Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
US Grand Prix
10-22-2016, 01:48 PM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2016 01:49 PM by Nasir.)
US Grand Prix
Greetings from media room at COTA in Austin, another first for F1Weekly. Good to see a lot of media from all across the USA and around the world,. I am sitting next to Peter Nygaard of Grand Prix Photo, thanks to him we have media access.

Faces seen so far while F1 cars on track include Damon Hill, Danny Sullivan and Stefan Johansson.

Here are some quotes from Friday's press conference:

CYRIL ABITEBOUL/RENAULT: On one open seat. "Frankly, nationality, we don't want to start having some tactics in terms of nationality. We want him to be fast, we want him to make some contribution to the team, just like Nico will be doing with his experience....we have a couple of options. "

Bottas is high on their wish list but Frank Williams may not grant their wish. If nationality is not an issue, then K Mag may get a second chance at Enstone after getting the Isaac Hayes treatment - SHAFT - from Ron Dennis.

GENE HAAS/HAAS F1. On sense of pride at home race. "Well, we had a lot of fans on pit road yesterday and it was really heart warming to see the enthusiasm that they all displayed, wanting to get autographs and shake our hands and wish us well. That was great. The city of Austin is a very welcoming city. The people are friendly ; the food is great. "
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-22-2016, 03:29 PM
RE: US Grand Prix
Fantastic!! Make sure you wear your F1Weekly cap with pride Smile

Ad Astra Per Audacia
Find all posts by this user
10-22-2016, 03:30 PM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2016 03:40 PM by Nasir.)
Took a walk in the paddock area, saw Ron Dennis, the Sky F1 crew, Herbert, Hill and Lazenby, Massa, Stoffel, Alexander Rossi, Bernie, Haas, Jost Capito, he is the new head honcho at McLaren.

Did have a brief chat with ex Arrows driver Marc Surer, he gave me his business card and agreed to meet me for an interview, he now lives in Alicante, Spain.
(Attn Dr Miguel, I might be in your neighborhood in December).

Q2 is now on, will attend post quali press conference and also meet the McLaren team at 330 local time.

COTA is a mighty fine place, highly recommended.
10-23-2016, 06:21 AM
I'll have to tape and watch tomorrow night too early in the morning here

Will be interesting to see if Ricciardo benefits from the super softs at the start
10-23-2016, 07:11 AM
(10-23-2016 06:21 AM)Koala Wrote:  I'll have to tape and watch tomorrow night too early in the morning here

Will be interesting to see if Ricciardo benefits from the super softs at the start

Not even being broadcast on Ten

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
10-23-2016, 10:59 AM
Saturday was productive day, after quali met Felipe Nasr and his uncle Amir. We have a deal; we will do a Skype interview after the season is over and next year moi will attend the Brazilian GP. Due to broadcasting rights interviews conducted at the circuit cannot be put on podcast. Both were very nice, as always, and Felipe said his favorite F1 track is Spa.

Also met some old F1W graduates like Alexander Rossi and Rio Haryanto. Rio is hopeful for an F1 return next season. I did mention to him budget required for a back of the bus F1 seat will get him top line drive and package in Indy car racing.

Nando was seen walking aound with a top line packaage on two legs.

I also met Willy T Ribbs, back in his glory days of Trans Am and IMSA racing I did a lot of PR work for him. In 1986 Bernie invited him to test a Brabham F1 car at Estoril. My Danish friend was also there as a photographer. Expect some racing news on Willy T soon.

Finally, LCH and Nico were cool and cordial towards each other in the post-quali press conference.
10-24-2016, 12:38 PM
Great to hear these reports from the cutting edge!

Regards,
Mark

"A man who took simple pleasure in making things work properly"
[Nigel Roebuck, writing of Bruce McLaren]

"Bruce McLaren was the best person I ever worked for. He was amazing"
[Howden Ganley, 12th September 2009]
10-24-2016, 07:04 PM
Sunday was quite an experience in the paddock, both before and after the race. Got to shake hands with Bernie. The Liberty Media Man Chase Carey looked right at home in Texas; he was much in demand.

The Austin track is very well liked by drivers and media people.

James Allen showed some interest in knowing about F1Weekly. Told him proudly our podcast has outlasted the Renault F1 team podcast. He has kindly agreed to meet for an interview on my next trip to F1 Hub.

Daniel Ricciardo, what a guy! The man is always smiling, even when James Allen asked him in the post race interview if getting screwed by VSC brought on by his own teammate hurt more? "Yes, Sir" was his response - with a smile.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Canadian Grand Prix Photos eric4ok 5 263 07-14-2017 12:08 AM
Last Post: Koala
  50 Words on Chinese Grand Prix leonbray 5 236 04-13-2017 04:27 AM
Last Post: drmarkf
  Chinese Grand Prix Nasir 7 381 04-10-2017 11:32 AM
Last Post: eric4ok
  Singapore Grand Prix Neonzapper 3 423 09-18-2016 06:39 PM
Last Post: leonbray