Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Jacoby & Meyers visit Georgetown
02-25-2014, 04:33 PM
Jacoby & Meyers visit Georgetown
From RACER Magazine

The details are sparse, but one thing is clear: Panther Racing team owner John Barnes has filed a civil lawsuit against the parties involved with the loss and receipt of the team's Army National Guard sponsorship.

The suit, a civil tort filed on Feb. 19 in Indiana's Marion County, names Document and Packaging Brokers, Inc., Indy Racing League, LLC, Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing, LLC, and John Metzler as defendants.

Document and Packaging Brokers, Inc., aka Docupak, has served as the Army National Guard sponsorship account service provider on behalf of Laughlin, Marinaccio, and Owens, Inc. (LM&O Advertising) and, as the recent Government Accountability Office findings revealed, compiled the sponsorship bids provided by Panther, RLLR, and other teams into summaries that were then used by the Army National Guard to make its decision on where the sizeable contract would be awarded.

As the GAO report chronicled, Barnes made numerous overtures regarding improprieties he believed were made by Docupak, the IndyCar Series, RLLR and Metzler.

Metzler, a member of the Army National Guard Bureau, was an original player in the provision of Panther's sponsorship deal, and has been alleged as a backdoor facilitator of the Army National Guard sponsorship moving to Rahal's team.

With his appeal denied by the GAO and Army National Guard sponsorship released to RLLR (the GAO document detailing the denial of Panther Racing's protest regarding its National Guard sponsorship can be accessed on line at: http://1.usa.gov/1meflwv), Barnes has taken the next course of action by filing a tort – a legal mechanism to ask the court to find the defendants guilty of wrongdoing and to award a settlement – for an unspecified sum.

"That's the first I've heard of this," Rahal told RACER Tuesday morning. "I have not been notified by my lawyers whatsoever."

Added IndyCar President of Competiton and Operations Derrick Walker: "It is unfortunate that it is now a matter being litigated. We are pleased that the National Guard has decided to continue its involvement in IndyCar racing."

Barnes was reached via text, and RACER is awaiting a response to our inquiry.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-25-2014, 06:45 PM
RE: Jacoby & Meyers visit Georgetown
Does anyone else from outside the US find it curious that the National Guard (presumably a public service organisation) sponsors a professional motor racing team?

Theres a lot I don't understand there...

Regards,
Mark

"A man who took simple pleasure in making things work properly"
[Nigel Roebuck, writing of Bruce McLaren]

"Bruce McLaren was the best person I ever worked for. He was amazing"
[Howden Ganley, 12th September 2009]
Find all posts by this user
02-25-2014, 08:48 PM
why is that odd to you? they have a recruitment objective to reach and a marketing budget to help them reach it. why not sponsor a race car?
02-25-2014, 10:39 PM
[attachment=1060][attachment=1060][attachment=1059][attachment=1059]Theres a lot I don't understand there...
[/quote]

And here's Rahal's Red Bull Indy Car.

http://racer.com/index.php/indycar/item/...ahal_guard

National Guard/US Army sponsoring a car in NASCAR is very understandable. Indy cars??? What is amazing is the amount they were paying to sponsor one car; reportedly over 10m per year.

Sponsorship and litigation are part and parcel of Indy car racing. The company that brought IZOD into Indy cars ended up suing the series...and previous (IRL) sponsors Pep Boys were pissed-off when Tony George sent his Jacoby & Meyers after them.....

Katherine Legge wanted to slay the Dragon for terminating her contract.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-26-2014, 05:52 PM
It's obviously understandable in the USA and I do see how it would probably work, but it would be an absolute no-no in the UK.

There's just a completely different attitude to public service expenditure here, and to environmental issues - it would be castigated all over the front pages of the Daily Mail and Telegraph, and the politicos would bend over backwards to follow.

"Taxpayers money wasted on petrolhead jamboree" - I can see the headlines now.

Regards,
Mark

02-26-2014, 05:59 PM (This post was last modified: 02-26-2014 05:59 PM by frankdouglason.)
is the british military voluntary? if so, do they promote themselves in any way to encourage enlistment?
02-26-2014, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 02-26-2014 06:05 PM by drmarkf.)
(02-26-2014 05:59 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  is the british military voluntary? if so, do they promote themselves in any way to encourage enlistment?

Of course, but in Europe the issues are considered in a broader context and military recruitment is done in a very traditional and conventional way.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/Careers/Roya...al-Marines

Nice mud.

One could ask if motorsports is considered by Americans in any way relevant to military service, but I won't bother 'cos know our countries are approaching this from completely different paradigms Cool

Regards,
Mark

02-26-2014, 06:32 PM
I really don't know how we would react to a "conventional" approach to military recruitment. We do have TV ad's saying how cool it is to be in the armed forces but whether this would extend to sponsorship of a sports team I don't know. I don't see why not, but motorsport does not have a young peoples following over here and they are after teenagers.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
02-26-2014, 07:32 PM (This post was last modified: 02-26-2014 07:33 PM by frankdouglason.)
(02-26-2014 06:32 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  motorsport does not have a young peoples following over here.

that's a much stronger reason for them to stay out of motorsport sponsorship.
02-27-2014, 06:19 AM (This post was last modified: 02-27-2014 06:19 AM by drmarkf.)
They'd be OK sponsoring drifting.

Or anything featuring Mitsubishi Evos or Vauxhall Novas.

Regards,
Mark

02-27-2014, 08:04 PM
Must be a hard sell, the Army and the other services.

"Join the Army! Travel somewhere hot where half the population are trying to kill you! Come back dead or crippled! Spend the rest of your life with PTSD!"
No, that won't go well.
02-27-2014, 08:57 PM
(02-27-2014 08:04 PM)Cé hé sin Wrote:  Must be a hard sell, the Army and the other services.

"Join the Army! Travel somewhere hot where half the population are trying to kill you! Come back dead or crippled! Spend the rest of your life with PTSD!"
No, that won't go well.

don't forget the part where they have to wait years to get treatment for their injuries.
02-27-2014, 09:45 PM
Whatever the recruiting methods are, they work well. America has an all-volunteer military, and there is no shortage of those wanting to serve. Fortunately, technology is eliminating the need for humans in many dangerous settings.

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
02-27-2014, 10:54 PM
(02-27-2014 09:45 PM)Neonzapper Wrote:  Whatever the recruiting methods are, they work well. America has an all-volunteer military, and there is no shortage of those wanting to serve.

um, I don't think that's quite right. when iraq and afghanistan were both going full bore, we had stop loss programs and huge tour counts.
02-28-2014, 12:12 AM (This post was last modified: 02-28-2014 12:14 AM by Neonzapper.)
(02-27-2014 10:54 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  
(02-27-2014 09:45 PM)Neonzapper Wrote:  Whatever the recruiting methods are, they work well. America has an all-volunteer military, and there is no shortage of those wanting to serve.

um, I don't think that's quite right. when iraq and afghanistan were both going full bore, we had stop loss programs and huge tour counts.
Very true, but the service personnel knew of this possibility when they joined. While it isn't scientific, I have spoken to many military personnel who told me they couldn't wait to get back in action. I brought my Ferrari to Walter Reed for the Wounded Warriors car show and every one of the soldiers I spoke with- told me they wished they were back in action. Strange, but true.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
02-28-2014, 01:14 AM
certainly many of those who join find it fulfilling and want to stay there, but the stop loss program was created for a reason. i would also add that many soldiers say they want to get back in action out of loyalty to their brothers still there, and because combat changes your psyche and they can't function in ordinary society anymore. i certainly have no clue what the proportions are between those who honestly enjoy it and those who are psychologically coerced into feeling compelled, but it's a dangerous psychology for us civilians to sit at home and say "oh, they like it over there, trust me."
02-28-2014, 09:21 AM (This post was last modified: 02-28-2014 09:23 AM by leonbray.)
The military is a society - it is the social context that anyone serving understands and it is their normal society. They want to get back to action because of loyalty and because that is the job they trained for. Unfortunately there aren't many in "normal society" who understand the toll that military service takes, particularly when they appear to be abandoned by "normal society" after they have sacrificed and served their country for 20 years - with or without PTSD

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies