Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
McLaren
09-21-2016, 01:28 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2016 02:08 PM by Yaaay.)
RE: McLaren
The i-mac just got a new definition. Leave your can't change the battery jokes here.

They can move production of the f1 cars to a sweatshop in China.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-21-2016, 03:29 PM
The Guardian mentioned it could be a strategic move to get into driverless car technology. So there's two seats out the window 2017.

Obviously that was in jest, though, I can't imagine anyone would want to have a supercar, like a P1, where they were merely a passenger. If I were to pay for that kind of performance, I'd want to have a go behind the wheel.

[Image: 6p7ymog.jpg]
Copyright - Royal Dutch Dicky Graphic Design
09-21-2016, 07:57 PM
(09-21-2016 01:28 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  The i-mac just got a new definition. Leave your can't change the battery jokes here.

They can move production of the f1 cars to a sweatshop in China.

Now we know why they went to a full portrait based screen in the 650S

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
09-22-2016, 12:14 AM
(09-21-2016 03:29 PM)Jackson Wrote:  I can't imagine anyone would want to have a supercar, like a P1, where they were merely a passenger. If I were to pay for that kind of performance, I'd want to have a go behind the wheel.

yeah, it seems like it would just be the equivalent of a roller coaster at that point. fun, sure, but how much are you willing to pay for it? a lot less than a supercar.
09-26-2016, 10:27 AM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2016 10:30 AM by chemics.)
(09-22-2016 12:14 AM)frankdouglason Wrote:  
(09-21-2016 03:29 PM)Jackson Wrote:  I can't imagine anyone would want to have a supercar, like a P1, where they were merely a passenger. If I were to pay for that kind of performance, I'd want to have a go behind the wheel.

yeah, it seems like it would just be the equivalent of a roller coaster at that point. fun, sure, but how much are you willing to pay for it? a lot less than a supercar.

I can't imagine the trouble the manufacturer would get in for having a driverless supercar that did anything but obey every traffic law...which sort of defeats the point unless you only use it on track.

I saw a P1 driving through central London last week...I can't imagine why anyone would do that. Lovely looking thing though!

(07-27-2016 09:59 AM)chemics Wrote:  
(07-26-2016 10:23 PM)Neonzapper Wrote:  
(07-25-2016 09:14 AM)chemics Wrote:  Thanks Doc, after some deliberation I've decided to wait until my 40th rather than buying early.
Just a thought...if you are interested in the Omega Speedmaster, perhaps you could hold off one more year for the 50th Anniversary Edition.

My 40th isn't until 2018 anyway, so that might just work out nicely depending on pricing. The interest in buying now was the precipitous drop of the £ and an upcoming visit to London.

Oops, my impatience and the favourable exchange rate got the better of me. I picked one of these up in London.

[Image: Omega+Speedmaster+Professional+Moonwatch...al+861.jpg]
09-26-2016, 09:04 PM
nice choice; very classy.
09-26-2016, 11:49 PM
(09-26-2016 10:27 AM)chemics Wrote:  [Image: Omega+Speedmaster+Professional+Moonwatch...al+861.jpg]

Wow - there's my new engine right there

Locator of Shruberies
09-27-2016, 11:30 AM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2016 11:32 AM by chemics.)
(09-26-2016 09:04 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  nice choice; very classy.

thanks, the ones with more bling really didn't interest me. I also have a leather strap for it should I wish to change, but I prefer steel for day to day.

The only part above the base "original moon watch" spec was sapphire crystal front/back panels instead of the plastic based covers that are more prone to scratching.

It's strange getting used to winding a watch every day.

(09-26-2016 11:49 PM)leonbray Wrote:  [quote='chemics' pid='129965' dateline='1474896449']

Wow - there's my new engine right there

Yep, they certainly aren't cheap. I saved over 20% compared to buying in Canada. Apparently Brexit was at least good for something!
09-28-2016, 06:43 AM
New McLaren electric car

[Image: 160610_mclaren_p1_toy_car_31.jpg?itok=5qxO8ucY]

Locator of Shruberies
09-28-2016, 10:04 AM
Sort of reminds me of my old MX5

[Image: 6p7ymog.jpg]
Copyright - Royal Dutch Dicky Graphic Design
09-28-2016, 11:08 PM
i had a little pedal car when i was a kid. i was always way faster than the kids with the power wheels cars. i never understood why they wanted those little electric snails. though i would have loved my pedal car to look as cool as that mclaren.
09-29-2016, 09:41 AM
(09-27-2016 11:30 AM)chemics Wrote:  thanks, the ones with more bling really didn't interest me. I also have a leather strap for it should I wish to change, but I prefer steel for day to day.

The only part above the base "original moon watch" spec was sapphire crystal front/back panels instead of the plastic based covers that are more prone to scratching.

Cool. A great choice.

What you've got there is called a 'sapphire sandwich' by the cognoscenti.

I've got a 1989 'Apollo XI Commemorative edition', which has a special case engraving and comes with a bracelet and assorted straps and an embroidered copy of the mission patch. It's also got a lot of minor scrapes and scuffs, but that's all part of the fun.

[Image: 11196969393_cf3c8373ae_c.jpg]SMP-20y by drmarkf, on Flickr

Regards,
Mark

"A man who took simple pleasure in making things work properly"
[Nigel Roebuck, writing of Bruce McLaren]

"Bruce McLaren was the best person I ever worked for. He was amazing"
[Howden Ganley, 12th September 2009]
09-29-2016, 11:09 AM
(09-29-2016 09:41 AM)drmarkf Wrote:  
(09-27-2016 11:30 AM)chemics Wrote:  thanks, the ones with more bling really didn't interest me. I also have a leather strap for it should I wish to change, but I prefer steel for day to day.

Cool. A great choice.

What you've got there is called a 'sapphire sandwich' by the cognoscenti.

I've got a 1989 'Apollo XI Commemorative edition', which has a special case engraving and comes with a bracelet and assorted straps and an embroidered copy of the mission patch. It's also got a lot of minor scrapes and scuffs, but that's all part of the fun.

They certainly don't change the design much, I think if you were to remove the straps and put ours side by side I'd be hard pressed to see the difference from the front. The more changeable designs of TAG was part of what put me off their range. I don't want something that will look dated in 10 years.

I'm sure there will be wear over the years with mine, I just didn't like the idea of the cover scratching up and needing to be polished or replaced. I also like being able to see in the back and see all the mechanical bits.

My wife was really taken with the Constellation range, so I suspect we'll be back to an Omega boutique for her in a few years. It was a little over budget to get one each this time!
11-11-2016, 11:59 PM
The end is near for Dear Ron:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php...-next-week
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-12-2016, 08:13 AM
Near? Here more like. Put RD on your list Nas.

This whole thing is totally bizarre, I hope we get to hear the full story some day.

I wonder if Fernando is knocking on Christian or Sergios door.

11-12-2016, 09:24 AM
It's surely a case of big money talking again and being insensitive to & relatively uncaring about the sporting side.

They want their billions, which I'm sure Ron is trying to block, and the fact that the Honda partnership might produce a rocket-ship in 2017 is of little impact in the brand-value scheme of things. Presumably the road car and electronics/consulting/design sides of the business are where huge amounts of value and potential value lie. In developing that side so successfully it looks like Ron has engineered his own departure.

Frankly he should have pulled back a couple of years ago: he'd have been a lot happier for the rest of his years, and his reputation would have remained stronger. It's not as if he needs the money, and he could have done a Surtees and given more back to the sport.

As you say, Peter, I hope I live long enough to read the books...

Regards,
Mark

11-15-2016, 05:58 PM
Ron's gone, wonder if Fred is next

http://www.planetf1.com/news/dennis-quit...ign=chrome

Quote:Ron Dennis ended his 35-year long career at McLaren on Tuesday after he was forced to step down by shareholders.

The chairman and chief executive of the McLaren Group quit after being told by fellow shareholders to step down from his position.

At the root of the issue seems to the fallout Dennis had with business partner Mansour Ojjeh, who also owns 25 percent of the McLaren Group. The other 50 percent is owned by Bahrain’s Mumtalakat investment fund, with whom Ojjeh has sided to remove Dennis.

“My management style is the same as it has always been and is one that has enabled McLaren to become an automotive and technology group that has won 20 Formula 1 World Championships and grown into an £850m-a-year business,” said the 69-year-old in a statement.

“My first concern is to the business I have built and to its 3500 employees. I will continue to use my significant shareholding in both companies and my seats on both boards to protect the interests and value of McLaren and help shape its future.

“I intend to launch a new technology investment fund once my contractual commitments with McLaren expire.”

Dennis joined McLaren in 1981 and has won ten drivers’ titles with the likes of Ayrton Senna, Mika Hakkinen and Lewis Hamilton.

Locator of Shruberies
11-15-2016, 07:12 PM
He deserves very much better, but one must admit it's partially self-inflicted. There aren't many characters left now, are there?

I hope they give him a party.

Regards,
Mark

11-16-2016, 04:48 PM
This is nuts really. He must have been going doolally.

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2016/11/...mclaren-2/

11-16-2016, 06:31 PM
Peter Windsors comments - Ron's departure was personal

Locator of Shruberies
11-16-2016, 06:55 PM
Yeah, that rings true, although it's slightly stretching a point to say that autocrats are de rigeur these days - if the corporate arm has got more powerful than the racing one then the autocrats will be cut out if they're causing too much trouble in the current business environment.

Regards,
Mark