Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Formula E...more like Formula D-Pressing (get it?)
01-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Formula E...more like Formula D-Pressing (get it?)
Will Buxton tweeted this video today. It just doesn't get me going...

http://youtu.be/Us2uA7IQDD0

[Image: 6p7ymog.jpg]
Copyright - Royal Dutch Dicky Graphic Design
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2014, 12:51 PM
RE: Formula E...more like Formula D-Pressing (get it?)
I'll reserve judgement until they are on a race track, cars like that in a confined space are rarely spectacular. The space that car had was never going to yield anything exciting unless it all went horribly wrong.
01-07-2014, 02:11 PM
I don't think it's the poor donuts, it's more the quiet engine and quiet crowd. I'll watch a race out of curiosity, but I don't see me getting carried away with it.

01-07-2014, 02:27 PM
i feel bad for the driver. what did they expect him to do with four square feet?
01-07-2014, 02:35 PM
(01-07-2014 02:11 PM)Jackson Wrote:  I don't think it's the poor donuts, it's more the quiet engine and quiet crowd. I'll watch a race out of curiosity, but I don't see me getting carried away with it.

The engines will be louder when they are wrung out, if not as load as an ICE engine. the IOM TT electric bikes are still not quiet and these motors are much bigger than the bike versions.

As for the crowd, what did they expect? It's new formula series doing a demo in a country that has little or no interest in open wheel racing. It was probably mostly curious tourists.

I think the biggest issues the series will face is that it will attract second string drivers with no opportunities elsewhere, nobody with talent and a budget will choose this series, it has no route to anything bigger. They need to get it integrated with something else that already draws a crowd to spark some interest.
01-07-2014, 03:55 PM
Even if it were a support series for something like Indycar, I can't imagine it would get a big response. I guess some drivers may see it as a stepping stone b/c they are out of options and just need a ride, but for the most part I would assume the drivers will be ready to move on as quickly as possible. The whole series seems gimmicky to me, but who knows, perhaps it will be interesting? Curious to see how sponsorships might work out. A lot of companies want to jump into something green, but I would imagine most marketing gurus will understand this will have a very small following.

01-07-2014, 03:57 PM
do any open wheel series other than f1 get a big response? i certainly don't pay any attention to any of them.
01-07-2014, 07:28 PM
We may as well get used to it, and we're not going to have an opt-out option for large-budget racing to stick with fossil fuels, so we should support these attempts to try out electrical powered systems. It's only by actually racing that the experience can be tailored to give decent entertainment.

At high speed a surprisingly high proportion of petrol powered vehicle sound comes from the gearbox and aero effects, so it may not be as difficult and depressing as the pessimists fear.

Regards,
Mark

"A man who took simple pleasure in making things work properly"
[Nigel Roebuck, writing of Bruce McLaren]

"Bruce McLaren was the best person I ever worked for. He was amazing"
[Howden Ganley, 12th September 2009]
01-07-2014, 08:13 PM
We only get 10% of the sound on TV, if that, and it's still watchable.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
01-07-2014, 09:00 PM
Although Lucas Di Grassi did an excellent job working with what he had, I think Formula E deserves more explanation than this video provides. First of all, this car is running in a confined space, so in this demonstration, the 8 kwh battery is only putting out 1/4 speed and torque of the actual Formula E racing battery speed. The Formula E cars will hit in excess of 150 mph. Secondly, Formula E is supported through design by some well-known F1 teams- The chassis is by Dallara. The battery design is by Willams. The powertrain and electronics are by McLaren. The overall system integration is by Renault. The tires are Michelin.

And, c'mon frank...Indy 500 racing may not be NASCAR, but it is as hot in the United States as cheese steaks in Philadelphia Smile and so far- hotter than F1 (here).

Since Green technology is being heavily taught in our school system, look for this up and coming generation of kids to get behind this new racing class.

Miami and Los Angeles will debut Formula E in the Spring of 2015.

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
01-07-2014, 09:22 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2014 09:24 PM by frankdouglason.)
(01-07-2014 09:00 PM)Neonzapper Wrote:  c'mon frank...Indy 500 racing may not be NASCAR, but it is as hot in the United States as cheese steaks in Philadelphia Smile

don't make me laugh. do they still have a polo shirt as a title sponsor?

i think my last post was misinterpreted, though. i actually wasn't saying it as a negative. i was questioning the idea that fan count or fan engagement is important. i was saying that we have all these other series that nobody watches, so why not another?
(01-07-2014 09:00 PM)Neonzapper Wrote:  The Formula E cars will hit in excess of 150 mph.

where does that place them among other open wheel series? how fast do gp2 or formula 3 or formula renault or formula vee or a1gp or whatever go?
01-08-2014, 08:51 AM
Having a plethora of choices among types of open-wheel racing available around the world could be redundantly disinteresting to some. For many, it is a way to watch the skill of young drivers who might be future F1 Pilots.

I think the all-electric aspect is unique, because it puts racing in the forefront of electric vehicle development. Having strong influence from existing F1 teams doesn't hinder the interest. Being able to achieve a speed of at least 150 mph simply verifies FE as a contender in the racing game.

It's not F1, but I'm still giving it a follow.

01-08-2014, 09:27 AM
Looks like I was right about drivers, confirmed so far:

Marco Andretti
Sebastian Buemi
Karun Chandhok
Lucas de Grassi
Ma Qing Hua
Vitantonio Liuzi
Takuma Sato
Adrien Tambay

It's like the scrap heap of F1. At least they are top flight drivers for the most part I guess, although I seem to remember Ma Quin Hua being an incredibly slow pay Friday tester for someone.
01-08-2014, 09:39 AM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2014 09:44 AM by Neonzapper.)
...but a sport hero in China

[Image: 2vtnkme.jpg]

01-08-2014, 10:50 AM
(01-08-2014 09:39 AM)Neonzapper Wrote:  ...but a sport hero in China

which makes perfect marketing sense.

I'm sure having Dicaprio involved will help as well. Hopefully the racing is good and they get some decent TV coverage as well.

It would be nice to see some young drivers involved rather than just those that have had their shot and not made the grade. It might be a good opportunity to show some drivers up and grab some attention.
01-08-2014, 10:56 AM
I do like seeing the name 'Super Aguri' again.

01-09-2014, 04:51 PM
Formula E is going to be marketed completely differently than F1, Indycar, etc.
There's a lot of technology money that wants to be a part of something like this.
And by going for a city street circuit lineup, it should hook plenty of new fans who have never been to a race track before.

And Neonzapper is right - it's got proper technical people behind it building proper race cars.
Should be able to take that gap in the driver market that A1GP used to fill for recent F1 recjects and GP2/GP2/World Series by Renault drivers who can't afford to be a seat at the back of the F1 grid.
01-09-2014, 05:03 PM
(01-09-2014 04:51 PM)RBoulanger Wrote:  Formula E is going to be marketed completely differently than F1, Indycar, etc.
There's a lot of technology money that wants to be a part of something like this.
And by going for a city street circuit lineup, it should hook plenty of new fans who have never been to a race track before.

And Neonzapper is right - it's got proper technical people behind it building proper race cars.
Should be able to take that gap in the driver market that A1GP used to fill for recent F1 recjects and GP2/GP2/World Series by Renault drivers who can't afford to be a seat at the back of the F1 grid.

I just hope the city street circuit don't spoil the racing, although with some of those drivers it should guarantee some crashes, which is probably enough to class it as exciting for some new fans.
01-09-2014, 10:41 PM
Looks like the schedule is going to be in the off season for the most part (just like A1GP), so maybe it will be a little something to get us through this time of year.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sad News from Formula 4 Jackson 1 123 04-20-2017 12:05 AM
Last Post: Nasir
  Formula E 2018 Concept leonbray 10 396 02-25-2017 07:56 PM
Last Post: Yaaay
  Formula E introduce Autonomous Racing Series leonbray 12 1,164 12-03-2015 12:17 AM
Last Post: Neonzapper
  London Formula E Yaaay 14 1,401 07-02-2015 10:27 AM
Last Post: chemics
  Formula E kick off Yaaay 29 2,207 04-06-2015 01:59 PM
Last Post: frankdouglason