Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Armco's for wimps
08-19-2014, 11:34 AM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2014 11:43 AM by drmarkf.)
Armco's for wimps
This could easily go in the 'Bikes' section, but here will do: give this a run full screen while sitting close to a decent wide monitor with the sound wicked up. You might need a Stemetil after.

Higgins' Subaru WRX STI let loose on the Isle of Man TT course earlier this year - 22 minutes of hooliganism. Nice understated commentary: "A lot of quite dodgy corners, I'd say...".

This look me back to 1971 and '72 when I went to the TT with school friends: somewhere in the study I've got a load of Kodachromes taken cowering behind the flint walls at Quarterbridge and The Nook, and also at Creg-ny-Baa.

I really don't know why people get so excited about the Nordschleife.

BTW, in case anyone's wondering why he refers to what happened in 2011:

Regards,
Mark

"A man who took simple pleasure in making things work properly"
[Nigel Roebuck, writing of Bruce McLaren]

"Bruce McLaren was the best person I ever worked for. He was amazing"
[Howden Ganley, 12th September 2009]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-19-2014, 11:43 AM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2014 11:44 AM by chemics.)
RE: Armco's for wimps
That's a bit slow, Bruce Anstey got round in 17m11s this year. Here's some of the on-board footage.

Armco kills bikers, you need some room to slide...and if you're really lucky you bounce over the stone wall and live to tell the tale.

08-19-2014, 11:50 AM
Big Grin
I thought you'd be a fan.

Try this, as well, if you like 2-wheeled versions of the real Green-and-flint Hell:

Dunlop and Martin are without a doubt two of the bravest and most skilful men on the planet.
As far as I'm concerned, in comparison you can sweep up the entire field of pretentious F1 drivers and shove them off Westminster pier in a concrete rowing boat.

Regards,
Mark

08-19-2014, 12:56 PM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2014 01:00 PM by chemics.)
(08-19-2014 11:50 AM)drmarkf Wrote:  Big Grin
I thought you'd be a fan.

Try this, as well, if you like 2-wheeled versions of the real Green-and-flint Hell:

Dunlop and Martin are without a doubt two of the bravest and most skilful men on the planet.
As far as I'm concerned, in comparison you can sweep up the entire field of pretentious F1 drivers and shove them off Westminster pier in a concrete rowing boat.

Not sure of you caught the Michael Dunlop documentary on ITV4 over TT week, his mental strength must be off the charts what he's been through and is still able to race. I can see his beating Joey's records before he's done, especially if he carries on at his current rate.

I also just bought Guy Martin's autobiography which I've heard is a good read. He's a bit of a character to say the least, the TT racers don't really fir the corporate sportsman world.

I think Webber was the only F1 driver that seemed to be anywhere near these guys. He's a big Speedway fan and mates with John McGuinness.

While we're on the subject of bikes, if you are interested in history and bikes I can highly recommend "Stealing Speed" by Matt Oxley, it is out of print, but has just been added to the kindle store (and presumably other e-book stores).
08-19-2014, 01:17 PM
Guy Martin has made some great geeky TV shows, he comes over as totally genuine.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
08-19-2014, 01:30 PM
(08-19-2014 01:17 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  Guy Martin has made some great geeky TV shows, he comes over as totally genuine.

I think he is doing a second season of his speed series that was on this year and there is something about the Spitfire he just restored starting soon. I agree, he comes over as totally genuine, just a slightly odd, but ordinary bloke who likes fixing stuff and going fast. I wish we were able to get the shows over here without torrents.
08-19-2014, 06:49 PM
Yes, I'm sure he's a bullsh1t free zone. His series on restoring Victorian engineering is very informative in a geeky sort of way, and Speed is excellent television.

A genuine hero IMHO. I hope he doesn't kill himself.

Regards,
Mark

08-21-2014, 03:40 PM
I recall seeing a video one where someone or something was trying to subtitle him by electronic means.

Didn't work! I'm sure Guy speaks English, it's just not as most people know it.
08-21-2014, 04:05 PM
(08-21-2014 03:40 PM)Cé hé sin Wrote:  I recall seeing a video one where someone or something was trying to subtitle him by electronic means.

Didn't work! I'm sure Guy speaks English, it's just not as most people know it.

Which makes me think of this