Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
F1 Takeover
09-04-2016, 11:16 PM
F1 Takeover
So should we talk about the rumors about Liberty Media's takeover? Eddie Jordan is saying Bernie could be out by Singapore.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/s...erty-media

[Image: 6p7ymog.jpg]
Copyright - Royal Dutch Dicky Graphic Design
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2016, 01:45 AM
RE: F1 Takeover
anyone who is interested in f1 still existing 20 years from now should welcome any shift in ownership/operations to anyone with a vision for the future.
09-05-2016, 03:41 PM
Like him or not, I have read that Eddie Jordan is very accurate in his predictions.

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
09-06-2016, 08:43 AM
This is exciting. I think we might rue the loss of Bernie.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
09-06-2016, 09:05 AM
(09-06-2016 08:43 AM)Yaaay Wrote:  This is exciting. I think we might rue the loss of Bernie.

Just bring back Flav and Max and it will be as crazy as ever

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
09-06-2016, 11:10 AM
It looks like the teams will be shareholders, which is something they have talked about for a long time. And it makes sense, the teams will have an investment to protect. Online media streaming also seems to be a big point in this transaction. I'm hearing rumors (I believe from the James Allen blog) that Netflix and Amazon are both interested in broadcast rights.

09-06-2016, 03:01 PM
(09-06-2016 11:10 AM)Jackson Wrote:  It looks like the teams will be shareholders, which is something they have talked about for a long time. And it makes sense, the teams will have an investment to protect. Online media streaming also seems to be a big point in this transaction. I'm hearing rumors (I believe from the James Allen blog) that Netflix and Amazon are both interested in broadcast rights.

Teams as owners sounds like a recipe for disaster to me given that they are all self interested as far as that involves gaining an advantage to win regardless of anything else. They can also never agree on anything, which was why Bernie could always get the better of them when they never maintained a united front against him.

Hopefully the new owners realise that there is far more money to be made from growing the sport than extorting a few more million from the tracks and pushing races to stupid locations with no fans. Given how well US Sports seem to sell themselves I have some hope.
09-06-2016, 03:25 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2016 03:35 PM by Neonzapper.)
I don't see how the teams could ideally get along fairly. What percentage of ownership would each team have? How will ownership affect the sale of a team (as well as percentage and voice to a startup team)? Will there be a team round table or independent management company overseeing team bylaws?

I think new ownership with an interest in the fan is more important than controlling every financial aspect of the sport. But this will involve the owners reading fan forums, listening to F1 podcasts, and interviewing spectators on the other side of the VIP section of the paddocks.

Oh, the humanity!

09-06-2016, 04:13 PM
(09-06-2016 03:25 PM)Neonzapper Wrote:  I don't see how the teams could ideally get along fairly. What percentage of ownership would each team have? How will ownership affect the sale of a team (as well as percentage and voice to a startup team)? Will there be a team round table or independent management company overseeing team bylaws?

I think new ownership with an interest in the fan is more important than controlling every financial aspect of the sport. But this will involve the owners reading fan forums, listening to F1 podcasts, and interviewing spectators on the other side of the VIP section of the paddocks.

Oh, the humanity!

I think ignoring fan forums and fans at the track would be a good practice to continue, it's such a small minority of the general fanbase and by no means representative (think how many people you know that are fans like the people here or other fan forums). As much as we'd like the forum dwellers to have a voice I bet their wants are significantly different to many casual or potential casual fan.

I'm sure it's the same in most other sports. Of the millions who tune into the NFL each week I bet only a tiny percentage also go to a stadium or go on forums to discuss the games.
09-07-2016, 12:20 AM
teams as owners doesn't concern me. works fine for every american sports league. i'm more interested in the relationship with the fia.
09-07-2016, 02:01 AM
(09-06-2016 04:13 PM)chemics Wrote:  I think ignoring fan forums and fans at the track would be a good practice to continue, it's such a small minority of the general fanbase and by no means representative (think how many people you know that are fans like the people here or other fan forums). As much as we'd like the forum dwellers to have a voice I bet their wants are significantly different to many casual or potential casual fan.

I'm sure it's the same in most other sports. Of the millions who tune into the NFL each week I bet only a tiny percentage also go to a stadium or go on forums to discuss the games.
Well, had you said soccer, I would have agreed. NFL fans who do not attend games are as passionate as the 90,000 fans filling our local stadium for each game, but that's a phenomenon for another thread.

Eventually new management will take over for Bernie. I hope the fans will gravitate toward the sport in fairness for each team.

09-07-2016, 10:52 AM
So three more years of Bernie?
http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/37298242

09-07-2016, 12:33 PM
(09-07-2016 10:52 AM)Jackson Wrote:  So three more years of Bernie?
http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/37298242

Makes sense, they are due to start negotiating with teams on the next Concord agreement soon I think, so he would be in place to help oversee that. Even if they intended to do the negotiations themselves they would be well placed to have Bernie on hand for advice on how to deal with teams and the politics in play that take years to learn.
09-07-2016, 02:23 PM
After running the show for 40 years, it would be irresponsible to not have him consulting in some form. I wonder if his involvement will taper out slowly over the next three years to where he will be mostly removed from the daily grind in the last year. When he's 88. And (more) senile. Like Yaaay.

09-07-2016, 02:31 PM
(09-07-2016 02:23 PM)Jackson Wrote:  After running the show for 40 years, it would be irresponsible to not have him consulting in some form. I wonder if his involvement will taper out slowly over the next three years to where he will be mostly removed from the daily grind in the last year. When he's 88. And (more) senile. Like Yaaay.

My guess is he'll stay as long as he possibly can with as much influence as he can. I'm pretty sure the only thing that will make him stop is ill health or death.
09-07-2016, 02:38 PM
If I could remember what I came in here for I would be offended.

09-07-2016, 03:00 PM
(09-07-2016 02:38 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  If I could remember what I came in here for I would be offended.

Good job your Tesla will do most of the driving for you when you get it. At least you'll arrive in one piece....even if you don't remember why you went there.
09-07-2016, 10:18 PM
Lovely laughter. Thanks for posting.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2016, 04:27 PM
(09-07-2016 03:00 PM)chemics Wrote:  
(09-07-2016 02:38 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  If I could remember what I came in here for I would be offended.

Good job your Tesla will do most of the driving for you when you get it. At least you'll arrive in one piece....even if you don't remember why you went there.

I can't remember if I ordered it or not.

09-08-2016, 06:26 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2016 10:00 PM by Neonzapper.)
New F1 chief (Chase Carey) promises “bigger than ever” sport for fans and teams

“I’m very excited to be joining this team and the potential ahead,” said Carey. “Clearly Formula 1 has been an enormous success much to the credit of Bernie Ecclestone, who has led this business for decades. I look forward to working with him and we both agree there is an opportunity to continue to build this business and take it to the next level."

Bernie was asked to stick around for another 3 years.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/new-f1...ms-820386/

09-08-2016, 09:59 PM
[Image: v2wdbc.png]

09-09-2016, 11:16 AM
A substantial investment

I wonder if they will be less passive investors
09-09-2016, 05:46 PM
(09-09-2016 11:16 AM)Koala Wrote:  A substantial investment

I wonder if they will be less passive investors
Certainly looks like it

"The opportunity is to grow and develop this sport for the benefit of the fans, teams, partners and our shareholders by increasing promotion and marketing of Formula 1 as a sport and brand," he said.

"Enhancing the distribution of content, especially in digital - currently a very small percentage of revenue."

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
09-09-2016, 06:00 PM
If this stops Hamilton winning everything because he is in the right car a the right time then fine.

09-09-2016, 09:19 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2016 09:20 PM by frankdouglason.)
upgrading their digital product is long overdue. as soon as you get things out of octogenarian hands, it becomes the obvious thing to do. i'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

talking about growth makes me nervous. f1 was too growth obsessed before (growing into asian markets that aren't interested, growing into more mainstream fanbases that aren't interested) and it caused f1 to be stretched and strained in my view. sometimes you're better off contracting a bit, better serving your current customers, improving the product, and letting the growth come naturally later. of course, that's a long game and most investors are only looking at the next quarter.