Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
McLaren
08-30-2014, 01:55 PM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2014 02:01 PM by Neonzapper.)
McLaren
Honda is heavily pushing McLaren to pursue Adrian Newey and Sebastian Vettel for 2015, but according to Eric Boullier, the strategy is for the coming years, not next year.

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2014, 08:34 AM
RE: McLaren
(08-30-2014 01:55 PM)Neonzapper Wrote:  Honda is heavily pushing McLaren to pursue Adrian Newey and Sebastian Vettel for 2015, but according to Eric Boullier, the strategy is for the coming years, not next year.

Didn't Newey just sign a multi-year deal with Red Bull that basically lets him do whatever he wants and therefore stops him going to a rival team? I suspect he's largely done with F1 and wants to play with other projects now.

A quick Google search says Ferrari offered $20M, but he signed with Red Bull, plus his existing contract prior to this was up to 2016 anyway, so I'd guess he's staying put.
09-04-2014, 06:26 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2014 06:27 PM by Neonzapper.)
Honda wants Alonso and/or Vettel, too. Apparently, Honda has no problem paying to break contracts.

http://asia.eurosport.com/formula-1/mcla...tory.shtml

09-04-2014, 07:11 PM
Neither are young enough. Honda will take two or three years to be competitive whereby these guys will be too old. I want The Hulk and The Bottas.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
09-05-2014, 05:42 PM
Yup (since we can't seem to get the Fred and the Bottas).

Crikey - we may be heading for a season with the DrMark and the Yaaay not only supporting the McLaren, but both their drivers, too.

Shumm mistaik, shoorly???

Regards,
Mark

"A man who took simple pleasure in making things work properly"
[Nigel Roebuck, writing of Bruce McLaren]

"Bruce McLaren was the best person I ever worked for. He was amazing"
[Howden Ganley, 12th September 2009]
09-05-2014, 06:04 PM
(09-05-2014 05:42 PM)drmarkf Wrote:  Yaaay not only supporting the McLaren, but both their drivers, too.

You mean Macca are getting Pastor to drive with Jenson?

09-09-2014, 11:57 AM
Meh - if I'm Honda right now I'd rather try to grab Ricciardo since he has been making Vettel look like a chump all year.

Ricciardo and Kyvat would be a hell of a pairing.

Lephturn

"Racing is life... everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in 'Le Mans'
09-09-2014, 03:01 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2014 03:05 PM by drmarkf.)
Sebastian worries me: I can't immediately think of another multi-WDC winner who remained in the same team and was then comprehensively and consistently outclassed by an inexperienced driver, new in to the car, in consecutive seasons.

Anyone?

I know even the reliable pundits such as Brundle keep banging on about how classy a driver he was and will be again, and I agree he has shown some improvement over the past couple of races, but really...

My money's now on Macca keeping JB and KevMag for the first season with Honda, saving their money, and signing a really big name during 2015.

Fred should be monumentally pi$$ed off with the Ferrari omnishambles by then, and he must have 3 more good years left in him.

Furthermore, Ricciardo and Bottas would both be extractable for large numbers of yen if either of their 2015 machines wasn't up to scratch, while Grosjean and the Hulk would be extractable for almost no yen at all regardless of how their steeds performed.

Fred plus Bottas would be mega.

{yes, and I predict a dalliance with enticing Lewis back during 2015, but really he'd just be acting as a stalking horse to keep the real target's salary demands down]

Regards,
Mark

09-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Hmmm ... Alonso to McLaren, Bottas to Merc, Lewis to Ferrari under Ross Brawn? Maybe not for 15 maybe 2016. Both Honda and Ferrari would have to get their crap together in 2015 before the big names will want to sign. Nobody wants to do a Villeneuve.

Lephturn

"Racing is life... everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in 'Le Mans'
09-10-2014, 06:21 PM
I doubt Lewis would jump ship from the fastest ride- just because he can't stand his teammate.

09-15-2014, 10:21 AM
Agreed Neonzapper - UNLESS we get to a point where the team chooses Rosberg over him. If the team makes another bad call that Lewis feels costs him a championship.... that would be enough.

Lephturn

11-13-2014, 11:51 PM
McLaren will be running the new Honda power unit at Silverstone on Friday. Perhaps an announcement as well???

11-14-2014, 04:42 AM
(11-13-2014 11:51 PM)Neonzapper Wrote:  McLaren will be running the new Honda power unit at Silverstone on Friday. Perhaps an announcement as well???

They'll need full wet tyres.

Presumably the announcement will come by text.

Regards,
Mark

11-14-2014, 04:52 AM
They picked a bad day, it's peeing down right now.

11-14-2014, 03:19 PM
They had to wait until lunchtime for the rain to stop.

McLaren Honda - love it, I just hope Jenson is in it. I might even buy some Macca gear.

[Image: 21mxlkx.jpg]

[Image: 7254jn.jpg]

11-17-2014, 04:12 PM

11-23-2014, 10:34 PM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2014 10:35 PM by Lephturn.)
McLaren is now looking solidly like Alonso & KevMag. Button will be running WEC next year.

I'm thinking Alonso has shot himself in the foot again and Vettel will look like a genius when Brawn comes back to the prancing horse and turns that ship around. Could be wrong if the Honda is a rocket.

Lephturn

11-24-2014, 05:32 AM
(11-23-2014 10:34 PM)Lephturn Wrote:  ... when Brawn comes back to the prancing horse and turns that ship around. Could be wrong if the Honda is a rocket.

Even Ross is likely to need at least 1 season to correct the current managerial and engineering omnishambles there.

I do see evidence recently in the McLaren of Prodromou's aero skills, so by next year it's likely to use its tyres better still and be more driveable. The real unknown is whether Honda's piece of jewellery turns out to be Casio or Cartier.

Regards,
Mark

12-01-2014, 02:23 PM
Driver lineup will be decided Thursday

12-01-2014, 04:08 PM
(12-01-2014 02:23 PM)Neonzapper Wrote:  Driver lineup will be decided Thursday

Meanwhile Button, Alonso & Magnussen all get fed up of waiting and sign to drive in WEC leaving them with nobody to pick from.
12-02-2014, 09:21 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 07:42 PM by parrothead.)
McLaren are stating to look like a bunch of buffoons...

Just pick your damn drivers and move on
12-04-2014, 05:25 PM
No announcement for tomorrow- the Board met today, and could not decide the fate of the drivers, so they convened for holiday vacation until after Christmas and New Year's.

12-04-2014, 06:06 PM
(12-04-2014 05:25 PM)Neonzapper Wrote:  No announcement for tomorrow- the Board met today, and could not decide the fate of the drivers, so they convened for holiday vacation until after Christmas and New Year's.

No title sponsor
No driver decision
No leadership

Ron has really made a difference !!!!

At least with Whitmarsh they had a leader. Now all you have is Caesar Ron and a lap dog Boulier and they can't even announce that Rat Fink is under contract.

I think my faith in McLaren's prowess is quickly disappearing

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
12-04-2014, 06:53 PM
The bigger issue is share ownership. Ron is trying to buy back shares and for some reason this is holding back on what should be a simple decision. I mean, it's Honda and Jenson is Honda material so there is something bigger happening.

12-04-2014, 07:45 PM
Checked twice today to see who they picked. Unbelievable they still cant make an announcement!