Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Spice up your life.
04-22-2014, 09:37 AM
RE: Spice up your life.
My shoe/jeans selfie for today, yes folks I am at work.

[Image: 33cm448.jpg]

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-22-2014, 09:43 AM
I worked on Good Friday and Easter Monday. Unfortunately, I have a deadline at work on May 15th, so I won't be getting time off other than weekends until then, and I may have to work a Saturday or two (which I try to avoid with all of my might).

Once the deadline is over, my office will usually give us a few free days that do not count against our vacation time (floating holiday) for any bank holiday that we worked. It seems like a dumpy deal, but it's more than most people in my industry get.

And yes, that stupid Cadillac commercial made me mad. I'd love to take August off.

[Image: 6p7ymog.jpg]
Copyright - Royal Dutch Dicky Graphic Design
04-22-2014, 11:11 AM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2014 11:11 AM by chemics.)
(04-22-2014 09:43 AM)Jackson Wrote:  I worked on Good Friday and Easter Monday. Unfortunately, I have a deadline at work on May 15th, so I won't be getting time off other than weekends until then, and I may have to work a Saturday or two (which I try to avoid with all of my might).

Once the deadline is over, my office will usually give us a few free days that do not count against our vacation time (floating holiday) for any bank holiday that we worked. It seems like a dumpy deal, but it's more than most people in my industry get.

And yes, that stupid Cadillac commercial made me mad. I'd love to take August off.

We have a sales guy here that accrued so much vacation he took July & August off 2 years ago and just went out on his boat sailing most days. I wouldn't want to miss taking so much vacation that I could do that, but I was very jealous at the time.
04-22-2014, 11:40 AM
Yeah, that would be AMAZING!

I get 5 weeks of paid vacation and we can carry up to a week over to the next year. In 2013 I used more vacation that I ever had in the past, taking all but 1.5 days (most of it was spent on the honeymoon). This year I plan on using it all.

04-22-2014, 11:49 AM
You should just spend a month wearing jeans and brown shoes.

04-22-2014, 11:57 AM
I'm currently wearing blue pants and brown shoes.

04-22-2014, 01:27 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2014 01:29 PM by frankdouglason.)
(04-22-2014 08:52 AM)chemics Wrote:  I'm not sure what it's like in the US, but I got Friday off as a public holiday but not Monday. However government workers, banks and Unionised employees all get Easter Monday.

there's no such thing as easter monday. friday off makes more sense. though personally, i would rather just be given the days and be allowed to take them whenever i want rather than being beholden to the christian calendar.

(04-22-2014 09:43 AM)Jackson Wrote:  And yes, that stupid Cadillac commercial made me mad. I'd love to take August off.

i hate that commercial so much. it's like they decided to make an ad for everything that is wrong with american business culture. i watched a lot of olympic curling, which was usually on cnbc, and it meant seeing that ad far more than i ever want to, along with ads for several repugnant cnbc shows.
04-22-2014, 01:36 PM
(04-22-2014 01:27 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  i hate that commercial so much. it's like they decided to make an ad for everything that is wrong with american business culture. i watched a lot of olympic curling, which was usually on cnbc, and it meant seeing that ad far more than i ever want to, along with ads for several repugnant cnbc shows.

Totally agree. I see what they were trying to do, but the execution was way off and it played nonstop during the Olympics.

04-22-2014, 05:27 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2014 05:29 PM by Neonzapper.)
Here in American, many businesses, public schools and the stock market are closed on Good Friday. "Easter Monday" is the Monday following Easter. It is generally a Holiday for many businesses and the school system here. Due to the generous amount of snow this past Winter, the students lost Easter Monday as a day off this year. Here is next year's calendar listing April 6 as "Easter Monday"

http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/info/...rs/future/

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
04-22-2014, 05:45 PM
they couldn't just say spring break is from april 3 to april 10, they had to specifically designate two of those days as jesus days. how many christians did it take to lobby for that? why is january 2 called winter break instead of new year's day 2: even newer?
04-22-2014, 05:56 PM
(04-22-2014 05:45 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  they couldn't just say spring break is from april 3 to april 10, they had to specifically designate two of those days as jesus days. how many christians did it take to lobby for that? why is january 2 called winter break instead of new year's day 2: even newer?

That could be because January 1 is called New Years Day and Easter Monday is the traditional name for the holiday following Easter Sunday

In the words of Tevye ..... tradition

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
04-22-2014, 05:59 PM
i swear, i have never heard the phrase "easter monday" until i read it in this thread. i've heard of "easter (observed)" before, which isn't a real holiday either, but it's closer to honest.
04-23-2014, 09:58 AM
(04-22-2014 05:59 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  i swear, i have never heard the phrase "easter monday" until i read it in this thread. i've heard of "easter (observed)" before, which isn't a real holiday either, but it's closer to honest.

In the UK both Good Friday and Easter Monday are Public Holidays.

I'm surprised you've never heard of Easter Monday if it was a school holiday. Is that day off state specific or was it just called something else?
04-23-2014, 02:06 PM
(04-22-2014 09:37 AM)Yaaay Wrote:  My shoe/jeans selfie for today, yes folks I am at work.

Considering the state of the room, you're clearly on the process of moving office, so that's acceptable.

Ad Astra Per Audacia
04-23-2014, 02:10 PM
(04-22-2014 09:37 AM)Yaaay Wrote:  My shoe/jeans selfie for today, yes folks I am at work.

Also, the box on the table, is that the box your brown shoes came in?

04-23-2014, 02:13 PM
(04-23-2014 09:58 AM)chemics Wrote:  
(04-22-2014 05:59 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  i swear, i have never heard the phrase "easter monday" until i read it in this thread. i've heard of "easter (observed)" before, which isn't a real holiday either, but it's closer to honest.

In the UK both Good Friday and Easter Monday are Public Holidays.

I'm surprised you've never heard of Easter Monday if it was a school holiday. Is that day off state specific or was it just called something else?

just called something else. it was just another day in our "spring recess."
04-23-2014, 02:21 PM
(04-23-2014 02:06 PM)Miguel Wrote:  

Considering the state of the room, you're clearly on the process of moving office, so that's acceptable.

you underestimate the natural state of an engineers office, I wouldn't assume the mess (organised chaos) means he's moving.
04-23-2014, 05:31 PM
It's temporary while we fit out a new factory. It will be the book keepers office.

She thinks she is an accountant, but I know a book keeper when I see one.

04-23-2014, 05:54 PM
(04-23-2014 05:31 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  It's temporary while we fit out a new factory. It will be the book keepers office.

She thinks she is an accountant, but I know a book keeper when I see one.

I know a lot of bookkeepers that think they are accountants.

04-23-2014, 06:16 PM
what's the difference, exactly?
04-23-2014, 06:29 PM
There isn't any.

04-23-2014, 06:30 PM
(04-23-2014 06:16 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  what's the difference, exactly?

Accountants fix the things the bookkeepers do wrong.

04-24-2014, 02:30 PM
(04-23-2014 06:30 PM)Jackson Wrote:  
(04-23-2014 06:16 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  what's the difference, exactly?

Accountants fix the things the bookkeepers do wrong.

A bookkepper is basically a score keeper, they maintain the basic records in the right places (or at least what they think are the right places). The accountant actually knows what that data means and does something of value with it plus the other 90% of their job that the bookkeeper knows nothing about. There is a good reason a small business owners takes their files the bookkeeper has prepared to an accountant at the end of the year.

Think of it as the difference between hiring a lawyer and getting your friend that sat a couple of law courses in college to offer you advice.
04-24-2014, 06:10 PM
http://jeansandsheux.tumblr.com/post/826...n-see-from

04-24-2014, 06:19 PM
(04-24-2014 06:10 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  http://jeansandsheux.tumblr.com/post/826...n-see-from

i've always found the phrase "right/left hand," as opposed to simply "right/left" to be strange and pointless. using it when referring to a shoe is an extra level of wrong.