04-14-2015, 10:56 PM
Paul Newman Movie Coming Soon

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2015, 11:42 PM
RE: Paul Newman Movie Coming Soon
directed by adam carolla. yikers. i would love it if this movie was any good, but i'd be very surprised.
04-15-2015, 12:05 AM
(04-14-2015 11:42 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  directed by adam carolla. yikers. i would love it if this movie was any good, but i'd be very surprised.

One petrol head pay homage to another ...

Locator of Shruberies
04-15-2015, 12:48 AM
Adam Carolla has been talking on his podcast about this movie venture for years. For the movie, he interviewed many of the celebrities as well as drivers who knew PLN - like Jay Leno and Sam Posey, but he talks about going in-depth to follow his racing career.

Adam Carolla's a huge car buff and knowledgeable gearhead. He owns several early Bob Sharp Racers - including Paul Newman's No. 33 Datsun 300ZX (I think he said he paid $100,000 for it back in 2007?) and several of Paul Newman's racing suits. For a long time, Adam kept the car among his large car collection- with the mud still on it (from when Paul raced it). PN was a small man, but after several years of just staring at the car, Adam Carolla (nearly 7 feet tall) had it detailed and set-up so he could drive it himself. For the last couple of years, AC has raced this car.

Back in the day, my friends and I would drive to Summit Point, West Virginia, and once to Lime Rock, Connecticut to watch Paul Newman race the same car now owned by Adam Carolla. I'm a big fan of PLN the racer, and I respect Adam Carolla as a gearhead and car collector.

Adam isn't the best race driver, but he's honest about his skill and makes it enjoyable to see him race PLN's car:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10b4MkdBjuU

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
04-15-2015, 05:12 AM
"adam carolla likes cars, and knows a lot about them, and liked paul newman, and bought one of his cars, so i bet he could carve a good sculpture of him out of granite."
04-15-2015, 12:36 PM
The trailer looks awesome. I can't wait to see it. IMDB says the US release date is May 22

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3377996/

“Just leave me alone. I know what to do.”
"I'm only here for the racing. All the other bull$hit I can do without." - Kimi
04-15-2015, 10:55 PM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2015 10:56 PM by Neonzapper.)
(04-15-2015 05:12 AM)frankdouglason Wrote:  "adam carolla likes cars, and knows a lot about them, and liked paul newman, and bought one of his cars, so i bet he could carve a good sculpture of him out of granite."
It's been awhile, but wasn't that the true or false question number 258 on the MENSA exam?

Adam Carolla also produced the movie, "The Hammer". Therefore, he knows how to produce a movie.

04-16-2015, 12:13 AM
he executive produced the hammer, which is different than producing it, and very very different from directing it. i'm sure he's capable of executive producing, and probably capable of producing so long as he has good associate producers. it's the directing that concerns me. he's directed one movie before, so he's far from experienced. also, that movie was panned by critics and ignored by audiences. and it wasn't a documentary, so there's a question as to how much of that little experience will translate.

if he was making an off-the-cuff radio broadcast about a celebrity, i would expect him to do a good job, especially if it was supposed to be either hagiographic or infused with boorish adolescent humor. but it's a feature length (just barely) documentary, that - i can only hope - is supposed to be an honest portrait of a lesser-seen side of a hollywood icon.

so i'm doubtful that this is going to come out as well as we're all hoping it will. i know reading that feels like daggers to the heart of some people who just want an echo chamber to repeat their own kind thoughts until it drowns out reality, and for that i apologize. maybe it'll end up being great, and i'll be surprised and relieved. maybe adam carolla has a secret talent for sculpting granite...
04-16-2015, 01:34 AM
Don't see the point of condemning something before it even appears. It's not as if he is doing a mega-buck big budget entertainment film.

Locator of Shruberies
04-16-2015, 02:08 AM
i'm not condemning. i don't like to judge a movie before i see it, and that goes equally for positive and negative pre-judging. i'm just sharing my view on the news, which is one of low expectations due to the track record of the person at the helm of this project. if it can draw an intriguing review or two from a critic i trust, i'll definitely see it. that's the same standard i use for every movie with the exception of those made by a few select directors.

do you see a point in praising something before it even appears? or condemning mega-buck big budget entertainment films before their release?
04-16-2015, 11:27 AM
Regardless of what critics say, I will see the movie. Perhaps I will like it, perhaps I won't, but I will still see it and make my own opinion on it.

“Just leave me alone. I know what to do.”
"I'm only here for the racing. All the other bull$hit I can do without." - Kimi
04-16-2015, 04:27 PM
(04-16-2015 11:27 AM)LappedTraffic Wrote:  I will still see it and make my own opinion on it.

i like that sentiment, but there are too many good movies being made every year and too many classics from the decades i missed to waste time on one after it becomes clear that it's somewhere between bad and mediocre. i saw 127 movies for the first time last year, 66 of which were new releases. i need to use some filtration.
10-25-2015, 12:55 AM
this doc was recently added to amazon prime, for those who have that service. i threw it onto my watchlist which, judging by history, means it has about a 33% chance of me actually watching it before it falls out of prime.
11-29-2015, 04:29 PM (This post was last modified: 11-30-2015 12:37 AM by Neonzapper.)
I just finished watching Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman.

It wasn't too much like SENNA (which I also liked). But it is a documentary style, and centers around Paul Newman's love of racing.

Yes, there was a small amount of deserved sappiness at the end and a few 20-second moments within, but very little. It centered on his racing career as told with lots of racing footage and interviews with close friends and family.

Adam Carolla was rarely seen or heard and did an excellent job of putting this together for PLN racing fans.

12-05-2015, 07:26 PM
i just finished watching this movie. it wasn't as overtly bad as i expected. carolla proved competent in getting everything you'd predict from a doc like this and putting it all together. it was just so bland and lifeless. there's not much specific to complain about because there's nothing really there. it felt like cinematic oatmeal to me. it's fine; it satisfies on a basic level and everyone is okay with it, but once you're done, there's nothing to remember or comment on.

i don't think it's carolla's fault beyond him choosing a subject that doesn't warrant a feature length documentary. an actor i like had a passionate hobby that i like, but there isn't a compelling narrative thrust. there isn't any artistry to speak of because there's only so much you can do with archival footage shot by who knows how many different people of varying quality and interviews with talking heads. there are hundreds of these forgettable memorializing documentaries each year, and they feel like something you'd see at a retirement party or someone's 75th birthday.

robert redford's stories were the only bits that stuck out in a positive way to me. i don't know what happened to the end, when they completely lost focus and started talking about salad dressing and summer camps, which i'm quite sure have nothing to do with racing. i wish it had been good, but i don't think that was possible. if paul had had some filmmaker friend who never made it in hollywood but paul hired to follow him around when he went racing, there might have been a film in that; something that felt alive and had a vision to it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Maldonado the Movie. Yaaay 5 666 08-13-2012 05:30 AM
Last Post: Yaaay
  Preview of Senna Movie on YouTube Iceman 5 1,150 09-07-2010 08:23 AM
Last Post: chemics
  F1 the Movie, 1968-82 coming to a theater near you chemics 3 1,028 03-11-2010 05:29 PM
Last Post: drmarkf
  Paul Potts! trickydicky 6 1,110 07-12-2007 11:29 AM
Last Post: Koala
  the movie Cars - my favorite scene ELCelica 5 1,484 12-27-2006 11:05 PM
Last Post: ELCelica