Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
electric ferrari 308
05-31-2016, 09:31 PM
RE: electric ferrari 308
Thanks for posting the picture, Chemics. I like the front end.

(05-30-2016 07:28 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  I have joined the 3 order scheme and will be in an S before the year is out. So I will have a Tesla and a Ferrari 308 in the garage. Is this OK?
+1 PERFECT!!!

I thought I made an okay little profit, but kick myself daily for selling my Ferrari just months before the price started skyrocketing. Hang on to yours, Yaaay! Sad

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2016, 10:39 AM
I suspect the 3 order scheme will see a lot of drop outs. It seemed to me like a lot of people wanted to put their $1000 down just to say they had a deposit on one. I'm sure the reality of putting the other $34k down or financing it will put many off when the time comes. It's pretty smart really, it's a nice interest free loan to Tesla until they have their product ready. I'm sure there are plenty of others that didn't put money down that have a more serious interest but are waiting to see how it pans out.
06-03-2016, 12:42 PM
(05-31-2016 09:31 PM)Neonzapper Wrote:  I thought I made an okay little profit, but kick myself daily for selling my Ferrari just months before the price started skyrocketing. Hang on to yours, Yaaay! Sad

I made that mistake with the 288, it's worth 10x what I sold it for 6 years ago. I am keeping the 308 for now but mine is probably the second least desirable 308. We'll see.

(06-03-2016 10:39 AM)chemics Wrote:  I suspect the 3 order scheme will see a lot of drop outs. It seemed to me like a lot of people wanted to put their $1000 down just to say they had a deposit on one. I'm sure the reality of putting the other $34k down or financing it will put many off when the time comes. It's pretty smart really, it's a nice interest free loan to Tesla until they have their product ready. I'm sure there are plenty of others that didn't put money down that have a more serious interest but are waiting to see how it pans out.

What might happen is what I might be doing, the model 3 won't be in my drive until sometime in 2018, so I will get a second hand S "to see me through". But then, why would I want such a downgrade when the time comes?

Also, I just went to find the receipt for my £1k deposit - err - I hope they have good records.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
06-03-2016, 12:49 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2016 12:54 PM by chemics.)
(06-03-2016 12:42 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  
(05-31-2016 09:31 PM)Neonzapper Wrote:  I thought I made an okay little profit, but kick myself daily for selling my Ferrari just months before the price started skyrocketing. Hang on to yours, Yaaay! Sad

I made that mistake with the 288, it's worth 10x what I sold it for 6 years ago. I am keeping the 308 for now but mine is probably the second least desirable 308. We'll see.

(06-03-2016 10:39 AM)chemics Wrote:  I suspect the 3 order scheme will see a lot of drop outs. It seemed to me like a lot of people wanted to put their $1000 down just to say they had a deposit on one. I'm sure the reality of putting the other $34k down or financing it will put many off when the time comes. It's pretty smart really, it's a nice interest free loan to Tesla until they have their product ready. I'm sure there are plenty of others that didn't put money down that have a more serious interest but are waiting to see how it pans out.

What might happen is what I might be doing, the model 3 won't be in my drive until sometime in 2018 2020, so I will get a second hand S "to see me through". But then, why would I want such a downgrade when the time comes?

Also, I just went to find the receipt for my £1k deposit - err - I hope they have good records.

Fixed it for you Wink

(06-03-2016 12:42 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  

What might happen is what I might be doing, the model 3 won't be in my drive until sometime in 2018, so I will get a second hand S "to see me through". But then, why would I want such a downgrade when the time comes?

I suspect there are 2 types of customer, those that could afford a used S and will do as you do, and those that just love the idea of an electric and will be stretching to afford it. I wonder how many people that typically shop in the $35-55k range will be tempted out of their BMW/Audi/Mercedes. Time will tell, a lot will depend on your lifestyle. For those with a shortish commute that don't need the longer range, or little enough they can always hire a car for those trips, it makes a lot of sense. Battery drain parked on the street in winter will be an interesting issue, I doubt many S get parked outside, but not everyone at the 3 price point has an indoor location to park overnight.
06-03-2016, 06:12 PM
I think, if you are right with the 2020 (but Elon promised me), then there may be some states and even countries that will only allow electric cars to be sold.

2020 is projected to be when a battery/electric powertrain cost dips below the cost of a petrol/gas drive chain. Cost per mile is irrelevant as unsubsidised electric will always be below unsubsidised gasoline. That is for politicians to work out, unfortunately, as they are a bunch of twats.

06-03-2016, 07:43 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2016 07:45 PM by leonbray.)
If I ever get enough coin then I'll go electric and charge it from the bank of solar cells on the roof of my shed. Great thing about being semi-retired and working from home is that I can have it plugged in during the day and charging off the sunshine. I'd also love to convert one of my Cougars to electric - just need to get hold of a hail damaged Leaf write off or similar

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
06-06-2016, 09:00 AM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2016 09:12 AM by chemics.)
(06-03-2016 07:43 PM)leonbray Wrote:  If I ever get enough coin then I'll go electric and charge it from the bank of solar cells on the roof of my shed. Great thing about being semi-retired and working from home is that I can have it plugged in during the day and charging off the sunshine. I'd also love to convert one of my Cougars to electric - just need to get hold of a hail damaged Leaf write off or similar

I think the price of a used Leaf is getting low enough that you could probably find some change down the back of the sofa to buy one.

(06-03-2016 06:12 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  I think, if you are right with the 2020 (but Elon promised me), then there may be some states and even countries that will only allow electric cars to be sold.

2020 is projected to be when a battery/electric powertrain cost dips below the cost of a petrol/gas drive chain. Cost per mile is irrelevant as unsubsidised electric will always be below unsubsidised gasoline. That is for politicians to work out, unfortunately, as they are a bunch of twats.

Elon only said the first one would be ready in late 2017, I'm not convinced they will be at trouble free mass production to meet the full demand in time to avoid delays for anyone further down the order book. We'll see, their biggest challenge is still making the batteries at the right cost to make the 3 profitable.

I'm convinced there is a huge leap in battery tech coming now more research is being focused on it. Hopefully Tesla don't get steamrollered once the big auto manufacturers throw some serious money at the market as the tech develops.
06-06-2016, 09:49 AM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2016 09:49 AM by Yaaay.)
http://www.independent.co.uk/environment...65616.html

Elon is getting into a position where he is the only one that can make batteries in any sensible volume. From there, unless someone invents something else, he controls the world. Mwhahahaha. I bet he will have a pretty cool secret lair.

Oh, I forgot, he is buggering off to Mars to die there. Thanks Elon.

06-06-2016, 10:07 AM
(06-06-2016 09:49 AM)Yaaay Wrote:  http://www.independent.co.uk/environment...65616.html

Elon is getting into a position where he is the only one that can make batteries in any sensible volume. From there, unless someone invents something else, he controls the world. Mwhahahaha. I bet he will have a pretty cool secret lair.

Oh, I forgot, he is buggering off to Mars to die there. Thanks Elon.

I wonder what happens when a new battery tech comes out though? I'm certain nobody is going to let him be the only big player in the market, but maybe he will get enough of a head start to still be a player when all the big car makers throw money at it.