Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2016 F1 Races Might Incorporate Two New Awards
01-19-2016, 10:24 PM (This post was last modified: 01-19-2016 10:32 PM by Neonzapper.)
2016 F1 Races Might Incorporate Two New Awards
Two new awards might be added to each race of the 2016 F1 season.

In order to get fans more involved, F1 Bosses want fans to vote on social media for "Driver of the Day" and "Best Overtaking Move". To encourage more overtaking, bosses are asking for more leniency from Stewards regarding penalties.

An award for each category would be presented at the end of each race.

Details haven't completely been finalized, but it is hoped this will encourage more fan participation.

If this actually happens, would any one be interested in updating the F1Weekly Prediction Competition to include one or both of these awards? If this happens, I'm for adding it to our competition.

With Bernie involved, my cynical side tells me this vote may only count from a social media member-only ('pay') site, but I hope not.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-bos...ce-668813/

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-20-2016, 09:04 AM
RE: 2016 F1 Races Might Incorporate Two New Awards
Hopefully they look at the NHL allstar game and realise how badly this could go wrong when Crashtor wins driver of the day every weekend he takes someone out.
01-20-2016, 03:18 PM
The best overtaking move could throw in some fun variables. For instance, if Merc dominates, it's less-than-likely that they would have the best overtaking move, and it could give a little more spice & attention to mid-pack teams. I'd be all for that, assuming it would just be a trophy and not actually points in the drivers standings. Could be a fun addition to the prediction competition as well, something to differentiate the picks each week.

I fear Driver of the Day will just be a popularity contest.

[Image: 6p7ymog.jpg]
Copyright - Royal Dutch Dicky Graphic Design
01-20-2016, 05:22 PM (This post was last modified: 01-20-2016 05:24 PM by frankdouglason.)
(01-20-2016 09:04 AM)chemics Wrote:  Hopefully they look at the NHL allstar game and realise how badly this could go wrong when Crashtor wins driver of the day every weekend he takes someone out.

yeah, fan votes are dangerous territory these days. it's an easy fix, though. nhl chose to allow, actually encouraged people to vote many times a day every day. they wanted to drive up traffic to their website. it made for a shitty vote. if f1 simply said one vote per ip address or email address, and took basic steps to detect bot behavior, it wouldn't be a problem.

i'd be more concerned with giving an award to the best overtake, which will quickly become the most audacious overtake, which will incentivize reckless driving, especially among the lower ranks and especially toward the end of races.

(01-20-2016 03:18 PM)Jackson Wrote:  I fear Driver of the Day will just be a popularity contest.

don't be silly, it'll be much more pointless than that. it'll be a poll of which driver's birthplace is closest to your birthplace.
01-21-2016, 07:01 AM
http://sniffpetrol.com/2016/01/21/f1-ted...qCrxCp969J

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
01-21-2016, 07:24 AM
the idea of engines being charismatic is beyond my comprehension.
01-21-2016, 09:34 AM
(01-20-2016 05:22 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  i'd be more concerned with giving an award to the best overtake, which will quickly become the most audacious overtake, which will incentivize reckless driving, especially among the lower ranks and especially toward the end of races.

Lets not be silly and think the drivers will actually care enough about it to drive any differently.
01-21-2016, 02:20 PM
if it's going to be promoted, it will carry broadcast screen time, so the sponsors will care, so the teams will care, so the drivers will care.
01-21-2016, 04:43 PM
(01-21-2016 02:20 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  if it's going to be promoted, it will carry broadcast screen time, so the sponsors will care, so the teams will care, so the drivers will care.

Or the drivers will be told to care...

[Image: 6p7ymog.jpg]
Copyright - Royal Dutch Dicky Graphic Design
01-21-2016, 06:16 PM
(01-20-2016 05:22 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  yeah, fan votes are dangerous territory these days. it's an easy fix, though. nhl chose to allow, actually encouraged people to vote many times a day every day. they wanted to drive up traffic to their website. it made for a s****y vote. if f1 simply said one vote per ip address or email address, and took basic steps to detect bot behavior, it wouldn't be a problem.
it can be controlled, and already is in Formula E with a one-vote system called, Fanboost.

"Formula E is also expanding the ways that fans will be able to vote. Fans can now use specific hashtags on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, and will also still be able to use the Formula E website or app. You'll get one vote per day on each platform in order to stop fans from completely gaming the voting in favor of one particular driver, and the series has hired a real-time fan engagement company called Telescope that can identify repeat votes." http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/25/939776...ting-power

I'm all for it, as long as it is a free service and is just a fun fan-interactive no-points award.

01-21-2016, 06:33 PM
(01-21-2016 06:16 PM)Neonzapper Wrote:  
(01-20-2016 05:22 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  yeah, fan votes are dangerous territory these days. it's an easy fix, though. nhl chose to allow, actually encouraged people to vote many times a day every day. they wanted to drive up traffic to their website. it made for a s****y vote. if f1 simply said one vote per ip address or email address, and took basic steps to detect bot behavior, it wouldn't be a problem.
it can be controlled, and already is in Formula E with a one-vote system called, Fanboost.

"Formula E is also expanding the ways that fans will be able to vote. Fans can now use specific hashtags on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, and will also still be able to use the Formula E website or app. You'll get one vote per day on each platform in order to stop fans from completely gaming the voting in favor of one particular driver, and the series has hired a real-time fan engagement company called Telescope that can identify repeat votes." http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/25/939776...ting-power

I'm all for it, as long as it is a free service and is just a fun fan-interactive no-points award.

yes, that is exactly what i meant.
01-21-2016, 07:05 PM
(01-21-2016 06:33 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  yes, that is exactly what i meant.
Yes, you had a good suggestion. By stating Forumula E's procedure in a long-winded way, I confirmed your suggestion as a good viable procedure for this F1 award.

My biggest concern is Bernie getting involved to suck money from the young guys. This should be a free, fun voting process for the love of the sport. If the stewards relax penalties for incidents in overtaking, F1 could get more exciting.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  2016 Prediction Competition Yaaay 201 15,371 12-08-2016 06:09 PM
Last Post: leonbray
  Who will be Champion? - 6 races complete. Yaaay 48 13,233 02-17-2009 08:20 AM
Last Post: drmarkf
  5 races to go - can you call it? Yaaay 7 2,563 09-11-2008 07:01 PM
Last Post: drmarkf