Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Indycar Engaging Fans, or Gimmick?
03-17-2015, 10:49 AM
Indycar Engaging Fans, or Gimmick?
Indycar is targeting their May 9th race on the Indy Road Course to implement LED tech to display the running order on each car's chassis. I'm sort of curious about this, it seems like a good idea to engage fans. Especially since a lot of fans are typically looking at timing/scoring in real time on a computer while watching the race. Could be used as a way to attract casual fans as well. I don't know it's needed in F1...not enough passing. You could just paste a 1 and 2 on the Mercs and call it a day.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2015/03/3-16...ositioning

[Image: 6p7ymog.jpg]
Copyright - Royal Dutch Dicky Graphic Design
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-17-2015, 12:23 PM
RE: Indycar Engaging Fans, or Gimmick?
seems like a good idea, especially on ovals...if you'll be able to see it from the stands.
03-17-2015, 01:23 PM
Agreed. I took some friends to a CART race at Nazareth a few years back and they were pretty well lost trying to follow cars. Nazareth is a 1 mile "D" shaped track and the pole time was 18.5 seconds! So within a few laps you had everyone pretty well mixed up. No idea who was in what position.

Madness has its toll.  Please have exact change.
03-17-2015, 03:02 PM
sports cars have been trying this idea for a couple years now. i don't get much out of it when i watch the race broadcast, as the ticker and commentators provide that information, but i bet it's a great help to those attending the race in person.
03-17-2015, 11:56 PM
ALMS did this, and it really helped when we watched from the stands.

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/articl...0704263957

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
08-31-2015, 12:06 AM
Juan Pablo Montoya is doing well in IndyCar. He nearly secured the 2015 championship.

The 19 Indy races were exciting. LED lights touting the car position were helpful to attending fans. This race, the lights stayed on as #25 for Justin Wilson. An exciting Indy highlight online is the ability for fans to choose any car camera for a driver's view. Also, at the beginning of the tire-warming lap, the television crew talked with a driver or two just before the rolling start.

Double points for the final race gave Scott Dixon the 2015 IndyCar Series Champion title. In this one race, he gained enough points to tie Juan Pablo Montoya. That lead to a verdict based on wins per season. With this win, Dixon had 3, and Montoya had 2.

Justin Wilson's death sparked more closed cockpit controversy and the FIA is looking into this, however many of the drivers are for higher sides and some sort of bar protecting the top of the driver. As for a cockpit like a jet, the immediate questions concerned high stagnated heat build-up, slow escape by a driver who needs to get out of the car in a hurry, and slower response time by marshalls who need to reach a driver in danger.

It's also interesting to watch F1 on NBCSports, because the announcer (Leigh Diffy) is in America, but talks with an NBC staff member (Will Buxton) who is actually at each F1 event. You forget he and the other hosts (David Hobbs and Steve Matchett) are in America. After the F1 race, Leigh Diffy travels to the Indy event and announces it live for NBCSports.

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  JEV, Silvestro and Rossi Looking for seats in Indycar parrothead 0 505 12-02-2014 09:28 AM
Last Post: parrothead
  Baltimore Indycar 2013 eric4ok 8 1,597 09-14-2013 03:13 PM
Last Post: Neonzapper
  IndyCar - The Cartoon LappedTraffic 51 12,518 03-19-2012 07:17 AM
Last Post: chemics
  McLaren ECUs not working well in Indycar parrothead 0 808 02-25-2012 12:02 PM
Last Post: parrothead
  Horrific 15 Car Crash 2011 IndyCar World Championships in Las Vegas 300 Yaaay 54 19,129 10-25-2011 01:18 PM
Last Post: Neonzapper