Quote:To whom it may concern,

I was tuned in last evening watching your report on the decision to not to have the USGP in 2008. I was very disappointed in your so called "poll". The reason I am writing to you is for a number of reasons. Please note i'm not a "off and on" Fan, I have been a fan for nearly 20 years.

I feel that your "poll" is bogus, because if you had "polled" mostly Formula 1 fans (which we know is very few in Indiana), or fans that knew more about the sport, you would have had a different outcome. What if we had a major soccer event in Indianapolis ( i.e. World Cup) and you asked me my opinion? I'm far from a soccer fan, and I would have told you that "it doesnt matter to me". That in turn would be a frown upon the fans that love soccer. Your outcome makes Mr. Eccelstone's statements true, and it doesn't help Formula 1's reputation. I have been a Formula 1 fan since I was the age of 10, and your coverage, or shall I say lack of coverage upsets me. For example, if something mediocre would have happened during a Nascar event, the Colts, etc etc, you would have a full 5-10 minutes devoted to that story. The only time your station or any other station has anything devoted to Formula 1 is if something bad has happened. There are many upon many of things within the sport that make it great! Your poll is just a continuation on your lack of coverage and support on the series. Formula 1 needs support from every part in the city, if it is to be successful. Every year I hope to see more about F1 when they are in town during your broadcast, or any other stations broadcast. Unfortunately I usually see the same lackluster coverage and support that Bernie is upset about. I wish you would see that more coverage would help build a larger Formula 1 fan base. I know the politics behind Formula 1, and How Mr. Eccelstone runs his business, but what stops you from getting stories and informing the locals. I understand that you cant broadcast from inside the track ( a-la Indy 500/Nascar) , but why cant you do the coverage outside? I saw one reporter outside the track on race day, in the most remote location on 16th street. That is just sad, get the track team out there, show more traffic, give some insights, etc etc. Make it feel welcome, make it feel important like the Alstate 400 and the Indy 500.

I'm just frustrated, because you coverage just shows how much the race isn't supported. Maybe you have no control on what you report on, but then again I don't believe that. I believe your "select" what you want coverage. I honestly feel bad for the George Family, the city of Indianapolis, and the United States. They all have lost a great event that spotlights this great state and city! They spent millions upon millions to bring the race and all they needed was some support from the locals and local media. Yes they could have done more on there end, but if you look at the prices of tickets, they are so, so much cheaper than anywhere else in the world.

In closing I hope when we get the MotoGP race (By the way I'm also a Fan of this series), and I hope the local media and locals embrace and support this series. It will only help in the long run, if we want to keep that race and have the Formula 1 event return.

Upset Viewer
Paul Smith

They actually replied......

Thank you for taking the time to write about F1. The web polling is definitely not scientific and we should say so in the future if we include it in our newscasts. As for the media support of F1, we would love to give that race all the attention it deserves. The organizers do not allow it. We receive two media credentials (we get dozens for the other races and events at the track), we cannot do live shots, it’s lame to stand outside the track to report on something we can’t show and even when we do get their pre-packaged handout video we are restricted in how much we can air. It’s very very frustrating and the world should know how difficult it was for eight years to present good F1 coverage on the local newscasts.

We appreciate the feedback very much, it was a well-written note that will be distributed to news and sports.

Sincerely,

Carolyn Williams, WTHR Asst News Director

[Image: Alonso-Renault2008.jpg?t=1202439495]
http://www.myspace.com/paulsac Renault F1 Fan For Life
07-17-2007, 10:11 PM
As someone who does surveys for a living I'm going to try not to go off the handle about web polls. They aren't scientific is the understandment of the year. But I digress.

That was a really well put together response from them. They definitely have a point. What's the point if we can't show it on our station. Maybe you should forward it to Max and Bernie!

Insert shameless plug here.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Canadian Grand Prix Photos eric4ok 5 252 07-14-2017 12:08 AM
Last Post: Koala
  50 Words on Chinese Grand Prix leonbray 5 228 04-13-2017 04:27 AM
Last Post: drmarkf
  Chinese Grand Prix Nasir 7 376 04-10-2017 11:32 AM
Last Post: eric4ok
  US Grand Prix Nasir 7 512 10-24-2016 07:04 PM