Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Flow Gate
03-20-2014, 06:52 PM
Flow Gate
Interesting take from http://blog.axisofoversteer.com/

Just one race into the 2014 season and already there is a controversy in Formula 1, FlowGate.

Fans don't like it or even understand it, it's easy to make an argument against the maximum fuel flow regulation and sway opinion against it. "Just let them run whatever flow, if they run of gas that's that" goes the refrain.

The rule was put in place to encourage development of the "electric" part of the power units. It's easy for manufacturers to get power by increasing fuel to the internal combustion part of the Power Units, went the FIA thinking, we want development on the energy recovery side.

But who wanted this engine formula most? That's right, the FIA and Jean Todt. Now Mr.E has come out criticizing the sound of the engines, a video comparing 2013 F1 sounds to 2014 ones goes viral and "miraculously" does not get pulled from YouTube by FOM. Australian circuit promoters talk about suing for breach of contract.

Today there is an interview on the Gazzetta dello Sport with Flavio Briatore who aligns himself with Ecclestone saying the new formula is a disaster and the FIA should drop the 100 kg/hr fuels flow immediately.
That same rule Red Bull, Bernie protege Christioan Horner at the helm, felt sufficiently covered to openly challenge the FIA on.

It smells of a long term campaign in an old war, just saying.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2014, 07:13 PM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2014 07:14 PM by leonbray.)
RE: Flow Gate
That's how it used to be. Mandate a fuel capacity and let them loose. If they run out of fuel they lose. At least they have the freedom to develop and manage the engines and run a race strategy to suit the team

Pity they banned pushing the car across the line to finish

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
03-20-2014, 07:21 PM
I do find it very strange that Red Bull are contesting this. From what evidence I've seen they are just plain guilty.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
03-20-2014, 07:36 PM
But we're talking F1 here. Being self evidently guilty doesn't mean your appeal won't win.
03-20-2014, 08:01 PM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2014 08:01 PM by frankdouglason.)
i wonder what the citizens of brands hatch think of the idea of suing a racing organization because they didn't make enough noise at the track.
03-20-2014, 08:19 PM
(03-20-2014 07:21 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  I do find it very strange that Red Bull are contesting this. From what evidence I've seen they are just plain guilty.

Bring back Max

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
03-21-2014, 09:12 AM
(03-20-2014 08:01 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  i wonder what the citizens of brands hatch think of the idea of suing a racing organization because they didn't make enough noise at the track.

Quieter race cars that are actually faster with the hybrid systems are a huge win for tracks facing battles with residents over noise. Especially where most of these tracks have licenses for a certain number of days over a certain noise level.

I wonder if some tracks could now hold F1 testing without using one of their loud days?
03-22-2014, 03:22 AM
Appeal set for April 14th. That's a long way from now...

http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/03/22/red-...confirmed/

Not bad for a No. 2 Driver
03-22-2014, 10:58 AM
Might we see Ricciardo's P2 points returned to him if the ruling pertains to 2014?

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
03-22-2014, 01:50 PM
(03-22-2014 10:58 AM)Neonzapper Wrote:  Might we see Ricciardo's P2 points returned to him if the ruling pertains to 2014?

don't hold your breath.
03-22-2014, 02:15 PM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2014 02:37 PM by Neonzapper.)
(03-22-2014 01:50 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  
(03-22-2014 10:58 AM)Neonzapper Wrote:  Might we see Ricciardo's P2 points returned to him if the ruling pertains to 2014?

don't hold your breath.
I don't know...Red Bull is the new Ferrari.
http://www.inautonews.com/ricciardo-hope...y3KGcvD_IU

[Image: 20o6xw.jpg]Flow gates remind me of Nascar's (air) restrictor plates.

03-22-2014, 02:31 PM
a) if they wanted to overturn the ruling, i would expect them to have this hearing much sooner, to reduce the shock of restoring those points.

b) overturning the ruling would completely destroy the fuel flow rule for this year, and they really don't want to lose that rule.
03-23-2014, 03:48 PM
What a shame for Ricciardo. His disqualification overshadowed the noise and nose issue, but only for one race.

As for the sound, it will probably be here for awhile. Constricting exhaust for a higher sound probably isn't in the cards. And, hideous noses are nothing new to F1 now, but isn't there a better way to ensure safety and keep the sexy aero design flow? I hope Bernie's replacement will bring that back to the sport.

03-23-2014, 04:52 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2014 04:53 PM by Neonzapper.)

03-30-2014, 06:36 AM
i'm surprised red bull brought vettel in to switch to the hard tires at the end of the malaysian gp. i thought they were going to just keep him on the softs, then insist that they measured the firmness of the compound of that particular set of tires with their own equipment and had concluded that it was as hard as the designated hard tires.
03-30-2014, 06:55 PM
With helmet and gloves still on, Alonso jumped out of his P4 and ran up to Vettel's P3 ride to carefully examine it. What was he curious about?