Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Indy Racing's Justin Wilson in Coma
08-24-2015, 06:16 PM
Indy Racing's Justin Wilson in Coma
From IndyStar: LONG POND, Pa. — Justin Wilson was transported by helicopter to a hospital Sunday after he appeared to have been struck by a piece of debris from Sage Karam's car when it crashed in front of him during the final laps of the ABC Supply 500 at Pocono Raceway.

In a statement just after 9 p.m. ET Sunday, the Verizon IndyCar Series said:

"Wilson sustained a severe head injury during today's event at Pocono Raceway.

"Wilson is currently in a coma and in critical condition while undergoing further evaluation at Lehigh Valley Health Network Cedar Crest Hospital in Allentown, Pa.

"IndyCar sends its thoughts and prayers to Justin, his family and Andretti Autosport during this difficult time.

"Additional updates to Wilson's condition will be released when available."

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-24-2015, 06:34 PM
RE: Indy Racing's Justin Wilson in Coma
and i'm sure indycar will continue to not learn the lesson about open cars and speedways. it's really getting shameful how they cling to their traditions rather than make progress on driver safety.

i read one report that was quick to point out that the wall that was struck had safer barrier installed on it, as if a) hitting the wall was what hurt him and b) safer barrier wasn't designed for nascar vehicles which weigh much more than indycar vehicles.

there's a case to be made that open cockpits are just unsafe dinosaurs at this point, but if you're going to keep them, don't race on tracks that bunch up the cars and have huge walls that keep all the crashed cars and debris bouncing on the track.
08-24-2015, 11:05 PM
Oh hell... They just announced that Justin Wilson passed away. I was at the race, and you really could not see much from the stands. The TV images were much more graphic. Damn...

Madness has its toll.  Please have exact change.
08-24-2015, 11:31 PM
it's always very sad to see a driver struck down. in a perfect world, indycar would have enclosed cockpits next season and they would be called "wilson windshields" in his honor.
08-25-2015, 09:20 AM
Very sad. I watched the race on tv. In the pre-race, he was waving with his wife and young girls. As cool as open cockpits look, I have to agree that more safety has to be considered. R.I.P.

08-25-2015, 06:41 PM
(08-24-2015 11:05 PM)monzagorilla Wrote:  Oh hell... They just announced that Justin Wilson passed away. I was at the race, and you really could not see much from the stands. The TV images were much more graphic. Damn...
That must have been an awful scene to see and hear in person. I have to agree that more safety has to be considered for open-wheel drivers. R.I.P.

08-26-2015, 07:17 AM
Very sad day for motor sports. RIP.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Indy Racing Neonzapper 2 507 05-31-2016 10:46 AM
Last Post: F1weekly
  Wilson storms to Toronto pole Yaaay 1 852 07-17-2010 06:34 PM
Last Post: cozmoose
  Justin Wilson and Graham Rahal parrothead 10 2,242 03-12-2010 08:21 AM
Last Post: cozmoose
  Congrats to Justin Wilson and Dayle Coyne Racing winning at Watkins Glen LappedTraffic 7 1,892 07-07-2009 12:19 AM
Last Post: Jackson
  Wilson takes first IRL win in Detroit Yaaay 16 4,077 09-04-2008 12:55 AM
Last Post: xorpheous