Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I heard Peter was looking to replace his Ferrari
08-13-2014, 07:02 PM (This post was last modified: 08-13-2014 07:10 PM by drmarkf.)
I heard Peter was looking to replace his Ferrari
Could do a lot worse than this one:

Milking it, perhaps, but the production values are good.

I believe they got the nice Heuer Monaco almost, but not quite, right at around 5.19. The T-shirt and jeans look correct... (he was given the Monaco during the making of Le Mans in 1971 whereas I think he'd sold the 275 by then. Probably should have been a Rolex 5513 Submariner on the wrist).

WatchNerdMode = off

Regards,
Mark

"A man who took simple pleasure in making things work properly"
[Nigel Roebuck, writing of Bruce McLaren]

"Bruce McLaren was the best person I ever worked for. He was amazing"
[Howden Ganley, 12th September 2009]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-13-2014, 07:22 PM
RE: I heard Peter was looking to replace his Ferrari
That man had style - 250 Lusso, 275 GTB/4 - they don't get much better than that

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
08-14-2014, 05:06 AM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2014 05:08 AM by drmarkf.)
Well I'd say the XKSS came better than either.

Oh yeah - he had one of those, too!

Yes, all film celebrities have been used to sell products and give them style, but McQueen seemed to have a genuine appreciation for quality in all sorts of areas, and for originality. His style enhanced a lot of products and was itself created by the things he wore and used.

It's said he came to resent it - he used to get cynical about the likely effect on his 'followers' when he found something new he liked.

One certainly doesn't get the impression he chased 'brand ambassadorships' or other bribery like 95% sportspeople do today, although it must be said that he'd have known that behaving like that would have devalued his own very special 'freethinking loner' brand.

If you don't know it, this is a good book, which reeks of Brand McQueen: http://www.amazon.co.uk/McQueens-Machine...0760338957

Regards,
Mark

"A man who took simple pleasure in making things work properly"
[Nigel Roebuck, writing of Bruce McLaren]

"Bruce McLaren was the best person I ever worked for. He was amazing"
[Howden Ganley, 12th September 2009]
08-14-2014, 07:49 AM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2014 08:06 AM by Neonzapper.)
Good report, Doctor! My few car-related watches are not as exquisite as your large watch collection, but I have the same passion for watches and cars. Unlike the usually never changing Rolex brand, Heuer changed the Monaco look a few times. I suppose the movie, Le Mans, has branded McQueen with that watch, but he too, had several watches. Paul Newman always wore his Rolex Daytona, because his wife gave it to him.

As Clark and Nasir can probably tell you, the 17 mile drive in Monterey around the Pebble Beach area is amazing, as well as the coastal drive along Big Sur. Anyone visiting that area MUST drive there.

My wife gave me the McQueen book a few years ago, and I still enjoy it tremendously. Steve McQueen enjoyed his cars and motorcycles as well as working on them himself. Luckily, his son picked up a bit of the passion, too.

I'm a big fan of Steve McQueen. He liked so many different types of cars, but mostly with racing heritage. That Ferrari is timeless inside and out.

Good post- thanks!

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
08-14-2014, 11:44 AM
What do you reckon?

[Image: xf7ml2.jpg]

[Image: 5da1bb.jpg]

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
08-14-2014, 06:33 PM
I would say that is a fun ride! (My Ferrari is bye bye, too) Smile

08-14-2014, 06:41 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2014 06:45 PM by Yaaay.)
The steering wheel is on the wrong side.

Does anyone know what it is?

08-14-2014, 07:18 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2014 07:21 PM by leonbray.)
Fiat 1500 Cabriolet - Pininfarina

Locator of Shruberies
08-14-2014, 07:19 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2014 07:24 PM by Neonzapper.)
(08-14-2014 06:41 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  The steering wheel is on the wrong side.
It's an illusion, because it is parked on the wrong side.
(08-14-2014 06:41 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  Does anyone know what it is?
I am very curious. My best guess would be non-American, circa late '50s/early '60s...possibly British or Italian? Hint?

* EDIT * Good job, Leonbray! You posted while I was writing.

I guessed possibly British because of the rear end which closely resembles an MG (although it is also similar to many Italian cars).

08-15-2014, 02:38 AM
Yes and I find it pretty but sufficiently rare it's not something you see every day. However it's probably hopelessly unreliable and will rust if it rains in the next county.

08-15-2014, 06:27 AM
(08-15-2014 02:38 AM)Yaaay Wrote:  Yes and I find it pretty but sufficiently rare it's not something you see every day. However it's probably hopelessly unreliable and will rust if it rains in the next county.

No different to a Ferrari then?
08-15-2014, 07:35 AM
(08-15-2014 06:27 AM)Cé hé sin Wrote:  
(08-15-2014 02:38 AM)Yaaay Wrote:  Yes and I find it pretty but sufficiently rare it's not something you see every day. However it's probably hopelessly unreliable and will rust if it rains in the next county.

No different to a Ferrari then?
Old Ferraris don't have the rust problem that old Fiats do.

08-15-2014, 11:37 AM
The body of the Fiat looks to be in good shape from the distance of the photo. How has the current owner maintained it with such a rust issue?

[Image: 6p7ymog.jpg]
Copyright - Royal Dutch Dicky Graphic Design
08-15-2014, 12:47 PM
It lived in italy most of it's life and it's been recently "restored" so the rust has paint on it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301254649812?s...1423.l2649

08-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Quick Lube Mechanic to Lady in Waiting Room: "Ma'am, your car's ready...I don't know anything about the last cam/belt change, the valve stems, or that compression leak down thingy you asked me about, but the engine is in rude (unwanted noise) good health with no smoke and (the only 50 year old engine in history with) no oil leaks. With the new battery, it starts on the button. The new front disc brakes haul the car down in short order, the steering is communicative (it tells me about 2" play- give or take 2") and light and the 4 speed all synchro gearbox is (fun to guess the gear) a delight to use. Fresh mechanical work includes a new Yuasa high output battery, brake and exhaust replacement, and the cabriolet was supplied with our lubrication service performed. After spraying engine gunk and water all over the engine, the engine bay is fully detailed to our usual high standard."

All joking aside, I like this car!

08-16-2014, 06:52 PM
Yep. I'd be firing their engine bay detailer. A degrease, pressure wash and shiny stuff on the air cleaner doesn't cut it as detailing.

Very nice car though. Reminds me of a small Ferrari 250GT cabriolet (also Pininfarina)

Locator of Shruberies

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hommage an Peter Sauber, Verkehrshaus Luzern forza minardi 19 4,952 10-01-2008 04:42 PM
Last Post: Yaaay