Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Driverless Trucks?
05-18-2016, 07:53 PM
Driverless Trucks?
Google already has self-driving cars, but now, Google, OTTO and a few other start-up companies are testing the roads with 18 wheeled trucks...

http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/17/technolo...ng-trucks/

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-2016, 08:54 PM
RE: Driverless Trucks?
it seems like the most obvious use for self-driving technology. unfortunately, it's going to create some really nasty unemployment problems if it becomes widespread.
05-18-2016, 11:54 PM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2016 12:03 AM by Neonzapper.)
Our host may be one of the first to ride the newest piece of transportation technology coming to his area...Elon Musk's Hyperloop:

(05-18-2016 08:54 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  it seems like the most obvious use for self-driving technology. unfortunately, it's going to create some really nasty unemployment problems if it becomes widespread.
NASA is currently working on a way to mine metal and minerals from other planets with robots. There will be no need for dangerous human interaction and the entire project will be powered by clean, free energy.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/12/nasa-...ing-robot/

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
05-19-2016, 12:12 AM
i like the idea of high speed rail, but it doesn't make sense to me in the vast majority of america, because we don't have good public transportation in most cities. so you get there cheaply, quickly, and cleanly, but then you need your car which is still back at home.

unmanned space expeditions make tons of sense to me. robots are far more tolerant of the environment, g-forces, energy sources, and time away from relatives that comes with space travel.
05-19-2016, 07:26 AM
(05-19-2016 12:12 AM)frankdouglason Wrote:  i like the idea of high speed rail, but it doesn't make sense to me in the vast majority of america, because we don't have good public transportation in most cities. so you get there cheaply, quickly, and cleanly, but then you need your car which is still back at home.

unmanned space expeditions make tons of sense to me. robots are far more tolerant of the environment, g-forces, energy sources, and time away from relatives that comes with space travel.

high speed rail makes sense if you can have your autonomous driving vehicle park itself in a module for a fast long distance transit

i don't know why people keep promoting urban rail solutions when autonomous modules will fill the roads within 10 years

best part about autonomous modules is that they are programmed to avoid an accident, so i will be able to blast down the freeway and the suckers will get out of my lane ..

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
05-19-2016, 10:54 AM
(05-18-2016 07:53 PM)Neonzapper Wrote:  Google already has self-driving cars, but now, Google, OTTO and a few other start-up companies are testing the roads with 18 wheeled trucks...

http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/17/technolo...ng-trucks/

I find amazing that Portuguese taxi drivers are up in arms against Uber when... it's like the Dodo fighting an invasion of swallows.
Blessed are the poor in spirit...

Ad Astra Per Audacia
05-19-2016, 02:28 PM
High speed rail makes sense for moving goods around, not people.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
05-24-2016, 12:00 PM
(05-18-2016 08:54 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  it seems like the most obvious use for self-driving technology. unfortunately, it's going to create some really nasty unemployment problems if it becomes widespread.

when it becomes widespread. commercial driving isn't something I'd want to start as a long term career right now. I'd guess long distance trucking will be automated just as soon as it can be legally. No more pesky rest stops for drivers or wages to pay. You could have the roads full of automated trucks at night.
05-24-2016, 03:47 PM
(05-24-2016 12:00 PM)chemics Wrote:  

when it becomes widespread. commercial driving isn't something I'd want to start as a long term career right now. I'd guess long distance trucking will be automated just as soon as it can be legally. No more pesky rest stops for drivers or wages to pay. You could have the roads full of automated trucks at night.

that all makes total sense to me, but i've learned to never underestimate the ability of moneyed entrenched interests to maintain the status quo against the forces of logic and progress. in 2014, 29 of the 50 american states had commercial driving as the number 1 most common job. that's not an industry that is agile and eager for revolutionary change.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2015/0...very-state
05-25-2016, 01:27 PM
Isn't this the rise of home delivery drivers? Now all shops and supermarkets have fleets of delivery trucks and so on. This will be harder to automate but the long distance truckie is more easily replaced.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
05-25-2016, 08:01 PM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2016 08:01 PM by frankdouglason.)
(05-25-2016 01:27 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  Now all shops and supermarkets have fleets of delivery trucks and so on.

not where i live. i could be wrong, but i get the impression that stuff is still restricted to selected large metropolitan areas in america.

heck, some of the pizzerias in my town don't even deliver.