• 0 Votes - 0 Average
2014 Australian Grand Prix
03-11-2014, 12:41 PM
2014 Australian Grand Prix
Great preview of the Australian GP here:

http://grandprix247.com/2014/03/11/the-b...melbourne/

Albert Park Circuit Data:
- Length of lap: 5.303km
- Lap record 1:25.125 (Michael Schumacher, Ferrari, 2004)
- Start line/finish line offset: 0.000km
- Total number of race laps: 58
- Total race distance: 307.574km
- Pitlane speed limits: 60km/h in practice and 100km/h in qualifying and race

DRS Zones & Circuit Notes
- The kerb on the exit of Turn 12 has been levelled and renewed (with the same design of kerb).
- DRS sectors will be the same as those used in 2013. Activation One is 762m before Turn One, Activation Two is 510m before Turn Three. They share a single detection point, located 13m before Turn 14.

Lephturn

"Racing is life... everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in 'Le Mans'
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2014, 03:35 PM
RE: 2014 Australian Grand Prix
(03-11-2014 12:41 PM)Lephturn Wrote:  - Total race distance: 307.574km

That may be a problem for some, what they must be praying for is rain to keep those turbo's cool.

Blimey!!

[Image: mt5mpj.jpg]

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
03-13-2014, 05:59 PM
All that metric system confuses me.

GrandPrixWeekly.com's Fabulous, Fierce, Formula-1 Femme Fatale
---
Caution, curvy chicanes ahead.
----
http://www.zazzle.com/my/products/public...4739160534
Check out my F1 t-shirt designs for female F1 fans.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-14-2014, 02:08 AM (This post was last modified: 03-14-2014 02:59 AM by leonbray.)
P1 AGP

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1065]

Sounds like lawn mower racing, like when you blow up a balloon and let it go

Ron is in the pits

Cars lack front end grip

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
03-14-2014, 10:52 AM
(03-13-2014 05:59 PM)DesireeF1Weekly Wrote:  All that metric system confuses me.

[Image: tumblr_mz8ytgcsYJ1s6c1p2o1_1280.png]

Sorry Des.

"Woof Woof"
[Image: jkvnl4.jpg]
03-14-2014, 01:13 PM
(03-14-2014 02:08 AM)leonbray Wrote:  Sounds like lawn mower racing, like when you blow up a balloon and let it go

Yes - mainly the volume is down, but I actually love turbo whistle. Damon Hill said on Sky that it was a "modern, hi-tech" sound and I think he's probably right.

Are you at the track?

Regards,
Mark

"A man who took simple pleasure in making things work properly"
[Nigel Roebuck, writing of Bruce McLaren]

"Bruce McLaren was the best person I ever worked for. He was amazing"
[Howden Ganley, 12th September 2009]
03-14-2014, 01:34 PM
I very much like the new sound, although I've only heard it on TV and Radio. I hated the solund the high revving engines gave, sounded like model aircraft but too loud to actually hear.

I recall in the cosworth v8 days you could "feel" the sound, like you get from a muscle car. I am anticipating this from these cars.

03-14-2014, 02:31 PM
I watched a bit of free practice and I must say I was disappointed by the noise. But I don't necessarily think it's the engine. I don't think the TV was doing it justice.

"Woof Woof"
03-14-2014, 03:12 PM
Sounded OK on 5live as I drove into work. We will find out properly in July.

03-14-2014, 07:52 PM (This post was last modified: 03-14-2014 07:59 PM by leonbray.)
(03-14-2014 01:13 PM)drmarkf Wrote:  
(03-14-2014 02:08 AM)leonbray Wrote:  Sounds like lawn mower racing, like when you blow up a balloon and let it go

Yes - mainly the volume is down, but I actually love turbo whistle. Damon Hill said on Sky that it was a "modern, hi-tech" sound and I think he's probably right.

Are you at the track?

no - just TV. It's a bit like LeMans - listening to the vacuum cleaner sound of the Audi diesel vs a Corvette or Aston Martin. It would have been a lot more exciting with two turbos. A 458 Italia makes a better noise

Locator of Shruberies
03-14-2014, 07:53 PM
Watching the Grand Prix breakfast - they just had Jackie Stewart on in his green tartan trousers
03-14-2014, 09:57 PM
(03-14-2014 02:31 PM)trickydicky Wrote:  I watched a bit of free practice and I must say I was disappointed by the noise. But I don't necessarily think it's the engine. I don't think the TV was doing it justice.

Martin Brundle said the same and that they just need to change the way the pick up the sound for TV. I expect everything is set up based on last years louder engines and it will soon be fixed to account for the different volume of the new engines.
03-15-2014, 06:37 AM (This post was last modified: 03-15-2014 06:41 AM by Koala.)
Just finished watching my recording of practice. It is difficult to draw too many conclusion from Quali as it was rain affected.

Ricciardo did well in all sessions - I have been concerned if he was up to playng with the big boys up front but in difficult conditions he did well and certainly better than some of the big names. Vettel - it might be suggested that he was getting ready for a hot lap before Kim's off but Quali had not been going well for him and so there was no guarantee he would have done much better in the conditions. Ricciardo has tended to do relatively well in Quali in the past given the limitations of the Tori Rosso he was driving but not as well in races - I will be interested to see how he goes.

Red Bull seems to have overcome a lot of their problems - only time will tell if the engines are fragile when asked to run a full race distance. Horner's comments were interesting:

It was unlucky for Seb. His engine software meant he was down on power with extremely poor drivability and we need to understand that, as it compromised his qualifying, but we’re really pleased for Dan. The car’s good – our weakness is on the straights and in the wet you can’t go so fast on the straights, so we’ve got to work on that.

It would seem strange that Vettel would be running different engine software to what Ricciardo was running.

Tomorrows race is shaping up to being an interesting one
03-15-2014, 07:17 AM (This post was last modified: 03-15-2014 07:18 AM by leonbray.)
(03-15-2014 06:37 AM)Koala Wrote:  It would seem strange that Vettel would be running different engine software to what Ricciardo was running.

Just another example of Vettel getting the latest parts first.

how did Marko take the fact that the new Ozzie beat the vunder child

Locator of Shruberies
03-15-2014, 07:47 AM
Today was a great day to be a local fan at the track. The atmosphere was great during quali, even though most fans got a little damp from the rain.

When Vettel crossed the line and didn't make it in to Q2, the roar of excitement was deafening. When he drove into the pits and walked out of the garage, he walked into pit lane and consequently into the view of the main grandstand. That set off the chorus of boo's and shouts of "mutli-21".

When DanR was in provisional P1, we were all like Felipe's dad at Brazil in 2008. And just like Felipe's dad, LewHam stole the glory in the final seconds. But front row is still enough to make the locals very proud. It was a nice touch that every time Riccardo drove out of garage today, he got a huge cheer from the crowd. He's a genuinely nice young guy and hopefully good guys come first on race day. Just to clear any confusion, it's pronounced ree-car-doh (as in "dough"); there is no "ch" sound in any part of Daniel's surname.

As for the sound of the cars - what sound? They are so incredibly quiet. During practice starts on pit exit, I could hear the tyre spin. I've never heard anything other than screaming engines in the past. I'm sitting on the start/finish line in the same seats as previous years. The cars at full throttle and open DRS are quiet enough to not need any ear protection. The 2011 RB6 is at the track for a speed comparison against a V8Supercar and a C63AMG road car. The old 2011 V8 F1 car gives you the big thump in the chest, as does the V8Supercar. Today's F1 car is so quiet. The whistle of the turbo is cool, though. The turbos sound like a line trimmer. Just like I can hear the nylon line spinning at 15,000rpm in my trimmer, so too can you hear the turbo spinning frenetically.

Another good Saturday in Albert Park. Can't wait for Sunday.

(For those who don't know, this is a line trimmer

[Image: WomanWithStringTrimmer_225x334.ashx] )

Not bad for a No. 2 Driver
03-15-2014, 10:07 AM
I hadn't thought of the advantage of turbos - less noise so you aren't going to deafen unprotected ears. I went to Le Mans once and the difference between turbos and NA engines was surprising.
03-15-2014, 02:00 PM
(03-15-2014 07:47 AM)Original JB Wrote:  Just to clear any confusion, it's pronounced ree-car-doh (as in "dough"); there is no "ch" sound in any part of Daniel's surname.

i'm struggling with this. that's how he pronounces it, but does that automatically make it correct? i'm not so sure. it's clearly an italian name and he's not giving it an italian pronunciation. i think he's acknowledged this before. i'm inclined to say he's mispronouncing his own name, and if you want to say it correctly, you should not mimic how he says it.
03-15-2014, 02:28 PM (This post was last modified: 03-15-2014 02:33 PM by Yaaay.)
I take issue with that. It's the owner of a pronoun's right to pronounce (within reason) the pronoun however they wish.

Lots of them are not pronounced how they are written and in any case local accent and dialect come into effect.

Most Americans get my surname way out and the further south you go the more I get Peter being pronounced Peedar

Having said that, it is Ricciardo (extra I) which means I would say it Ricky-ardo. I am sure an Italian would say Richy -ardo. (I'll ask one). If Daniel wants to make the second I silent then that is up to him.

03-15-2014, 04:09 PM (This post was last modified: 03-15-2014 04:10 PM by trickydicky.)
In my view its up to Daniel to decide how his name is pronounced. There are so many factors that dictate interpretation of words. Take the UK, where variations in accents are such that words can sounds completely different. I don't consider the American pronunciation of Iraq to be correct.

regardless of interpretation, we should respect personal wishes

I do concede its a hard issue though.

How do we go about saying Kubica?

"Woof Woof"
03-15-2014, 04:40 PM (This post was last modified: 03-15-2014 04:41 PM by frankdouglason.)
my system for name pronunciation is two-step:
1) respect the pronunciation conventions of the language the name originates in.
2) apply the most-famous rule; the most famous person with that name determines its pronunciation.
should the two steps contradict, a case-by-case balancing (how far off of step 1 is it? how famous is the person?) is used to determine which holds.

for example, there's a family in my home town with the name pacino, but they pronounce it puh-SEE-no, rather than the way the famous actor pronounces it. they're technically more right by step 1, but al isn't very far off and he holds a huge margin of victory on step 2. puh-CHEE-no wins.

ricciardo is failing step 1. i think he's the victor of step 2, but he's not famous enough to be taking that many liberties. when his family decided to radically alter the pronunciation, they should have changed the spelling as well.

(03-15-2014 04:09 PM)trickydicky Wrote:  I don't consider the American pronunciation of Iraq to be correct.

seconded.
03-15-2014, 06:08 PM
(03-15-2014 02:28 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  I take issue with that. It's the owner of a pronoun's right to pronounce (within reason) the pronoun however they wish.

Lots of them are not pronounced how they are written and in any case local accent and dialect come into effect.

Most Americans get my surname way out and the further south you go the more I get Peter being pronounced Peedar

Having said that, it is Ricciardo (extra I) which means I would say it Ricky-ardo. I am sure an Italian would say Richy -ardo. (I'll ask one). If Daniel wants to make the second I silent then that is up to him.

I think an Italian would say Reechardo as the second I serves to make the c - or the two cs of you prefer - a ch sound. Having said that it's his name.
03-15-2014, 07:43 PM
Just seen that Lewis Hamilton is now the British driver with the most pole positions.

Still so young!

"Woof Woof"
03-15-2014, 08:17 PM (This post was last modified: 03-15-2014 08:19 PM by Koala.)
(03-15-2014 07:47 AM)Original JB Wrote:  The whistle of the turbo is cool, though. The turbos sound like a line trimmer. Just like I can hear the nylon line spinning at 15,000rpm in my trimmer, so too can you hear the turbo spinning frenetically.

I recall from my days at the Adelaide GP when they were using turbo engines as they accelerated out of the s bends you could hear this sort of sucking noise which I assume was the turbo getting going before an explosion of noise - has anyone seen comments comparing the sound of the previous turbo engines with the current ones - my recollection admittedly a long time ago was that the engine were still quite loud when on song if a little high pitched.

(03-15-2014 02:28 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  I take issue with that. It's the owner of a pronoun's right to pronounce (within reason) the pronoun however they wish.

I agree at the end of the day it is his surname and if he wants it pronounced in a certain way then it's his call
03-15-2014, 08:31 PM
so if someone with the last name "smith" just up and decided one day that it was pronounced with six syllables, one of which is whistle sound, then you'd go along with that?
03-15-2014, 08:44 PM
My family name is Luxury-Yatch but it's pronounced Throatwoblermangrove.

Ad Astra Per Audacia

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Canadian Grand Prix 2008 forza minardi 36 7,780 06-09-2008 11:14 AM
Last Post: trickydicky
  Predictions for the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa Francorchamps trickydicky 19 5,218 09-16-2007 02:41 PM
Last Post: trickydicky