Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Junior to F1?
11-13-2015, 03:52 PM
Junior to F1?
Potential F1 team owners plan to offer Dale Earnhardt Jr. a ride

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/11/1...t-jr-ride/

Talk about Silly Season! This is a ridiculous story. Dale Jr has zero open wheel experience and is way over the hill to be competitive. I can only guess that this news story was created just to grab headlines in the U.S. Or a feeble attempt to get more mainstream U.S. interest in F1. But I don't know why they didn't come up with this story in the lead-up to USGP rather than after.

“Just leave me alone. I know what to do.”
"I'm only here for the racing. All the other bull$hit I can do without." - Kimi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-13-2015, 04:19 PM
RE: Junior to F1?
(11-13-2015 03:52 PM)LappedTraffic Wrote:  Potential F1 team owners plan to offer Dale Earnhardt Jr. a ride

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/11/1...t-jr-ride/

Talk about Silly Season! This is a ridiculous story. Dale Jr has zero open wheel experience and is way over the hill to be competitive. I can only guess that this news story was created just to grab headlines in the U.S. Or a feeble attempt to get more mainstream U.S. interest in F1. But I don't know why they didn't come up with this story in the lead-up to USGP rather than after.

He wouldn't even qualify for a super license.
11-13-2015, 04:27 PM
And on a different family tree, there is a Mini Mini Me being groomed: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121748
Quousque tandem...???

Ad Astra Per Audacia
11-13-2015, 05:31 PM
this is just stupid. the jeff gordon story from years ago at least had some vague basis in reality.
11-13-2015, 08:38 PM
The statement was that he wanted Earnhardt to lead the team - does that mean as a driver or as team principal?

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/1...ying-manor

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
11-13-2015, 11:32 PM
motivational speaking engagements?
11-14-2015, 10:06 AM (This post was last modified: 11-14-2015 10:37 AM by Neonzapper.)
It's fair to say, Junior is loaded with investment money. At the present time, Junior has a net worth of US $315M and annual NASCAR endorsements of US $9M. This is in addition to his driver salary of US $14.6M/yr.

If Manor were purchased by the group, I could see Junior as an investor and perhaps senior partner in race operations, but not as a driver. For now, Junior owns an Xfinity Series team, so maybe he is ready to expand into F1 team ownership.

As you know, Ricciardo picked number 3 because that was Senior's number. It lead to a friendly relationship with Junior. Ricciardo has an open invitation to race for Junior in 2016 if Red Bull folds.

My prediction? No F1 drive for Junior, and look for Daniel Ricciardo to have a little NASCAR fun at Watckin's Glen during next Summer's break.

Maybe Junior will wear a hat like Nikki.

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
11-14-2015, 05:33 PM
(11-14-2015 10:06 AM)Neonzapper Wrote:  Junior owns an Xfinity Series team, so maybe he is ready to expand into F1 team ownership.

i coach my local high school baseball team, so maybe i'm ready to take the helm for the boston red sox. Cool
11-14-2015, 11:45 PM (This post was last modified: 11-14-2015 11:46 PM by Neonzapper.)
(11-14-2015 10:06 AM)Neonzapper Wrote:  Junior owns an Xfinity Series team, so maybe he is ready to expand into F1 team ownership.
(11-14-2015 05:33 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  i coach my local high school baseball team, so maybe i'm ready to take the helm for the boston red sox. Cool
My point was more like a GP2 team owner and top F1 driver who might put his racing and business ownership knowledge to use as one of many senior partners of a NASCAR team. But then again, your offbeat analogy may be more on target. After all, Joe Gibbs coached my local Washington Redskins football team for years, then left to own and run his own successful NASCAR team. Smile

11-15-2015, 05:26 AM
i just think that making the jump from a national series to a global series is a very big one, and making the jump from a second tier series to a top tier series is also a very big one, so making both of those jumps at the same time seems like a naively bad idea. if he's just throwing some money in and taking a stake, he's certainly capable of that, and if he wants to throw his money away on one of the most doomed investments in the world (a new f1 team), it's his money to burn. but the idea that his experience in the xfinity series qualifies him to take a managerial or executive role on an f1 team makes me laugh. that's what i was trying to illustrate with my analogy of the baseball coach.
11-15-2015, 07:28 PM (This post was last modified: 11-15-2015 07:30 PM by Neonzapper.)
It would be a very big jump for Junior because it would take him away from his daily operations. I think he's good for investment money and maybe some periodic management/racing consultation with those who are actually running the F1 daily operations. Clearly, NASCAR's minor league is different from F1. I don't think either party disputes that fact. The bond is that Junior has the money and enjoys following F1 racing.

11-17-2015, 10:02 AM
(11-15-2015 07:28 PM)Neonzapper Wrote:  It would be a very big jump for Junior because it would take him away from his daily operations. I think he's good for investment money and maybe some periodic management/racing consultation with those who are actually running the F1 daily operations. Clearly, NASCAR's minor league is different from F1. I don't think either party disputes that fact. The bond is that Junior has the money and enjoys following F1 racing.

If his net worth is "only" $315M he is nowhere near in a position to be investing in F1. Many others have lost significantly more than that to barely get into the mid-pack, this is a sport for Billionaires, not Millionaires.

At best he is a name to attract investment from companies that don't necessarily know F1 well but recognise his brand as something they want to invest in.
11-17-2015, 12:08 PM
His net worth, but he may have control of other peoples money. He surely isn't that stupid to use his own.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
11-17-2015, 12:17 PM
(11-17-2015 12:08 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  His net worth, but he may have control of other peoples money. He surely isn't that stupid to use his own.

I'm always astounded by how stupid some rich people are. Or how Bernie convinces them to part with their money.