Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Australian GP 2017
03-29-2017, 09:48 PM
RE: Australian GP 2017
(03-29-2017 05:13 PM)Lephturn Wrote:  I do like the idea of simply giving them a set amount of fuel and max battery capacity, but don't you just blow the cost model all to pieces if you do that?

yes. unless there is a spending cap, with independent auditors, and we know that isn't going to happen.

there's also the risk of teams spending most of their energy to get to the front early, then blocking like crazy while they conserve energy to the finish.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-30-2017, 11:50 AM
(03-29-2017 09:48 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  
(03-29-2017 05:13 PM)Lephturn Wrote:  I do like the idea of simply giving them a set amount of fuel and max battery capacity, but don't you just blow the cost model all to pieces if you do that?

yes. unless there is a spending cap, with independent auditors, and we know that isn't going to happen.

there's also the risk of teams spending most of their energy to get to the front early, then blocking like crazy while they conserve energy to the finish.

I think changing the balance of the cars to make overtaking more possible when 2 cars have a performance difference would fix that. Right now the Aero means performance variation is negated when cars get close which is a big problem. Hopefully Ross Brawn is smart enough to get the balance of rules right. Unfortunately I suspect it will mean another big set of rule changes.
03-30-2017, 10:13 PM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2017 10:13 PM by frankdouglason.)
overtaking will always require way more energy than maintaining the position. you can make the gap slightly smaller, but it will always be significant. so if you incentivize teams to use the last drop of energy right at the finish (which a fixed energy supply system would do), then every time they even attempt an overtake, they have to conserve somewhere else to make up for it. making a resource scarce incentivizes cautious management of that resource. we saw this when tire durability was made scarce, and the teams spent a whole season carefully managing tire wear instead of trying to be fast.

i think one of the most exciting things in racing is watching a team attempt a late-race strategy change that uses a splash-and-dash. fixed energy supply rules eliminate this possibility. if you want diversity of strategy and exuberant driving, you need to give liberal supply of the resources so that the teams will feel comfortable over-using them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  50 Words on the 2017 Australian GP Yaaay 7 173 03-28-2017 03:21 AM
Last Post: Koala