Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Formula E kick off
09-12-2014, 02:01 PM
Formula E kick off
I am planning to watch this, it's on at 8am UK time and I will have a couple of hours before I have to check out of this hotel. ITV4 are carrying it for those in the UK.

Some big names racing.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2014, 03:44 PM
RE: Formula E kick off
Race starts at 9am BST.

09-12-2014, 05:53 PM
Was it rubbish.

"Woof Woof"
[Image: jkvnl4.jpg]
09-12-2014, 06:26 PM
This is the problem. The race is tomorrow which hasn't happened yet. After if has happened I can say it was rubbish. Right now, before it has happened I cannot.

09-13-2014, 06:21 AM
It got reported on BBC news and I saw the crash.

They don't seem that quick.

"Woof Woof"
09-13-2014, 11:06 PM

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
09-14-2014, 12:04 PM
EV has great torque. I am rooting for this series.

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
09-15-2014, 10:41 AM
Wow, that was some really bad driving. Did he at least get a ban from a race for that? It could have been really nasty.
09-15-2014, 06:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2014 06:29 PM by Neonzapper.)
(09-15-2014 10:41 AM)chemics Wrote:  Wow, that was some really bad driving. Did he at least get a ban from a race for that? It could have been really nasty.
No ban, but Nicolas Prost has been given a 10-place grid penalty in the Malaysian GP at the end of November. He said he didn't see Prost. They are good friends.

09-15-2014, 09:18 PM
(09-15-2014 06:27 PM)Neonzapper Wrote:  
(09-15-2014 10:41 AM)chemics Wrote:  Wow, that was some really bad driving. Did he at least get a ban from a race for that? It could have been really nasty.
No ban, but Nicolas Prost has been given a 10-place grid penalty in the Malaysian GP at the end of November. He said he didn't see Prost. They are good friends.

He didn't see him, but made a sudden unexpected move off line just as he was being overtaken on the last lap...I'll call bulls**t, but it's his word v's the stewards.
09-16-2014, 05:09 PM
When is yaaay going to write his review?

"Woof Woof"
09-16-2014, 05:54 PM
When he watches it.

09-17-2014, 04:57 PM
You are so slow

"Woof Woof"
09-17-2014, 05:56 PM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2014 06:23 PM by Yaaay.)
I am currently watching it and thoroughly enjoying it.

Well, it was on the worlds worst track, looks like the stupidest indycar street track. And talking of indycar, those "enclosed" "open" wheel designs, that's how F1 will look in a few years so you'd better get used to it.

What really made that race for me is an impressive line up of driver names and team owners. None of these guys are anything less than serious. But the racing was OK. ITV 4 didn't have any front line commentators, sorry Jenny.

This is just the start of the start. Electric cars are here to stay and will become more mainstream. We are watching feature phones, soon we will get the iphone1 and then things will change but we are a long way from the iphone6.

09-18-2014, 06:24 AM
Sound just like my Mabuchi engined slot cars

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
09-18-2014, 09:00 AM
(09-17-2014 05:56 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  I am currently watching it and thoroughly enjoying it.

Well, it was on the worlds worst track, looks like the stupidest indycar street track. And talking of indycar, those "enclosed" "open" wheel designs, that's how F1 will look in a few years so you'd better get used to it.

What really made that race for me is an impressive line up of driver names and team owners. None of these guys are anything less than serious. But the racing was OK. ITV 4 didn't have any front line commentators, sorry Jenny.

This is just the start of the start. Electric cars are here to stay and will become more mainstream. We are watching feature phones, soon we will get the iphone1 and then things will change but we are a long way from the iphone6.

The tech will move fast as there is more uptake. Electric bikes at the Isle of Man TT were originally very slow and lucky if they completed the lap.

In 2010 MotoCzyzs turned up with the first serious race bike compared to the university engineering department teams that had been competing and set 96.820mph lap
By 2014 Mugen (Honda) set the lap record at 117.366mph

for reference, a 600cc supersport class was at 114mph in 1991, 118mph in 2002 and 123mph in 2012

The next challenge will be extending the race distance from 1 to 2 laps and fast swap batteries. Currently the petrol bikes can do 2 lap stints on a tank.

Batteries will be the big challenge for a while, they have too short a range and weigh too much, but racing soon pushes that on and I think large manufacturers are taking it more seriously now, so there will be plenty of investment.
09-18-2014, 02:25 PM
I dont have a problem with Formula E and I know the technology is new......

But the way the drivers change cars, its just terrible, really crap, they need to make it more seamless or something

"Woof Woof"
09-18-2014, 02:30 PM
If 30 mins is the current limitation, lets have a 15 minute sprint and a 30 minute feature with a 15 minute final using mixed grids.

11-27-2014, 01:04 PM
(09-18-2014 02:25 PM)trickydicky Wrote:  I dont have a problem with Formula E and I know the technology is new......

But the way the drivers change cars, its just terrible, really crap, they need to make it more seamless or something
I've been watching Formula E races. I was also thinking about this.

The driver brings the car into the pits (front end in), then jumps out of the car and into the other car (facing out toward the pit lane). A worker on each side of the driver helps with the harness, then the driver is off. There is no (Michelin) tire change, and the tires are short-walls on big wheels.

I'm wondering if a removable battery pack could be utilized. The driver would come in to box, then the crew would quickly remove the battery pack (with large connections like a cellphone battery) and replace it with a fresh battery pack, then the driver was off again.

I like Formula E with the tight tracks and, yes- kerblammos. Plus the quality of drivers (even female) is there.

The strangest thing to me, is the "Fan Turbo" where fans can vote for their favorite driver through social media. By doing this, the highest fan base gives drivers an extra boost during the race.

11-27-2014, 02:30 PM
I've downloaded the last race but not watched it yet.

I like the fan turbo.

The trouble with changing batteries is they would have to find a coin that fitted in the slot to open the battery cover, then they would have to find something pointy to prize the battery out of it's slot. Then they might lose time if the flap hinge caught or broke off and that is not a spare you can buy individually so you would have to buy a whole new camera car.

11-27-2014, 02:48 PM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2014 02:55 PM by chemics.)
If Tesla can do it in 90s I'm sure a race team can find a faster way.

11-27-2014, 05:59 PM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2014 06:09 PM by Neonzapper.)
(11-27-2014 02:30 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  I've downloaded the last race but not watched it yet.
That was a good race with action. I'd like to say more, but don't want to spoil it.

(11-27-2014 02:48 PM)chemics Wrote:  If Tesla can do it in 90s I'm sure a race team can find a faster way.
Exactly! Nice video. Tesla underground battery change video was 1:33 sec. (twice as long as a car change). I have to agree with you that a race team can find a faster way (ie: no bolts to undo, and either a side or up and out swap.

04-04-2015, 10:23 PM
I just watched the Formula E race from the streets of Long Beach, California. The camera coverage is great, the HD quality is great, the open view of the team principals and their reactions can't be hidden, and the team radio quality is as good as a fine cellphone call.

The former F1 drivers go all-out, and there are a few crashes. Scott Speed's car hit the curb in a chicane- which lifted his front tires off the ground. It was impossible to steer, so he hit the wall. Onboard HD camera, helicopter view, and on-track camera coverage showed it all. There were no car changing in garages for this race. Everything was done in the open.

Vergne got a couple of Fan Boosts which aided overtaking, but it was Nelson Piquet taking the win 35 years after his dad won on the streets of Long Beach.

04-05-2015, 05:40 AM
Downloading the race now. I've enjoyed the other races so far.

04-05-2015, 10:29 AM
Just curious, but does anyone know why the track layout was different for Formula E than it is for IndyCar? I initially thought that Formula E going to Long Beach meant that IndyCar was not racing there this year, but a check on the IndyCar website shows that they are there in another few weeks. Is the different track layouts a consideration of the electric cars, or something to do with the promoters?

“Just leave me alone. I know what to do.”
"I'm only here for the racing. All the other bull$hit I can do without." - Kimi

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Superleague kick off race in Donnington Miguel 3 1,337 09-01-2008 11:56 AM
Last Post: Miguel