Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
THE RETURN OF MASSA
12-15-2016, 05:39 PM
THE RETURN OF MASSA
Felipe Massa is in "advanced talks" with Williams about reversing his decision to retire and return to the team in 2017 if Valtteri Bottas moves to Mercedes, according to a report in L'Equipe.

Bottas' place at Williams suddenly looks in doubt as he has emerged the favourite to replace Nico Rosberg, who retired from F1 less than a week after winning his first world title. Massa stepped away from F1 after the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, his 250th career start, but could be back in white overalls for 2017 if the team loses Bottas.

Though Williams refused to comment on the news of Mercedes' approach for Bottas, the L'Equipe report suggests the team is preparing a contingency plan if the Finn does depart. Technical chief Pat Symonds has said Bottas' experience is crucial for Williams in 2017 as it has signed 18-year-old Canadian Lance Stroll.

Massa's extensive experience would make him a perfect candidate to replace Bottas and would solve the potential dilemma Williams would face in a driver market thin on available candidates.

The report goes on to state Williams will be given a £8.4 million discount on its power unit supply by Mercedes if it releases Bottas from his contract to join the world champions.

"Woof Woof"
[Image: jkvnl4.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-15-2016, 07:27 PM
RE: THE RETURN OF MASSA
Hurrah!

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
12-15-2016, 09:22 PM
It would actually be a very sensible decision, all things considered.

Its too much of a risk to put two Rookies in that Williams. Its too much of a risk to put one Rookie in a Mercedes.

Plus I can't imagine Martin wanting a 18 year old to market a sophisticated drink.

[Image: Martini_Williams_Merc_Group-0535_50m.jpg]

"Woof Woof"
[Image: jkvnl4.jpg]
12-18-2016, 10:12 PM
Oh god, wake me up when 2017 is over.

Regards,
Mark

"A man who took simple pleasure in making things work properly"
[Nigel Roebuck, writing of Bruce McLaren]

"Bruce McLaren was the best person I ever worked for. He was amazing"
[Howden Ganley, 12th September 2009]
12-19-2016, 10:42 AM
(12-18-2016 10:12 PM)drmarkf Wrote:  Oh god, wake me up when 2017 is over.

I know. I thought Massa has made the right decision and walked away when he knew his time was up. I see Williams falling further back into mediocrity in 2017.
12-19-2016, 11:09 AM
Yeah, but it's everything else as well.

LewHam's going to be running away with it: much as I like the guy, Valttieri is unlikely to be any quicker than Pretty Boy Floyd was, especially for the first half-season.

Max and Daniel will be scrapping together and slowing the overall package down even assuming Renault have wrung some more power out of the lump.

With luck Alonso may be up near them & Ferrari (and yes it would give some good racing if he was), but I very much doubt Honda will have improved enough to challenge merc even by the end of the season.

Ferrari will be even deeper in the Bolognese.

And we've got Massa AGAIN!!!!

Bu@@er.

Regards,
Mark

12-19-2016, 11:21 AM
(12-19-2016 11:09 AM)drmarkf Wrote:  Yeah, but it's everything else as well.

LewHam's going to be running away with it: much as I like the guy, Valttieri is unlikely to be any quicker than Pretty Boy Floyd was, especially for the first half-season.

Max and Daniel will be scrapping together and slowing the overall package down even assuming Renault have wrung some more power out of the lump.

With luck Alonso may be up near them & Ferrari (and yes it would give some good racing if he was), but I very much doubt Honda will have improved enough to challenge merc even by the end of the season.

Ferrari will be even deeper in the Bolognese.

And we've got Massa AGAIN!!!!

Bu@@er.

Maybe we will be surprised. The rules are changing again aren't they? Which has a habit of throwing up the odd surprise. I think I read that the power units should be closer as the tokens system is gone (or changed?). If Red Bull get some power out of theirs they should be in with a chance to fight LCH and make for some more interesting fights at the front.
12-19-2016, 11:32 AM
I hope your optimism is justified!

Regards,
Mark

12-19-2016, 11:34 AM
(12-19-2016 11:32 AM)drmarkf Wrote:  I hope your optimism is justified!

If it's boring again there's always bike racing. Smile
12-19-2016, 01:22 PM
Thank god I've got bird watching to fall back on.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]