Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Top Gear
05-30-2016, 04:59 PM
New Top Gear
Just wondered whether any of my international friends had any views on the new top gear staring Chris Evans and that bloke off friends

"Woof Woof"
[Image: jkvnl4.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-30-2016, 05:03 PM
RE: New Top Gear
Am I not international?

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
05-30-2016, 05:36 PM
maybe it's that you're not a friend?

i haven't seen the new one. i don't think it's started airing in america yet, judging by the lack of the advertising onslaught i would expect to accompany its premier. frankly, i'm not very interested. i'm slightly more intrigued by the amazon show that the trio are working on. that's the real new top gear in my mind. though i'm not exactly tingling with anticipation for that either. top gear lost my interest over the last few years.
05-30-2016, 06:19 PM
Is this what being trolled is?

05-30-2016, 07:54 PM
Same old same old.

TG was getting stale with the previous lot and replacing them while keeping the same format doesn't help.

We don't need two stars in a no longer reasonably priced car either especially when one of them (the American guy with the German name) is a complete unknown, to me anyway.
05-31-2016, 08:03 AM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2016 08:09 AM by Neonzapper.)
I saw the TG commercial a few times, but haven't seen the new show. In the commercial, an off-road vehicle slowly tips over as the two other hosts are laughing in the distance. Not sure when or where it airs, but I'll do a search.

America has become inundated with about 20 different half-hour car shows now. At first, the History Channel veered away from its mainstream to bring a few car shows, then the Discovery Channel got into the act with a few car shows. Before too long, both channels were dominating nearly 40% of their programming with car shows. This lead to the creation of the Velocity Channel which only airs car shows. Somewhere in this quagmire, the TG USA can be found, but I want to check it out. Tanner Foust is a fantastic driver, and is informative about his experiences in cars. I'm not sure how the chemistry and format will go over, but it's worth a view.

As I understand it, the original TG BBC guys will have their own TG format on Amazon Prime.

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
05-31-2016, 08:14 AM
It's a shame they kept the old format, it was an opportunity to reinvent the show. I like Chris Evans. Chris Harris is a good addition as well. I'll reserve judgement on Matt LeBlanc, but I think he is a genuine petrol head. Old Top Gear held no interest to me because of the presenters, Clarkson is offensive and Hammond just came off as a wannabe Clarkson. I know Clarkson was playing a character to appeal to a mass audience, it just wasn't for me. I suspect I'm the minority that just wanted a car show, so I should probably go watch 5th gear with the old old Top Gear presenters..
05-31-2016, 10:45 AM
Previously, TG was shown on BBC America in first run after it had already run in the UK. But last year BBC America showed it parallel, so it ran on the same days as the UK. When I saw Twitter lighting up about the new TG, I looked at the BBC America schedule and it was just replaying old episodes on Sunday.

[Image: 6p7ymog.jpg]
Copyright - Royal Dutch Dicky Graphic Design
05-31-2016, 05:16 PM
(05-31-2016 08:14 AM)chemics Wrote:  It's a shame they kept the old format, it was an opportunity to reinvent the show. I like Chris Evans. Chris Harris is a good addition as well. I'll reserve judgement on Matt LeBlanc, but I think he is a genuine petrol head. Old Top Gear held no interest to me because of the presenters, Clarkson is offensive and Hammond just came off as a wannabe Clarkson. I know Clarkson was playing a character to appeal to a mass audience, it just wasn't for me. I suspect I'm the minority that just wanted a car show, so I should probably go watch 5th gear with the old old Top Gear presenters..

I completely agree.

I think the format will change slowly over the coming series and I think that is deliberate, they need to find out what will and won't work with this team.

I actually thought Matt was good, but the USAvsUK thing will wear thin very quickly.

06-26-2016, 01:40 PM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2016 01:41 PM by Neonzapper.)
I haven't seen the American Top Gear yet. I recently watched another American car show, and the hosts were saying it needs some time to see where they are going.

As for the U.K. Top Gear, it is the opinion of these same car show hosts that Chris Evans is ruining the show and he needs to go.

Now, I'm very curious what all the fuss is about.

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
06-27-2016, 01:17 PM
(06-26-2016 01:40 PM)Neonzapper Wrote:  I haven't seen the American Top Gear yet. I recently watched another American car show, and the hosts were saying it needs some time to see where they are going.

As for the U.K. Top Gear, it is the opinion of these same car show hosts that Chris Evans is ruining the show and he needs to go.

Now, I'm very curious what all the fuss is about.

I heard he is very shouty.

By all accounts Chris Harris is the best thing on there and seems to be very popular.
06-27-2016, 03:00 PM
Chris Evans is a bit annoying, but no more than Clarkson was. It is settling down nicely, the third episode was very predictable and samey, so back to normal there.

Matt leBlanc is doing a very good job as is Sabine, Harris and the other one.

If you want a look on Iplayer I can lend you a British IP.

06-27-2016, 03:04 PM
(06-27-2016 03:00 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  Chris Evans is a bit annoying, but no more than Clarkson was. It is settling down nicely, the third episode was very predictable and samey, so back to normal there.

Matt leBlanc is doing a very good job as is Sabine, Harris and the other one.

If you want a look on Iplayer I can lend you a British IP.

I have one, if you could lend me a spare hour that would be more use!

My mother arrives from the UK tomorrow...except she has somehow overlooked that her internal flight to Glasgow only lands 1h10m before her international flight to Canada on a different carrier that has a 60 minute check-in/baggage check cut-off. So that could be interesting! She's never one to let doing a bit of research (and using common sense) get in the way of some wild assumptions. Thankfully she has at least checked in electronically, so we'll see how it all pans out, I may just have a little more time to get ready than first planned.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Top Gear 2013 Cé hé sin 22 3,360 02-15-2016 07:07 AM
Last Post: Koala
  Is it the end of Top Gear? jccaruso 36 5,866 12-23-2010 08:48 PM
Last Post: Yaaay
  US Top Gear François.cevert 56 10,293 11-30-2010 12:20 AM
Last Post: frankdouglason
  Brawn GP gear available tsarcasm 28 8,446 05-02-2009 04:56 PM
Last Post: Yaaay