Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bernie Gone!
01-23-2017, 03:54 PM
Bernie Gone!
Difficult to believe after all this time. But wow, it's actually happened.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-23-2017, 05:56 PM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2017 06:33 PM by Yaaay.)
RE: Bernie Gone!
Ross in! Bad timing, Nasir, we should have got in sooner! He'll be out of bounds now.

Liberty Media Corporation and Delta Topco, the parent company of Formula 1, have announced that Liberty Media has completed its acquisition of Formula One and has appointed Chase Carey as Chief Executive Officer of F1, in addition to his existing role as Chairman.
Bernie Ecclestone has been named Chairman Emeritus. He will be available as "a source of advice" for the board of F1.
"We are delighted to have completed the acquisition of F1 and that Chase will lead this business as CEO," said Greg Maffei, President and CEO of Liberty Media Corporation. "There is an enormous opportunity to grow the sport, and we have every confidence that Chase, with his abilities and experience, is the right person to achieve this."
carey said that he is "excited" to be taking on the additional role of CEO.
"F1 has huge potential with multiple untapped opportunities," he said. "I have enjoyed hearing from the fans, teams, FIA, promoters and sponsors on their ideas and hopes for the sport. We will work with all of these partners to enhance the racing experience and add new dimensions to the sport and we look forward to sharing these plans overtime.
"I would like to recognise and thank Bernie for his leadership over the decades. The sport is what it is today because of him and the talented team of executives he has led, and he will always be part of the F1 family. Bernie's role as Chairman Emeritus befits his tremendous contribution to the sport and I am grateful for his continued insight and guidance as we build F1 for long-term success and the enjoyment of all those involved."
Bernie Ecclestone said: "I'm proud of the business that I built over the last 40 years and all that I have achieved with Formula 1, and would like to thank all of the promoters, teams, sponsors and television companies that I have worked with. I'm very pleased that the business has been acquired by Liberty and that it intends to invest in the future of F1."
The transaction price represents an enterprise value for F1 of $8 billion and an equity value of $4.4 billion.
With the completion of the acquisition, the Liberty Media Group will shortly be renamed the Formula One Group and the ticker symbols for the Series A, Series B and Series C Liberty Media Group tracking stocks will be changed from LMC (A/B/K), respectively, to FWON (A/B/K), respectively, soon after the group name change has become effective.
F1 will remain based in London and Greg Maffei will be Deputy Chair of the board of F1.

01-23-2017, 07:26 PM
Ross Brawn Joins Formula 1 as Managing Director, Motor Sports
Sean Bratches Joins as Managing Director, Commercial Operations

01-24-2017, 09:34 AM
Get ready, F1 is going to change, if you thought hybrid engines were the end of the world your head will probably explode in the next 3-5 years.
01-24-2017, 11:56 AM
(01-24-2017 09:34 AM)chemics Wrote:  Get ready, F1 is going to change, if you thought hybrid engines were the end of the world your head will probably explode in the next 3-5 years.

Agreed, it will change beyond all recognition. New Era and all that. I might even like it.

01-24-2017, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2017 06:16 PM by leonbray.)
(01-24-2017 11:56 AM)Yaaay Wrote:  
(01-24-2017 09:34 AM)chemics Wrote:  Get ready, F1 is going to change, if you thought hybrid engines were the end of the world your head will probably explode in the next 3-5 years.

Agreed, it will change beyond all recognition. New Era and all that. I might even like it.

I can see it now - every spectator gets a set of headphones and you can set the engine sound you like for every team on the track - what else would a media company do - just like driving a BMW

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
01-24-2017, 11:40 PM
a beacon of hope, to be sure.
01-25-2017, 10:08 AM
(01-24-2017 11:56 AM)Yaaay Wrote:  

Hopefully Ross being in charge means the tech regs will settle down a bit. It seems like the best racing of the past has come from stability that allows the poorer teams a chance to catch up.

I think the biggest changes will come from playing with the format and media presentation. My bet is we'll see the races get shorter to fit your average spectator having a shorter attention span these days, perhaps even a 2 race format over a weekend as I think has been discussed previously. It will also be interesting to see what happens with the TV coverage.
01-25-2017, 11:16 AM
What if we made all the cars the same? And gave them all roofs? And maybe only raced on circuits with 4 corners? And made the races approx 800km?

[Image: 6p7ymog.jpg]
Copyright - Royal Dutch Dicky Graphic Design
01-25-2017, 01:31 PM
(01-25-2017 11:16 AM)Jackson Wrote:  What if we made all the cars the same? And gave them all roofs? And maybe only raced on circuits with 4 corners? And made the races approx 800km?

We could make it a World Championship....but just race in the USA.
01-25-2017, 05:46 PM
and from Sniff Petrol

Quote:There was chaos in F1 today as drivers and team personnel struggled desperately to think of something nice to say about sacked despot Bernie Ecclestone.

‘I was erring towards, “He did a lot for the sport”,’ explained one team principal. ‘But some bastard got that one first so now I’ll have to come up with another blandly non-committal pleasantry that doesn’t sound too much like “greedy little prick”.’

‘I was going to try, “the sport won’t be the same without him”,’ admitted one current driver. ‘I mean, it’s vague, it’s accurate, and it manages not to contain the words “manipulative little tit”.’

‘I suppose we could get away with, “It’s truly the end of an era” if we put an exclamation mark at the end to hide our feeling of relief behind a false sense of surprise,’ noted another team boss. ‘Unless of course there’s a more polite way of saying “spiteful little s**t”?’

‘We’ll always be indebted to Bernie,’ noted a former manager at the Manor team. ‘No, really. That’s why I’m on my way to the dole office. What a toddler haircut twot. I mean, erm, “Wow, what a legacy!”’

Locator of Shruberies
02-03-2017, 01:58 AM
F1 needs change - it will be interesting to see what eventuates
02-03-2017, 05:11 PM
So far it's enormously better than what could have happened, so let's hope it continues in the same direction.

Regards,
Mark

"A man who took simple pleasure in making things work properly"
[Nigel Roebuck, writing of Bruce McLaren]

"Bruce McLaren was the best person I ever worked for. He was amazing"
[Howden Ganley, 12th September 2009]
03-17-2017, 06:43 PM
Liberty media quote

Quote:I think it’s our job to do far more to help the promoters to be successful. Frankly Bernie’s attitude was, “How much can I extract from them?”

I heard him call them the victims - “How much can I extract, how much up front?”

So we end up with races in places like Baku in Azerbaijan, where they paid us a big race fee, but it does nothing to build the long-term brand and health of the business.

Our job is to find partners who pay us well, but also help us to build the product.

Locator of Shruberies
03-17-2017, 11:39 PM
they are very good at saying the right thing, as one would expect from a media company. let's just hope they follow through.
03-18-2017, 06:23 PM
A lot depends on how the new cars go and how competitive the teams are against Mercedes.

If things go well they will benefit and be given some time to make changes that are truely theirs.

The big question is can they manage the politics of F1
03-18-2017, 08:37 PM
(03-18-2017 06:23 PM)Koala Wrote:  The big question is can they manage the politics of F1

The politics just got fired. The new politics is now Ross Brawn, some other guy and some bloke with an unreasonably large moustache.

03-18-2017, 08:53 PM (This post was last modified: 03-18-2017 10:00 PM by leonbray.)
(03-18-2017 08:37 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  
(03-18-2017 06:23 PM)Koala Wrote:  The big question is can they manage the politics of F1

The politics just got fired. The new politics is now Ross Brawn, some other guy and some bloke with an unreasonably large moustache.

You think they might have something in common with some of the teams

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRATc5PEpxdR10ChdMNJdr...ebywtaPAnW] [Image: Screen-Shot-2014-06-09-at-5.46.52-PM-300x197.png] [Image: _79P0063.jpg?itok=N0MH3R6O]

Locator of Shruberies

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Crap Bernie Says - Chronicle of Bernie's Ramblings for our amusement leonbray 25 2,946 04-02-2016 02:18 PM
Last Post: Neonzapper