Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
electric ferrari 308
05-24-2016, 09:14 PM
electric ferrari 308
https://www.wired.com/2016/05/drive-elec...dnt-exist/

looks like a fun car, and all the more so for how much it needles stodgy traditionalists.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-25-2016, 01:25 PM
RE: electric ferrari 308
That is a nice job.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
05-26-2016, 09:51 AM
Nice idea, part of the reason it works so well is that they under endowed it with batteries to keep weight down. 80 miles seems light even for an occasional use car, especially as most estimates of range are based on sedate driving.

Hopefully someone comes up with the leap in battery tech needed to make electric vehicles more mainstream soon.
05-26-2016, 09:55 AM (This post was last modified: 05-26-2016 09:56 AM by Jackson.)
One of the best looking electric cars I've ever seen.

Update: I don't like a silent Ferrari, though.

[Image: 6p7ymog.jpg]
Copyright - Royal Dutch Dicky Graphic Design
05-26-2016, 06:59 PM
(05-26-2016 09:55 AM)Jackson Wrote:  One of the best looking electric cars I've ever seen.

Update: I don't like a silent Ferrari, though.
EXACTLY what I have been thinking since I saw this thread.

Also, I admit I like hotrods, and other altered vehicles, however I'm an old school treaditionalist who prefers unaltered stock automobiles as they left the factory.

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
05-26-2016, 09:24 PM
(05-26-2016 06:59 PM)Neonzapper Wrote:  Also, I admit I like hotrods, and other altered vehicles, however I'm an old school treaditionalist who prefers unaltered stock automobiles as they left the factory.

can you explain this, please? that looks like a direct contradiction to me, like saying "i admit to liking apples, but i don't like apples." by hotrod, do you mean something assembled from scratch out of various parts, that was never a turnkey car offered for sale?
05-27-2016, 01:31 AM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2016 01:48 AM by leonbray.)
(05-26-2016 09:24 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  
(05-26-2016 06:59 PM)Neonzapper Wrote:  Also, I admit I like hotrods, and other altered vehicles, however I'm an old school treaditionalist who prefers unaltered stock automobiles as they left the factory.

can you explain this, please? that looks like a direct contradiction to me, like saying "i admit to liking apples, but i don't like apples." by hotrod, do you mean something assembled from scratch out of various parts, that was never a turnkey car offered for sale?

Many of us appreciate all forms of automotive engineering and marvel at the skills involved in producing them, but we have a preference for one particular style

A hot rod is a pre-1949 production vehicle with uprated running gear, not a vehicle as it came down the production line. Although the term is used generically for a quick modified vehicle

[Image: cars-1932-ford-coupe-retro-classic-cars-...res-hd.jpg]

1949 - 1964 modified production vehicles are generally known as customs

[Image: 61852_Front_3-4_Web.jpg]

Post 64 highly modified production vehicles are often classed as street-machines

[Image: 210257.jpg]

These classes generally refer to modified domestic vehicles and don't normally include sports cars

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
05-27-2016, 03:25 AM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2016 03:27 AM by frankdouglason.)
okay, good info, thank you.

so, if neonzapper uses those strict definitions (which i'm skeptical of), i'd then be curious about what is it about the year 1949 that makes prior cars fun to modify and posterior cars not so much. i'm still confused by the notion of liking hot rods but thinking it's better to not modify cars.

where did those definitions come from, leonbray? they are very specific about terms that i usually hear thrown around loosely, so i wonder what the authority is.
05-27-2016, 07:53 AM
I promise to explain myself, frank. I'm enjoying my breakfast now.

05-27-2016, 08:17 AM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2016 08:22 AM by leonbray.)
(05-27-2016 03:25 AM)frankdouglason Wrote:  okay, good info, thank you.

so, if neonzapper uses those strict definitions (which i'm skeptical of), i'd then be curious about what is it about the year 1949 that makes prior cars fun to modify and posterior cars not so much. i'm still confused by the notion of liking hot rods but thinking it's better to not modify cars.

where did those definitions come from, leonbray? they are very specific about terms that i usually hear thrown around loosely, so i wonder what the authority is.

definitions come from the Hot Rod federation

Quote:STREET ROD – Definition
A Street Rod is a vehicle, the body and frame of which were manufactured prior to the year 1949, and which has been modified for safe road use; or a replica thereof which has also been modified for safe road use.

CUSTOM – Definition
A Custom shall mean a vehicle which was manufactured between 1949 and 1965 inclusive (or retains original body styling through to the termination of the manufacturing design) and which has been modified for safe road use.

There is debate around the cut off for custom 1964, 1965, 1969 which varies depending on what has been adopted by each country's federation

Not sure of the origin of the cut off date. Some people argue that 1934/35 was the last year from which a hot rod could be built and 1935 to 1949 are all street rods. Some people also argue that any full fendered car is a street rod, even if it is a Model A, 32 or 34 Ford, or equivalent.

Locator of Shruberies
05-28-2016, 12:43 AM
(05-27-2016 07:53 AM)Neonzapper Wrote:  I promise to explain myself, frank. I'm enjoying my breakfast now.

[Image: giphy.gif]
05-28-2016, 01:48 PM (This post was last modified: 05-28-2016 02:03 PM by Neonzapper.)
Thanks for waiting, frank. Unfortunately, my long boring explanation will be just as exciting as the wait.

I posted: "I admit I like hotrods, and other altered vehicles, however I'm an old school traditionalist who prefers unaltered stock automobiles as they left the factory.

My explanation of the comments (and other altered vehicles, and prefers) are as follows:

Like everyone of the F1Weekly Familia, I'm a car nut and can find something interesting about almost every car I see. Of course, like every one, I have preferences.

For example: In 1958, most Americans thought the Ford Edsel was not only ugly, but it also looked like it was sucking on a lemon. Based on this car, the term, lemon is still used today as a description of a [lousy] car. Conversely, most Americans saw the Duesenberg as an extraordinarily over-the-top vehicle and the term, doozy became applicable in the American vernacular to describe anything of that nature. I find both vehicles appealing. I love the dashboard and multitude of chrome on the Edsel. Since preference is subjective, I offered mine.

To your analogy (not my meaning): "...i admit to liking apples, but i don't like apples", I would clarify by saying my preference for stock apples (directly from the tree) supersedes my liking of candy apples. I find both apples to be delicious.

Further, I prefer Formula 1 over NASCAR, and I preferred early NASCAR over today's NASCAR. Originally, the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing comprised of only stock (unaltered as they left the factory) automobiles.

To your comment, "i'm still confused by the notion of liking hot rods but thinking it's better to not modify cars", I hope this post helps with the clarification. I'm glad the invention of fiberglass and rapid prototyping have helped save some of the earlier cars in their original unaltered form from being lost to the world. This doesn't mean that I can't appreciate the amount of hard work that makes hot rods and other types of altered vehicles (ie: customs and street machines, etc.) so nice to appreciate. I like them, too. It's about preference.

While I may still like a candy-apple-red T-bucket with chrome pipes, skinny bicycle tires on chrome wire wheels and Mickey Thompson slicks, I still find it sad that by the '50s (less than half the time since a record number 15 million Ford Model T's were produced), more than two-thirds did not survive originality after being altered. I prefer the original unaltered and actually cringe when I witness someone ripping one apart just for the tub which can be easily reproduced in fiberglass for a small fee. I liken it to killing buffalo for pleasure in the 1800's.

Look at the original A.C. Ace roadster. After Carroll Shelby made the Cobra, aftermarket searches nearly destroyed all the leftover original unalterred Ace roadsters. Today, fiberglass cobra kit cars have ensured that the original "kit car" (Cobra) will be easily reproduced.

How many 1963 Corvette split-window coupes were produced? The answer is a lot less than are being driven around today. Most back windows are altered.

So, while I admit I like hot rods, and other altered vehicles, I'm an old school traditionalist who prefers unaltered stock automobiles as they left the factory.

The Ferrari 308 with batteries is unique and I like it. I don't dislike it, but prefer installing a 3.0L V8 from a salvaged or rebuilt Ferrari 308 engine to maintain as much originality as possible. I do like battery technology and own a Hybrid, but it's been done already and it's not my preference for the conversion of a 308. Elon Musk didn't rip up a 308 when he built the first Tesla Roadster, but I think the style of vehicle was understandable, because of the beauty of the car.

05-28-2016, 03:30 PM
gotcha
05-28-2016, 05:27 PM (This post was last modified: 05-28-2016 06:21 PM by Yaaay.)
Well I liked it.

I think an electric NSX would be fantastic.

05-30-2016, 11:39 AM
(05-28-2016 05:27 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  Well I liked it.

I think an electric NSX would be fantastic.

Just don't put petrol in it if you get one. I think you are good for a few miles. Smile

Our CEO/Owner has a Tesla model S, he says it's amazing to drive.

He also has a drop top E-Type.
05-30-2016, 12:02 PM
quieter, smell better, smoother acceleration, instant torque, cheaper fuel, plenty of range for 99% of people on 99% of days, and they're getting better every day. it's the future, and i can't wait.
05-30-2016, 06:47 PM (This post was last modified: 05-30-2016 06:52 PM by leonbray.)
I can't wait for all these electric autonomous modules to get on the road. I'm going to fire up my noisy, grumpy, petrol eating Eliminator and go for a blast down the freeway and watch all the autonomous modules get out of my way so they can avoid the pending accident

...but I do like the idea of an electric car for everyday use. Something like this

[Image: fvt-evaro-in-green-and-orange.jpg]

Locator of Shruberies
05-30-2016, 07:28 PM
I have joined the 3 order scheme and will be in an S before the year is out. So I will have a Tesla and a Ferrari 308 in the garage. Is this OK?

05-31-2016, 08:08 AM
(05-30-2016 07:28 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  I have joined the 3 order scheme and will be in an S before the year is out. So I will have a Tesla and a Ferrari 308 in the garage. Is this OK?

This is perfect, and probably more of the norm for owners of the S.

While an S is OK for 99% of the time it doesn't cover all bases and most people who can afford one can afford another car or two to go alongside it.

Are you going to buy or lease Yaaay?
05-31-2016, 08:17 AM
My street has 4 Tesla S owners. The new S comes out soon and I want to see what it looks like.

05-31-2016, 08:55 AM
(05-31-2016 08:17 AM)Neonzapper Wrote:  My street has 4 Tesla S owners. The new S comes out soon and I want to see what it looks like.

[Image: 7651.jpg]
05-31-2016, 10:41 AM
(05-30-2016 07:28 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  I have joined the 3 order scheme and will be in an S before the year is out. So I will have a Tesla and a Ferrari 308 in the garage. Is this OK?

Can you swap the motors in them? Then there will be 2 electric 308s in the world.
And a petrol S, which would be even more unique.

05-31-2016, 11:42 AM
(05-31-2016 10:41 AM)Jackson Wrote:  

Can you swap the motors in them? Then there will be 2 electric 308s in the world.

Good luck finding a spot to put the 308 motor in the Model S...or all the other running gear you need that isn't there.
05-31-2016, 02:16 PM
I can't get over the front of the tesla s. it looks like a vapid girl puckering her lips for a selfie.
05-31-2016, 02:27 PM
(05-31-2016 11:42 AM)chemics Wrote:  
(05-31-2016 10:41 AM)Jackson Wrote:  

Good luck finding a spot to put the 308 motor in the Model S...or all the other running gear you need that isn't there.

You just have to believe.