Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I'm starting to like Nikki Lauda
07-07-2014, 09:10 AM
I'm starting to like Nikki Lauda
http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story...CMP=chrome

"All these delays, nursing everybody, with five second [penalties] here and white lines there; it's all wrong. This should be stopped. I talked to Bernie and he fully agrees and we have to go back to normal racing."

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2014, 01:14 PM
RE: I'm starting to like Nikki Lauda
Well I agree with the general sentiment. I’m particularly not a fan of all these penalties given for in-race crashes. Seems a little trigger happy at times.

I’m not really bothered about cars keeping 4 wheels inside the track. But then again i don’t really mind if they enforce it. If its in the rules they might as well be consistent.

I would however argue that Niki seems a little lost in the passed. Modern day life is all about liability, legal issues etc etc. You simply can not hold a race when the track is damaged. Just because theres a 99.9% chance that nobody would hit that spot again does not mean it wont happen. F1 has a reputation for safety and must set an example.

I also think Niki needs to reassess whether every racing driver knows exactly where the drainage system is on each track. In his prior statement (about the barrier) he admits that its a highly unlikely place to go off. By the same token, its highly unlikely Kimi would know he would be flung into the air.

What was Kimi supposed to do? Slow down to 50mph and hope for the best? The more I think about it the more ridiculous it sounds. Does anybody seriously think Kimi knew he was taking a huge risk? These are split second decisions.

I have a lot of time for the great man don’t get me wrong. But he’s another example of a ex-F1 champion who gives his opinion every 5 minutes. We used to have it with Jackie Stewart (thank god nobody asks him anymore).

"Woof Woof"
[Image: jkvnl4.jpg]
07-07-2014, 01:15 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2014 01:22 PM by Neonzapper.)
I like Nikki too, but isn't he the guy portrayed in all the movies as not racing in the rain because it wasn't safe? As for Bernie- Bernie does what Bernie wants to do- after agreeing with anyone he wants and doing anything he says he's not going to do.

What I don't get is why titanium blocks to make sparks, and trumpets to make noise are possible considerations for the sport.

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
07-07-2014, 11:21 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2014 12:21 AM by monzagorilla.)
(07-07-2014 01:15 PM)Neonzapper Wrote:  I like Nikki too, but isn't he the guy portrayed in all the movies as not racing in the rain because it wasn't safe?

Not quite... he had no problem racing in the rain... he just felt the extreme conditions in Japan were too dangerous. What is often overlooked is he was not the only driver to park his car due to the conditions. The others: Emerson Fittipaldi (9th lap), Carlos Pace (7th) and Larry Perkins (1st).

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Japanese_Grand_Prix

Madness has its toll.  Please have exact change.
07-08-2014, 07:44 AM
Ah! Thanks Monzagorilla. I'm new enough to F1 that I only thought it was Nikki Lauda.

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
07-08-2014, 08:17 AM
I read somewhere once, and now cannot back this up, that there has never been a fatal accident in the wet for a significant period of time and that accidents in the wet are much less likely to harm because all the speeds are significantly lower.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
07-11-2014, 12:50 AM
Lauda is an opinionated old man - but they all are.

GrandPrixWeekly.com's Fabulous, Fierce, Formula-1 Femme Fatale
---
Caution, curvy chicanes ahead.
----
http://www.zazzle.com/my/products/public...4739160534
Check out my F1 t-shirt designs for female F1 fans.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-11-2014, 06:23 AM
(07-11-2014 12:50 AM)DesireeF1Weekly Wrote:  Lauda is an opinionated old man - but they all are.

Nobody without opinions would be worth interviewing.

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

Wink

Regards,
Mark

"A man who took simple pleasure in making things work properly"
[Nigel Roebuck, writing of Bruce McLaren]

"Bruce McLaren was the best person I ever worked for. He was amazing"
[Howden Ganley, 12th September 2009]
07-11-2014, 08:25 AM
(07-11-2014 06:23 AM)drmarkf Wrote:  
(07-11-2014 12:50 AM)DesireeF1Weekly Wrote:  Lauda is an opinionated old man - but they all are.

Nobody without opinions would be worth interviewing.

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

Wink

That doesn't mean anyone should ask Eddie Irvine though.
07-12-2014, 02:07 AM
Heehee

GrandPrixWeekly.com's Fabulous, Fierce, Formula-1 Femme Fatale
---
Caution, curvy chicanes ahead.
----
http://www.zazzle.com/my/products/public...4739160534
Check out my F1 t-shirt designs for female F1 fans.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user