Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tony Stewart Kills Kevin Ward, Jr. in Sprint Car Race
08-11-2014, 10:06 PM
Tony Stewart Kills Kevin Ward, Jr. in Sprint Car Race
(CNN) -- Although NASCAR driver Tony Stewart is not currently facing criminal charges in the death of another driver, he is not officially in the clear.

"This is an ongoing investigation, and all options remain available," Sheriff Philip C. Povero of Ontario County, New York, said Monday. "We're continuing to gather and analyze every piece of evidence we can."

Stewart hit and killed another driver who was walking on a track during a dirt-track race in upstate New York on Saturday night, authorities said.

Kevin Ward Jr., 20, died from injuries suffered in the incident at the Empire Super Sprints series event at the Canandaigua Motorsports Park.

The track is about a two-hour drive from Watkins Glen International race track, where Stewart had been scheduled to race in a NASCAR event Sunday.

"There aren't words to describe the sadness I feel about the accident that took the life of Kevin Ward Jr.," Stewart said Sunday, according to a written statement tweeted by NASCAR. "It's a very emotional time for all involved. ... My thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and everyone affected by this tragedy."

Stewart decided not to take part in Sunday's event.

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2014, 07:43 AM
RE: Tony Stewart Kills Kevin Ward, Jr. in Sprint Car Race
This is a tragic event that is shown on YouTube. It has to be extremely hard for the Ward family to endure. My personal thoughts are that it was a very bad accident. Tony Stewart is a hot head, and in the past has thrown his helmet at a car on the track, and other such antics. That is NASCAR racing now. But, I don't think he intentionally hit Kevin Ward. This was a Sprint car race with lower level track safety. It was at night with poor lighting, and there was a car in front of Tony Stewart (making it difficult to see what was ahead). It looked like Tony tried to swerve away from Kevin as soon as he saw him standing on the track, but the large right rear tire caught Kevin. R.I.P.

08-12-2014, 12:59 PM
Very unfortunate. I think it shows that unless there is a fire, the driver should stay put until rescue crew arrives, and then he/she should immediately exit the track over the barriers. An active track is no place to loiter, especially in dark conditions whilst wearing all black. I understand that Kevin was upset, but I feel like it would have been safer, and more appropriate to cool off in the pits and perhaps approach Tony after the race to discuss the on-track issues. Obviously, I don't say that to place blame on anyone and it's very unfortunate for all parties involved. I'm sure Kevin's family is having a very rough time digesting this, and I'm sure it's weighing heavily on Tony as well. I think Tony made the right decision to sit out this past Sunday at Watkins Glen. There is no way that Tony could have been 100% focused on the race on Sunday after the accident, and motorsport, for the sake of safety, is not a sport that you can participate in without 100% focus on the task at hand.

[Image: 6p7ymog.jpg]
Copyright - Royal Dutch Dicky Graphic Design
08-31-2014, 03:43 PM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2014 03:43 PM by Neonzapper.)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mario Andretti's First Race Car (Grand Turismo 6) Neonzapper 0 610 01-09-2014 08:22 PM
Last Post: Neonzapper