Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Crap Bernie Says - Chronicle of Bernie's Ramblings for our amusement
10-21-2015, 12:54 AM
Crap Bernie Says - Chronicle of Bernie's Ramblings for our amusement
2015-10-20

Mercedes Prize Money "It was my stupidity, really, when I said that if they could achieve what Red Bull achieved, which was two consecutive championships and winning 21 races, then they got paid for it.

"It was a bit foolish, but I thought Red Bull had done something pretty special and it would be hard for anyone to follow that. But Mercedes did and they will get paid at the end of the year, just as I promised I would."
'
2015-10-19

In a separate interview, F1's commercial supremo has claimed he could try to force through the return of V8 engines for next season, just two years after F1 switched to turbo-charged V6 units: "I think we should just do it and say to them [the teams], ‘If you don’t like it you can go to arbitration’. We could get the V8s back next year. People can build them in no time so we ought to do it"

I saw you watching Formula One with Putin last year. What do you think of the man?
BE: Super. I’m his best supporter.
SS: I think one year ago you said about Formula One that it has become too democratic, that everyone just has to be too happy. So there’s no place for democracy in Formula One?
BE: I don’t think there’s any place for democracy, first of all.
SS: Ever? Anywhere?
BE: Anywhere.
BE: I think we are in show business. The minute we stop entertaining, we’re in trouble. So people like racing… I think, what our biggest problem is that you and I know pretty well who’s going to be the World Champion this year. It can’t be right. People come to watch racing, to watch anything, and they don’t want to know the result before it starts. That’s the rulebook that I want to tear up.

2015-10-07

F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone says he expects the sport to have new ownership by the end of the year and that three parties are currently interested.

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-21-2015, 07:49 AM
RE: Crap Bernie Says - Chronicle of Bernie's Ramblings for our amusement
Gotta love Bernie.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
10-21-2015, 10:36 PM
I do. I hang on every word he tells us.

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
10-22-2015, 07:32 AM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2015 07:32 AM by Yaaay.)
When asked about his daughter's wedding, Ecclestone said, "I had to do something at the time that upset me. I had to give her away. I’d rather have sold her,"

In 2005, referring to Danica Patrick, Ecclestone said, "You know I've got one of those wonderful ideas...women should be dressed in white like all the other domestic appliances,"

Referring to the possibility of having a female driver, "What I would really like to see happen is to find the right girl, perhaps a black girl with super looks, preferably Jewish or Muslim, who speaks Spanish,"

"In a lot of ways, terrible to say this I suppose," Ecclestone began, "but apart from the fact that Hitler got taken away and persuaded to do things that I have no idea whether he wanted to do or not, he was in the way that he could command a lot of people, able to get things done."

"If McLaren had come clean and owned up none of it would have happened the way it did. He is a good friend of mine but Ron was six months pregnant and said he was a virgin. He knows he got off cheap."

10-22-2015, 03:35 PM
he really is a disgusting person, far beyond the point that is funny or good for the show.
10-24-2015, 07:12 PM
A message for the loyal and passionate fans still at @circuitamericas - the pitlane is open to you now #USGP

[Image: 21e9260.jpg]

Really!

10-24-2015, 10:08 PM
(10-24-2015 07:12 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  A message for the loyal and passionate fans still at @circuitamericas - the pitlane is open to you now #USGP

[Image: 21e9260.jpg]

Really!

wet suit, snorkel and flippers mandatory

Locator of Shruberies
02-22-2016, 07:07 PM
From Motorsport.com

Bernie Ecclestone has slammed Formula 1 as predictable and has called for FIA president Jean Todt to hand over control of the sport.

The CEO of Formula One Management told the Daily Mail: “I wouldn’t spend my money to take my family to watch a race. No way.

“What's the point when you pretty much know…that Lewis Hamilton will probably put the car on pole and more likely than not win the race, and the other Mercedes will be on the podium?”

Ecclestone went on to describe the F1 Commission as a cartel, given that the two big engine manufacturers effectively have right of veto to rule changes until 2020.

"This sort of thing is what is commonly known as a cartel," he said, "and cartels are illegal. We are running something that is illegal. On top of all that it is anti-competitive.'

Ecclestone praised FIA president Jean Todt’s efforts to improve road safety but suggested that Formula 1 has thus become merely a side issue for the former Ferrari team manager.

“Jean, unfortunately, has become a diplomat," said Ecclestone. "He is doing a very good job for road safety. But his interest in Formula 1 is purely a result of being president of the FIA…. He doesn't look to do anything that might destabilize what he really wants to do in the UN.

'He should carry on with the other stuff, but hand over responsibility for Formula 1 to someone else.”

Shaking up the F1 grid

Ecclestone suggested mixed grids as a way to create more entertaining racing.

He said: "I would keep qualifying as it is. The guy who is quickest would still have his number of poles recorded for history. But then he could start, say, 10th based on his pole and where he stands in the championship. We are looking at exactly how we could do it.

"The guy who is third fastest in qualifying would start, say seventh or eighth.

"That is better than totally reversed grids because all you get with them is the man at the back getting past the slower guys at the start of the race. This way makes it competitive between guys of similar speed. It won't be easy to get past people."

Locator of Shruberies
02-22-2016, 08:17 PM
now he just sounds really stupid. i used to call him corrupt, misguided, full of his own s**t, immoral, etc. this is the first time i can remember thinking bernie is just being stupid.

all of his complaints are things that have been said about f1 forever. it's predictable, it's corrupted by the moneyed/top teams, it's run by bureaucrats. even setting aside the hypocrisy of bernie complaining about any of that, it's nothing noteworthy. when bernie's best buddy was running the show, and jean was more "interested" in f1, all of those complaints were even more true than they are now.

though peak of the stupidity mountain is his "mixed grid" idea. pole sitter gets 10th on the grid, and the people qualifying just behind him start just ahead of him in the race? did you think about that for even half a second before saying it? you claim to be "looking at exactly how to do it," which implies that you did, but you didn't figure out the twisted incentives of that system? here's a hint, since you're apparently so dim: nobody (especially the teams) gives a s**t about pole records when they stop being helpful to winning races.
02-22-2016, 08:39 PM
Greed is still driving his motives

He wants to take control of F1 from the FIA - to get total control and make more money

Locator of Shruberies
02-23-2016, 08:48 AM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2016 08:48 AM by Koala.)
What sort of "genuis" makes disparaging public comments about a sport he derives so much money from.

Surely the smart thing would be to use the "ownership" rights/his influence etc to work behind the scenes to achieve what he wants rather than very publically rip into the sport.

The mixed grid concept is total ridiculous
02-23-2016, 11:47 AM
(02-23-2016 08:48 AM)Koala Wrote:  What sort of "genuis" makes disparaging public comments about a sport he derives so much money from.

The kind who is either being paid to lower the asking price or is lowering the asking price so he can buy it back.

02-23-2016, 12:06 PM
I read somewhere that it is a typical Mosely tactic to offer the teams something they can't possibly live with (stupid grids) to offer them what he really wants which is more agreeable...does that really work outside of a bunch of 5 year olds squabbling? At least be subtle about it and offer a believable unpalatable rule change first.

I have a feeling everyone in the paddock is worried about what happens when Bernie is gone and the reality is they might get someone half sensible to run things. Either that or he keeps someone completely dispassionate out of the job that would just asset strip it into oblivion.
02-24-2016, 09:27 AM
I would enjoy seeing a movie about Bernie. He's got to be the ultimate. It will never happen, because he probably has lawyers paid throughout the next century - just to pounce and sue.

02-24-2016, 10:09 AM
Robert De Nero would play a great Bernie. I'd go watch it.

02-24-2016, 11:13 AM
I feel like every Bond villain is actually just someone playing a dynamic Bernie role.

[Image: 6p7ymog.jpg]
Copyright - Royal Dutch Dicky Graphic Design
02-24-2016, 02:30 PM
(02-24-2016 09:27 AM)Neonzapper Wrote:  I would enjoy seeing a movie about Bernie. He's got to be the ultimate. It will never happen, because he probably has lawyers paid throughout the next century - just to pounce and sue.

just call the character something else. if william randolph hearst couldn't kill citizen kane, little bernard ecclestone wouldn't stand a chance of killing it.
02-24-2016, 05:07 PM
(02-24-2016 10:09 AM)Yaaay Wrote:  Robert De Nero would play a great Bernie. I'd go watch it.

Can De Niro still act? Doesn't he just do bad comedies these days.
02-24-2016, 05:57 PM
(02-24-2016 05:07 PM)chemics Wrote:  Can De Niro still act?

this is one of the great mysteries of the movie world these days. it's been so long since he took a risk or challenged himself or tried, nobody can say for sure. i have a hunch he could be great again if he had the right director pushing him, but i'm not holding my breath for that to actually happen. there aren't too many good lead roles for older men, so he's probably going to continue to cash checks is blatantly bad leads and string along our hopes with interesting but undeveloped supporting roles.
02-24-2016, 07:32 PM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2016 07:34 PM by leonbray.)
and a consequence of the greed that drives Bernie and venture capitalists

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/formula-1-...6336667600

Silverstone is the home race for the majority of Formula 1's teams, and it hosted the very first F1 race back in 1950. Now it’s clear that the series has run the track dry.

...Forbes explains that Formula 1 tracks all get their money in the same way: none of the money from showing the race on TV goes to the track, neither does any from the corporate hospitality, nor any of the money from the advertising on the track.

Those revenue streams all feed back directly to Formula 1 itself and its multibillionaire muppet king Bernie Ecclestone. Having diverted most of the money away from the tracks, Formula 1 also charges the track a multimillion dollar hosting fee for the privilege of hosting a grand prix race

Locator of Shruberies
02-24-2016, 07:43 PM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2016 08:14 PM by Neonzapper.)
Firstly, I do like De Niro. But, in the movies, I don't really see the character. I see De Niro. Yes, he is good in comedy, tragedy, and drama, but it's still De Niro we are watching. For this reason, I would be wary of his ability to portray an actual person in a biography. We would probably be watching De Niro as a character, not the actual person's inflections, mannerism, facial expressions, etc.

02-24-2016, 09:38 PM
(02-24-2016 07:43 PM)Neonzapper Wrote:  Firstly, I do like De Niro. But, in the movies, I don't really see the character. I see De Niro.

that's pretty fair, but i think there are a few exceptions (taxi driver, brazil, cape fear maybe) that make me think it's possible (however unlikely) that he could surprise us with something new and interesting in his old age.

harrison ford is another actor i would put into the non-character category, but his work in 42 was satisfyingly transformative. de niro is way more talented than ford, so i hold out hope for him.
02-24-2016, 10:04 PM
Well, Ford did a great job of not being Harrison Ford in 42. I like De Niro and I like Ferrari. I'm not going to get worked up over the character's demeanor. I'm glad to see this project and hope it comes to fruition.

04-02-2016, 09:06 AM
From Motorsport.com

Bernie Ecclestone claims some Formula 1 drivers are just 'windbags' who have only complained about the state of the sport because they have been told to by their teams.

Despite backing an open letter from the Grand Prix Drivers' Association (GPDA) that F1 is in need of reform, Ecclestone has now shrugged off their views and says their push for change will achieve nothing.

“They can say what they like. This is the whole thing,” said Ecclestone in Bahrain. “They cannot do anything. They have an opinion and everyone has got an opinion.

"It is really their discussion with their team; and the team has got a voice. They are only saying what the teams have told them to say.”

When asked why the teams would want the drivers to go public with their views when they influence in the rules themselves, Ecclestone said: “They think it is better. They think people listen to drivers, you [the media] are listening to them.”

Pushed on if he believed that the drivers were therefore just 'windbags', he said: “Some of them…”

Asked to reveal which ones in particular he thought were, he said: “The ones that are.”

Ice cream shop

Ecclestone also was sceptical about claims that drivers were trying flex political muscles with their public criticisms.

“They haven't got any,” he said. “They have got an opinion.”

He also brushed off Sebastian Vettel's claims that F1 was like an ice cream shop at the moment that was still trying sell flavours to customers who preferred other options.

“He's probably right… but do you think he is going to win this race?” he explained. “He should speak to his boss and tell him the same thing. They have been running an ice cream shop for a few years now."

Ecclestone was also quite succinct when asked if he believed that drivers should have a permanent place on the F1 Commission: “No.”

Lauda denial

Ecclestone's suggestion that the teams have put the drivers up to complaining has been dismissed, however, by Mercedes chief Niki Lauda.

The Austrian, who joined Ecclestone's conversation with journalists, said that GPDA director Alex Wurz had acted independently amid unease from all drivers about the state of F1.

“This is Wurz alone, I can guarantee it,” said Lauda. “Lewis can't speak, as you guys know. Wurz is the master. I was surprised that they spoke the same way we do.”

Locator of Shruberies
04-02-2016, 01:24 PM
(04-02-2016 09:06 AM)leonbray Wrote:  Asked to reveal which ones in particular he thought were, he said: “The ones that are.”

and he's calling other people windbags? wow. i would absolutely love it if the gpda all sat out one race in protest, just to flex their muscle.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Bernie Gone! Yaaay 17 840 03-18-2017 08:53 PM
Last Post: leonbray
  Bernie: Sale Price of F1 has been "Agreed" Neonzapper 5 433 03-31-2016 09:47 AM
Last Post: chemics
  Bernie Ecclestone reveals Formula 1 could be sold 'this year' Yaaay 18 1,411 10-15-2015 03:30 PM
Last Post: Jackson
  Bernie Ecclestone Neonzapper 24 2,038 04-30-2015 08:25 AM
Last Post: chemics
  Bernie's Replacement? Neonzapper 4 421 01-25-2015 05:21 AM
Last Post: Koala