Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Daytona 24
01-26-2014, 12:15 PM
Daytona 24
Anyone else watching? Pretty decent coverage in the US until about 9pm last night, not sure about other countries.

It shifted to steaming-only coverage after 9, but the stream was really jumpy. I put up with the jumpy steam until about 10 and gave up. Back watching it early this morning. Pretty good race so far.

[Image: 6p7ymog.jpg]
Copyright - Royal Dutch Dicky Graphic Design
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2014, 01:13 PM
RE: Daytona 24
i watched the fox coverage yesterday. i don't get fox sports 2, and didn't bother with the stream, but i'm watching until the end now on fox sports 1. i'm mostly watching for the porsche north america team. it's too bad the rules makers gave the daytona prototypes such a huge advantage over the lmp2s.
01-26-2014, 05:08 PM
a convincing victory for porsche. the new north american factory team is 1 for 1.

i had many concerns about my favorite form of racing being taken over by a second-rate, nascar-owned competitor. now that the first race is over, my biggest concern is the officiating. it's been quite a mess. the regs were published far too late. the performance balancing of the prototypes was radically altered, again very late, to give one type of car a big advantage. a car was excluded from quali because it failed tech inspection, then reinstated. they used nascar-style full course cautions when local yellows would be sufficient, most notably when they wanted to bunch up the field 20 minutes from the end of a 24 hour race. they changed a class winner after the race for "avoidable contact" when it was a racing incident and the cars never actually touched. i can only hope they get their house in order.
01-26-2014, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2014 05:32 PM by Miguel.)
According to the media here, there was only one car on track and it was the Corvette nÂș 5. Apparently there were also two other drivers on the car, a brasilian and some french guy.

Ad Astra Per Audacia
01-26-2014, 07:53 PM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2014 07:58 PM by RBoulanger.)
(01-26-2014 05:08 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  they changed a class winner after the race for "avoidable contact" when it was a racing incident and the cars never actually touched. i can only hope they get their house in order.

Here's some video of the phantom "contact" that Frank is talking about.

http://blog.axisofoversteer.com/2014/01/...ri-of.html

I thought it was a good race with very strong depth throughout the field. 3 of the 4 classes were tight all the way to the end (on the same lap before some fortuitous caution timing).
The commentators were spot on about the lack of half-ass limping-around-and-putting-up-the-numbers efforts (although Patrick Dempsey was making minor errors every time I looked) clogging the track like American enduros of old.
The LMP2 cars got shafted... and never contended (and were also ignored by the TV coverage just as much as the LMPCs). I know this track was never going to suit them, but it they get steamrollered at Sebring too, we're going to need a big regs change or the teams will start to look at racing in Europe.
01-26-2014, 08:48 PM
and they have now rescinded the penalty and reinstated the ferrari as the winner. what a mess.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Rolex 24 hours at Daytona parrothead 14 4,999 02-01-2017 09:19 PM
Last Post: Nasir
  Rolex Daytona 24 hours - preseason racing fix DesireeF1Weekly 7 2,427 02-05-2009 03:16 PM
Last Post: MadManMotors
  Daytona 2008 GV27 7 2,688 01-29-2008 12:05 AM
Last Post: diamonddan
  daytona prototype diamonddan 7 2,461 05-02-2007 12:34 PM
Last Post: diamonddan
  24 Hours of Daytona and Ganassi's team ELCelica 8 3,410 01-29-2007 02:22 AM
Last Post: DesireeF1Weekly