Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Life After Top Gear
03-24-2015, 08:54 PM
Life After Top Gear
Will there be life after Clarkson

Rather see Chris Harris than Chris Evans in the role, if the Daily Mail rumours are close

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-25-2015, 11:42 PM
RE: Life After Top Gear
already figured out

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
02-04-2016, 10:59 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2016 11:00 AM by chemics.)
First named co-presenter is....Matt LeBlanc

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35490238

Apparently he hosted a spinoff Top Gear show recently and is a petrol head, so hopefully he's a good choice.

I have to say I am more tempted to watch it now, I couldn't stand Clarkson & Hammond, so stopped watching years ago.
02-04-2016, 08:52 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2016 08:55 PM by Neonzapper.)
This article summed up Mr. Clarkson (who was fired for giving a disrespectful opinion); "When Jeremy Clarkson gives you an opinion you can respect it".

I know Matt LeBlanc is a gearhead, but he has a very quite low-key personality. He's more of a smiling thinker/observer than an extrovert.

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
02-05-2016, 04:16 AM
what kept me watching top gear for as long as i did was the chemistry between clarkson, may, and hammond. i'm not drawn to either evans or leblanc, but even if they had hosts that i really liked, they wouldn't have the kind of chemistry that comes from doing a show together for a decade.

they're going to be in the sticky situation of having talent (and a large percentage of crew as well, i would wager) that are starting from scratch, but having a brand that carries a public expectation of being well developed and reliable. it's a recipe for disappointment.

we see this in our late night chat shows in america. the host leaves, the writers follow, and the show has to start over, which means the show (and the ratings) stink for the first few months or even more. and that's when you do 200 shows per year. how long will it take top gear, when they do a dozen or two episodes per year?
02-05-2016, 09:42 AM
Lots of stuff over here about it. It's Marmite, you either loved the old format and seem to be required to automatically hate the new one or you hate Clarkson (and most admit the format had gotten tired anyway) and might give the new one a go.

I am sure you guys in the US do not know who Chris Evans is, he is a very professional and popular presenter and TV producer who knows exactly how to make a TV show. Nothing he has done has been bad and he has had a series of hit shows on TV and Radio. Whatever the new format is it will be done well, not to everyone's taste, but done well. It will not be a copy of old, new topgear.

They are saying the choice of LeBlanc is inspired as it will help sell the show in the US but seem to forget the US version of the show. Does anyone watch that?

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
02-05-2016, 09:51 AM
(02-05-2016 09:42 AM)Yaaay Wrote:  Lots of stuff over here about it. It's Marmite, you either loved the old format and seem to be required to automatically hate the new one or you hate Clarkson (and most admit the format had gotten tired anyway) and might give the new one a go.

I am sure you guys in the US do not know who Chris Evans is, he is a very professional and popular presenter and TV producer who knows exactly how to make a TV show. Nothing he has done has been bad and he has had a series of hit shows on TV and Radio. Whatever the new format is it will be done well, not to everyone's taste, but done well. It will not be a copy of old, new topgear.

They are saying the choice of LeBlanc is inspired as it will help sell the show in the US but seem to forget the US version of the show. Does anyone watch that?

I think Chris Harris is also involved (he was in the background of Chris Evans pic of the recent production meeting), I think he is probably a relative unknown for a mainstream TV show, but has a big online following with his videos.
02-05-2016, 01:49 PM
I really liked Clarkson, May, and Hammond, and I'll watch their Amazon show, but I'll also give Top Gear a shot. My only familiarity of Matt LeBlanc is his Friends character, which I am sure is not what he's really like, but he's a big name and a legit car guy.

I watched the US Top Gear the first season, and it was a re-hash of the British version, they re-made a lot of the old British episodes. It wasn't terrible, I guess, but it lacked the chemistry and I felt like I had already seen most of the stuff they had done, just with different cars. Lost interest shortly after. I guess it still comes on? Never knew anyone else that watched it. Probably didn't help they put it on the History Channel (?!) instead of NBC proper.

[Image: 6p7ymog.jpg]
Copyright - Royal Dutch Dicky Graphic Design
02-05-2016, 02:40 PM
i watched american top gear for a while. it was occasionally good and rarely bad. they did too much of what i would call "redneck good times" for my taste. i honestly don't know if they still make it, though i do know they kept making it well after they stopped promoting it.

the bbc is kidding themselves if they think matt leblanc is going to open the american mainstream market for them. friends was 20 years ago, and his career since then has not been super successful.
02-05-2016, 02:58 PM
(02-05-2016 02:40 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  i watched american top gear for a while. it was occasionally good and rarely bad. they did too much of what i would call "redneck good times" for my taste. i honestly don't know if they still make it, though i do know they kept making it well after they stopped promoting it.

the bbc is kidding themselves if they think matt leblanc is going to open the american mainstream market for them. friends was 20 years ago, and his career since then has not been super successful.

The only thing that might help is the planned reunion that is happening soon, which will generate a lot of interest.

To be fair, he's a recognisable name that is also a car guy and is comfortable in front of the camera, there aren't that many about. He certainly has more international appeal that if they used Guy Martin. You'd need subtitles for him.
02-05-2016, 04:00 PM
What about Eddie Jordan?
http://jalopnik.com/formula-one-guy-eddi...4698098200

02-05-2016, 04:05 PM
(02-05-2016 04:00 PM)Jackson Wrote:  What about Eddie Jordan?
http://jalopnik.com/formula-one-guy-eddi...4698098200

OK, that makes a bit more sense after reading that article, I had heard Sabine would be involved somewhere. It also avoids taking a risk on people who are less known quantities at hosting TV shows.

Eddie would be a good fit for the show as a colourful character and he doesn't have any BBC F1 work to do any more.
02-11-2016, 07:49 PM
Australian Top Gear lasted for 2 season from memory - I was in the audience for one show which was interesting
02-11-2016, 07:54 PM
I saw the British/Aussie crossover episode, the Aussies had to drive a Peel through a safari park. Quite funny, actually.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Top Gear S17 Miguel 86 15,833 08-04-2011 03:20 PM
Last Post: Yaaay
  US Top Gear Iceman 28 5,010 05-07-2010 12:31 PM
Last Post: frankdouglason
  Les 24 heures de Top Gear Cé hé sin 2 923 12-10-2007 04:24 PM
Last Post: Yaaay