Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Next swathe of rule changes
07-02-2015, 04:24 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2015 04:29 PM by Yaaay.)
Next swathe of rule changes
I see they are at it again. The strategy-less strategy group are going to "fix" F1.

This time Napoleon is proposing a sprint race on Saturday.

Formula 1's grand prix weekend format could be set for a 2016 overhaul, with changes described as "exciting and innovative" currently being reviewed by the FIA and Formula One Management.

Following this week's Strategy Group meeting at Biggin Hill, motorsport's governing body announced at Silverstone on Thursday that changes could be made to the race weekend format for next season.

In a statement, the FIA said: "Several exciting and innovative changes to the qualifying and race weekend formats have been discussed.

"[These] are being evaluated by FIA and FOM for a 2016 introduction."

FIA president Jean Todt recently told selected media he was interested in making changes to F1 weekends.

"The format of the race weekend could be improved," said Todt.

"Whether we should have the race 10 laps shorter or longer, it's something you can debate.

"Should we do a sprint race on Saturday? Why not?"

Although F1's qualifying format has undergone myriad revisions through the championship's 65-year history, any introduction of a second race per weekend would be breaking new ground.

Drivers will have to do manual starts in Grand Prix races from Spa onwards, after a statement from the FIA relating to Wednesday’s Strategy Group meeting.
Measures were discussed for 2016 and 2017 and with unanimous agreement that F1 needs to start giving the cars back to the drivers, as the fans requested in the GPDA fan survey and as many stakeholders have been saying for some time, they decided to bring forward some measure to achieve that as soon as the first race after the summer shutdown.
There was less progress on 2017, with a set of rules for ‘faster and more aggressive looking cars, wider cars and wheels, new wings and floor shape and significant increased aerodynamic downforce’ being circulated for the teams to think about, but there are many different views on how to do this. As we outlined recently on this site, the higher the aerodynamic level the harder it is to overtake unless you introduce artificial means of allowing one car to follow another closely.

FIA president Jean Todt has told BBC Radio 5 Live that he would prefer to get consensus on the 2017 rules, but that if this is not possible as the deadline for agreeing 2017 rules approaches, he will impose rules. “If I feel it is good for the sport, I will do it,” he said. That interview can be heard on BBC Radio 5 Live tonight (Thursday) from 9pm onwards UK time. It will be podcasted after broadcast.
Other measures that did get unanimous approval are a revamp of engine penalties after the farce in Austria with drivers having penalties upon penalties and a measure to allow new manufacturers to have a fifth engine in their first season – this will be retrospectively awarded to Honda.
For 2016 teams can nominate the two tyre compounds they wish Pirelli to bring to a Grand Prix, so hopefully that will lead to some variety.
There will be moves made in the coming months to work on a plan for Power Unit development with the likelihood – although it’s not mentioned in the statement – that manufacturers will be allowed to continue the “token’ system or something similar, so development will not be frozen in February. This should give Renault some real encouragement to stay in F1.
The word is that they are still working on a plan to take over the Lotus team, based at Enstone, which they owned formerly.
There’s not as much concrete certainty about future rules as some may have wanted but the top line is that it appears that they’ve realised that they have a problem and that they are listening to the fans to some extent and this is to be welcomed.
And with Todt taking a robust stance, saying that he will impose change if none can be agreed consensually between the teams, then they are on notice that they need to try harder to find a common solution.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2015, 06:37 PM
RE: Next swathe of rule changes
more silliness that at best will be harmless but probably will continue to make f1 worse. they have to stop listening the rabble. they're stupid, and they're not good at telling you what would actually make them engage more. they make guesses at what sounds nifty, but don't understand the consequences of what they ask for. how have we not figured this out yet? f1 has been giving the rabble what they want, and the viewership is declining sharply.

also, if making the drivers do things themselves is a priority, i expect drs to be the first to go, and pit stops could be changed quite a bit.

*sigh* looks like i won't be watching f1 again anytime soon. i keep hoping it'll get better again...
07-02-2015, 08:50 PM
I could understand if it were Soccer, but F1? According to Christian Sylt's Wall Street Journal article, the United States F1 audience grew 10.1% to 12.6m viewers and attributes this rise in American F1 interest to the return of the US Grand Prix in 2012 at the purpose-built Circuit of the Americas in Texas- as well as an American audience boost the following year when F1's broadcaster switched to the NBC Sports Network.

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
07-02-2015, 09:22 PM
the american audience grew because it could only go up, and as you note, f1 became more accessible to americans. global audiences and european audiences (the ones f1 relies on) are down.

soccer in america is rising much faster than f1, also owing quite a bit to the very low bar of a few years ago.

and speaking only for myself, i'd much rather watch a mediocre soccer match like mls or women's world cup than the dreadful nadir that f1 is grinding through lately.
07-03-2015, 08:41 AM
They will have to make changing PU's a lot faster if they want races on Saturday & Sunday, right now an engine issue in a morning session means missing the afternoon because it takes so long. Crashing in a Saturday race won't give them a lot of time to get everything back together.

I don't think Jean Todt should be waiting for unanimous agreement from the competitors on new rules, it's about time the FIA dictated the rules and the competitors worried about racing.
07-03-2015, 01:38 PM
(07-03-2015 08:41 AM)chemics Wrote:  I don't think Jean Todt should be waiting for unanimous agreement from the competitors on new rules, it's about time the FIA dictated the rules and the competitors worried about racing.

hear, hear. right or wrong, the governing body needs to do its job instead of letting the inmates run the asylum.
02-25-2016, 07:05 PM
F1 Teams Agree to Elimination Style Qualifying (FIA Approval needed):

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-tea...16-675278/

02-26-2016, 12:09 AM
(02-25-2016 07:05 PM)Neonzapper Wrote:  F1 Teams Agree to Elimination Style Qualifying (FIA Approval needed):

i have very mixed feelings. on the one hand, that qualifying format does seem more fun to watch than the current format, and would give my favorite format (single lap) a run for its money. on the other hand, making qualifying more interesting just screams "missing the point" to me. let's figure out how to get the cars and the races sorted before worrying about the entertainment value of the qualifying session.
02-26-2016, 01:42 PM
Losing the fuel limit is good, so long as they put enough in.

03-16-2016, 06:01 PM
Here is the new list of allowed radio messages:

1. Indication of a critical problem with the car, e.g. puncture warning or damage.*
2. Indication of a problem with a competitor's car.*
3. Instruction to enter the pitlane in order to fix or retire the car.*
4. Marshaling information (yellow flag, red flag, race start aborted or other similar instructions or information from race control).*
5. Wet track, oil or debris in certain corners.*
6. Instructions to swap position with other drivers.*
7. Acknowledgement that a driver message has been heard.
8. Lap or sector time detail.
9. Lap time detail of a competitor.
10. Gaps to a competitor during a practice session or race.
11. "Push hard", "push now", "you will be racing xx" or similar.
12. Helping with warning of traffic during a practice session or race.
13. Giving the gaps between cars in qualifying so as to better position the car for a clear lap.
14. Tyre choice at the next pit stop.
15. Number of laps a competitor has done on a set of tyres during a race.
16. Tyre specification of a competitor.
17. Information concerning a competitor's likely race strategy.
18. Safety car window.
19. Driving breaches by team driver or competitor, e.g. missing chicanes, running off track, time penalty will be applied etc.
20. Notification that DRS is enabled or disabled.
21. Dealing with a DRS system failure.
22. Change of front wing position at the next pit stop.
23. Oil transfer.
24. When to enter the pits.
25. Reminders to check for white lines, bollards, weighbridge lights when entering or leaving the pits.
26. Reminders about track limits.
27. Passing on messages from race control.
28. Information concerning damage to the car.
29. Number of laps remaining.
30. Test sequence information during practice sessions, ie: aero mapping.
31. Weather information.

*Indicates these are the only messages that may be passed to the driver whilst he is in the car and on the track, from the time the car leaves the garage for the first time after the pit lane is open on the day of the race until the start of the race.

03-17-2016, 01:08 AM
wow, i don't get this at all. what problem is this solving? are only messages to the driver subject to this, or messages back from the driver as well? does this apply during cooldown laps as well? when do we get the list of allowed press conference answers?
03-17-2016, 07:30 AM
What ... they can't order a burger and fries

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
07-29-2016, 09:54 AM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2016 10:20 AM by Neonzapper.)
Significant rule changes for the 2016 German Grand Prix:

1. No radio restrictions (except for the period between the formation lap and the race start). "Everybody again will be able to say what they want" (Bernie E)

2. Wet standing starts. If the track is wet, there will be a few laps behind the Safety Car, then all cars will go back to the grid for a wet start. This way, the cars must complete at least one lap before changing tires.

For next year, the strategy group is considering the elimination of all work (such as tire changes) on cars during race suspensions (red flag).

Bernie announced yesterday that the HALO device will not be used next year.

07-29-2016, 10:22 AM
(07-29-2016 09:54 AM)Neonzapper Wrote:  Significant rule changes for the 2016 German Grand Prix:

1. No radio restrictions (except for the period between the formation lap and the race start). "Everybody again will be able to say what they want" (Bernie E)

2. Wet standing starts. If the track is wet, there will be a few laps behind the Safety Car, then all cars will go back to the grid for a wet start. This way, the cars must complete at least one lap before changing tires.

For next year, the strategy group is considering the elimination of all work (such as tire changes) on cars during race suspensions (red flag).

Bernie announced yesterday that the HALO device will not be used next year.

Why on earth is Bernie announcing new rules? The FIA is the rule making body, he is just the promoter.
07-29-2016, 01:55 PM
Because they are just one big happy team who all work together for the common good.

07-30-2016, 06:59 AM
(07-29-2016 10:22 AM)chemics Wrote:  Why on earth is Bernie announcing new rules? The FIA is the rule making body, he is just the promoter.

Ahahahah, ahahahhaBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin, ROFL, PSML!
That was a good joke, Chemics!!Cool

Ad Astra Per Audacia
07-30-2016, 06:41 PM
announcing is a promotion thing. i'm okay with that.

lifting the radio restrictions is obviously a good thing. i only wish they would issue an apology as they admit how stupid their original idea was.

wet standing starts will be interesting to see play out, but it doesn't strike me as something that will generate good racing. seems like it will be a sensational culling of the field followed by a weakened race, or just a dull cautious start that's no better than the rolling start. i find these rules that just nibble at the edges infuriating when the core of the series is so broken.
07-31-2016, 01:07 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2016 10:47 PM by Neonzapper.)
(07-30-2016 06:41 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  ...i only wish they would issue an apology as they admit how stupid their original idea was.
To quote Miguel, Ahahahah, ahahahhaBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin, ROFL, PSML! That was a good joke, frank!!Cool

(07-30-2016 06:41 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  wet standing starts...seem like it will be a sensational culling of the field
This is why Lewis should keep his mouth shut instead of saying he likes a wet start. The guys who are usually at the front are usually never in traffic.

08-01-2016, 12:20 AM
(07-31-2016 01:07 PM)Neonzapper Wrote:  
(07-30-2016 06:41 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  ...i only wish they would issue an apology as they admit how stupid their original idea was.
To quote Miguel, Ahahahah, ahahahhaBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin, ROFL, PSML! That was a good joke, frank!!Cool

hey, a guy can dream.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  2012 Rule Changes Yaaay 12 2,865 12-08-2011 03:20 PM
Last Post: chemics
  rule 30.13 frankdouglason 27 7,319 09-18-2011 08:39 AM
Last Post: C_O_N
  107% rule - why not for Kobayashi in Turkey? gr 3 1,295 05-07-2011 04:41 PM
Last Post: migchaos
  A good summary of 2011 rule changes Koala 9 2,318 01-11-2011 02:17 PM