12-23-2015, 10:10 AM
Nissan withdraw from 2016 WEC
http://www.fiawec.com/en/news/nissan-sta..._3673.html

That didn't last long.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-23-2015, 11:52 AM
RE: Nissan withdraw from 2016 WEC
I don't pay much attention to WEC or LM type racing (I know I should... for once you have some portuguese getting some results).
What do they mean by "decided to focus on developing its longer term racing strategies."?

Ad Astra Per Audacia
12-23-2015, 12:17 PM
(12-23-2015 11:52 AM)Miguel Wrote:  I don't pay much attention to WEC or LM type racing (I know I should... for once you have some portuguese getting some results).
What do they mean by "decided to focus on developing its longer term racing strategies."?

Probably that the FWD concept didn't work so they have to say something to save face. I assume they provide engines in other classes from the article.

It was a nice idea, and great to see such variation in WEC. I wish F1 had a rule book that allowed/promoted more variation.
12-23-2015, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2015 04:19 PM by frankdouglason.)
they provide a lot of engines to lmp2 teams. i think they're pretending that's something that will demand their focus.

i like variety, but anyone who watches racing can look at that car and say "nope, that's not going to be competitive." for all it's ridiculousness (and i'm certainly no fan), the delta wing is at least trying a NEW absurd idea. that nissan car was trying to revive an idea that has been done countless times and was discarded long ago. there was no way a front-front layout prototype was going to keep up with the mid-all layout designs that dominate le mans.

i don't know what they were thinking. and giving up after one year is so bizarre to me. the first year of a new prototype is a teething or break-in year. it's basically very expensive testing. what did they learn this year, to make them throw in the towel, that they didn't know after preliminary testing? if the basic design was untenable, they should have seen that in testing and not wasted the money of spending a year racing all over the world. if the basic design has potential, they should fix the issues and bring a finished car to sebring next year. quitting after one year of racing is the worst case scenario; they maximized their costs and minimized their returns. the shareholders should be livid.
12-23-2015, 07:51 PM
I was hoping we could read entering F1 in there - having Nissan and Renault at the same time in F1 would be a great move, I believe, and would certainly shake up the status quo.

Ad Astra Per Audacia
12-24-2015, 12:20 AM
(12-23-2015 07:51 PM)Miguel Wrote:  I was hoping we could read entering F1 in there - having Nissan and Renault at the same time in F1 would be a great move, I believe, and would certainly shake up the status quo.

the trouble with that is that nissan and renault are corporate partners. that's why we had renault engines rebadged as infinity, which is nissan's luxury brand, for a while. so they would be competing with themselves. it'd be like porsche and audi racing against each other. how pointless would that be, right??? Wink

unless you mean coming into f1 together; having a nissan-renault team replace lotus. that would actually make a lot of sense, at least in terms of cost mitigation.
12-24-2015, 12:28 AM
(12-24-2015 12:20 AM)frankdouglason Wrote:  
(12-23-2015 07:51 PM)Miguel Wrote:  I was hoping we could read entering F1 in there - having Nissan and Renault at the same time in F1 would be a great move, I believe, and would certainly shake up the status quo.

the trouble with that is that nissan and renault are corporate partners. that's why we had renault engines rebadged as infinity, which is nissan's luxury brand, for a while. so they would be competing with themselves. it'd be like porsche and audi racing against each other. how pointless would that be, right??? Wink

unless you mean coming into f1 together; having a nissan-renault team replace lotus. that would actually make a lot of sense, at least in terms of cost mitigation.

They are currently trying to split Nissan and Renault into two entities. Wonder if it is just part of cost reduction so it makes Nissan more palatable in the market

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
12-24-2015, 01:40 AM
(12-24-2015 12:28 AM)leonbray Wrote:  They are currently trying to split Nissan and Renault into two entities. Wonder if it is just part of cost reduction so it makes Nissan more palatable in the market

if they're trying to slim down nissan so they can sell it off, then that's a rationale for pulling the plug on their lmp program that i can understand.
12-24-2015, 08:45 AM
(12-24-2015 12:20 AM)frankdouglason Wrote:  

No, I really meant competing against each other - sharing some common resources (wind tunnels, maybe some basic research facilities, etc) to benefit from scale, but competing against each other on concepts and development directions. This is a model that L'Oreal developed and perfect on the way to global dominance.
It has many advantages once you look past the initial apparent contradiction of competing against yourself - spreading costs, possibility of exploring different technical solutions simultaneously, exponential media exposure, etc.

Ad Astra Per Audacia
12-24-2015, 11:01 PM
hmm, it's an interesting idea, but i'm very skeptical that it would translate to racing. l'oreal can go in different directions, create different products, and they can all be winners by targeting different price points or demographics. if you build different race cars, at most one can be a winner. at least one is always going to be a loser.
12-25-2015, 08:36 AM
(12-24-2015 11:01 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  if you build different race cars, at most one can be a winner. at least one is always going to be a loser.
yes, but we are not talking Toro Rosso to Red Bull, we are talking two competitive front runners - so winning and loosing will shift around, and losing to your corporate competition is less of a loss that losing to a strangers, unless the media feels like building this up, where both win added media exposure.
From a development point of view, they can explore totally different approaches while optimizing some costs by pooling ressources.

Ad Astra Per Audacia
12-25-2015, 12:07 PM
Miguel, I like the idea. It isn't so unusual given each team already has two cars and each team driver has his own crew.

But, wouldn't the Volkswagen Group have an unfair advantage over Williams?

And, why doesn't Williams produce a production automobile?

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
12-25-2015, 03:00 PM
(12-25-2015 08:36 AM)Miguel Wrote:  losing to your corporate competition is less of a loss that losing to a strangers

i'm not so sure there's much of a difference, but even if we assume there is, it's still well below winning with both, which is the goal for companies that sell products and mathematically impossible for a race team.

if nissan and renault wanted to split development costs of a race car, i think they'd be much better off finding sister series in which to run them. they could make a gt car and have renault contest the elms while nissan competes in the united sportscar series in america. then they could both win.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  LeMans 2016 leonbray 7 404 06-19-2016 10:58 PM
Last Post: frankdouglason