Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Who should run F1 after Bernie-thoughts?
12-27-2013, 10:43 PM
Who should run F1 after Bernie-thoughts?
From Autosport today...No single man can replace Ecclestone as F1 boss - Ferrari
By Jonathan Noble Friday, December 27th 2013, 17:33 GMT

Bernie Ecclestone F1

Formula 1's owners should prepare for a totally new way of running the sport after commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone steps down from his role, reckons Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo.

Rather than being replaced by a single individual, di Montezemolo thinks F1 should be run by a group of experts that can help ensure grand prix racing maintains its popularity.

Why Ross Brawn should run F1

"I think after Bernie, who is unique, it is necessary to approach a different governance for the sport," said di Montezemolo during a lunch with media at Fiorano.

"Bernie is Bernie, with a lot of pluses and even some minuses as all of us.

"I hope for him that he can stay there for a long time, for this is not a today [only] problem.

"We have to discuss this [Ecclestone's succession plan] because at the end of the day this is our business.

"It is not a question of after Bernie you put a Rob, a Jon, or a Mario - it is a question how to approach it. You have to approach commercial problems, TV rights, and where to race?"

Although di Montezemolo believes Ecclestone has done a lot of expand F1, he questioned the value of racing in places where there is little fan interest, and asked whether or not the racing is now too complicated to keep audiences engaged.

"I am tired to go to races in nowhere where there is no public," he said.

"What kind of relation do we have with the public?

"For some years we have talked about new technology, and what we can do to improve the show, but there is no question the young boys love cars and F1 less.

Why Future Kid won't care about F1

"One of the reasons, but not the only one, is that the races are becoming too complicated to follow.

Ferrari F1 2013

"We have to work with the media, television, radio, written press and the Internet to find out what is the right way.

"While Bernie is here, Bernie knows. He is intelligent, but sometimes he is too conservative.

"But he is Bernie, and I will never accept that instead of Bernie we find one man, Luca di Montezemolo, or someone else.

"We have to create a group of governance where you have a CEO and then one in charge of motor racing, but motor racing does not mean rules, it means a lot of different voices."

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-28-2013, 12:46 AM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2013 12:47 AM by frankdouglason.)
RE: Who should run F1 after Bernie-thoughts?
that's a terrible headline. bernie is not the "f1 boss." there is no f1 boss. it's already run by many different people. bernie only handles the commercial deals on behalf of the series.

i don't like the idea of replacing him with a committee. it's a job that needs executive authority to function. i could see them splitting the job up into a few different jobs, with separate spheres of authority, though.

i'd be looking for someone who thinks good tracks are more important than old tracks, which are more important than tracks near lots of people, which are more important than tracks with lots of government money to throw around. also someone who embraces new technology when distributing the broadcast to the public. i don't know who that is though.
12-28-2013, 12:37 PM
(12-28-2013 12:46 AM)frankdouglason Wrote:  that's a terrible headline. bernie is not the "f1 boss." there is no f1 boss. it's already run by many different people. bernie only handles the commercial deals on behalf of the series.
ahahahah, and you also believe in Santa?SmileTongueCool

Ad Astra Per Audacia
12-28-2013, 02:35 PM
you're right, i should rephrase. bernie is only entitled to handle commercial deals on behalf of the series. any other authority he has is abdicated to him by others who should be doing it themselves.

but even with all his assumed power, he's not the boss of f1. he doesn't oversee the fia. he doesn't manage the teams.
12-28-2013, 03:06 PM
(12-28-2013 02:35 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  he's not the boss of f1. he doesn't oversee the fia. he doesn't manage the teams.

Of course he does! Remember the golden rule: whoever has the gold makes the rules.
Since 1978, how often did Bernie get what he wanted vs how often did FIA get what it wanted vs anybody else you care to name?
Bernie has shaped F1 as he saw fit and has been savy enough to spread just the right amount of money to stay in power while making himself one of the wealthiest men in the world. He doesn't need to manage the teams. The teams know that their bread is better buttered on Bernie's side.
Of course the revolving doors incident may have changed the whole framework of the problem.

Ad Astra Per Audacia
12-28-2013, 04:07 PM
now who's the one who believes in santa claus?

i know it's a lot simpler to just pretend that one person does everything, but it's delusional. it's the same thinking as people buying it's the "drivers' championship" as if the drivers are more than fringe contributors to the car's pace. we get it even worse in politics, with people giving credit/blame for everything to the president or prime minister. life is more complicated than that.

bernie is not the emperor of formula 1. is he powerful? yes. is he the most powerful person in f1? maybe. does he run f1 himself? not even close.
12-28-2013, 05:14 PM
(12-28-2013 04:07 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  is he the most powerful person in f1? maybe. does he run f1 himself? not even close.
I guess we give different means to the word "run". A CEO runs a company and has the final word on any issue. That does not mean he has to be aware of, approve or do every single action in the company (although some seem to want to)

Ad Astra Per Audacia
12-28-2013, 07:07 PM
(12-28-2013 05:14 PM)Miguel Wrote:  A CEO runs a company and has the final word on any issue.

yes exactly. bernie does not have final word on every issue in f1. there are many things that are outside of his control.

if i was neonzapper, i'd be rather miffed that the thread has been so quickly hijacked, though, so let's let it go.

who should run the commercial rights of f1 after bernie?
12-28-2013, 07:15 PM
(12-28-2013 07:07 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  
(12-28-2013 05:14 PM)Miguel Wrote:  A CEO runs a company and has the final word on any issue.

if i was neonzapper, i'd be rather miffed that the thread has been so quickly hijacked, though, so let's let it go.
Thread Hijacking is SOP in the forum, we all expect it to happen, it's a sign the universe is ticking in cosmic order.
Now we just need someone to mention Danica.

Ad Astra Per Audacia
12-28-2013, 07:57 PM
Don't mention Danica, I did once, it didn't turn out well.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
12-29-2013, 12:52 AM
That's it? After 10 posts, the consensus is for the Go Daddy girl to replace Bernie? Well, yeah- I was thinking the same thing, actually.

01-02-2014, 02:08 PM
(12-29-2013 12:52 AM)Neonzapper Wrote:  That's it? After 10 posts, the consensus is for the Go Daddy girl to replace Bernie? Well, yeah- I was thinking the same thing, actually.

Careful or someone will mention Flavio....
01-02-2014, 07:23 PM
(01-02-2014 02:08 PM)chemics Wrote:  Careful or someone will mention Flavio....
mention? no problem. picture? I've said too much.

01-02-2014, 10:34 PM
flavio doesn't have any more time on his clock than bernie. that wouldn't work.
01-03-2014, 12:57 AM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2014 12:57 AM by leonbray.)
I'll do - free tickets and travel to all GPs plus top class dining and let the lawyers handle all the crap. How hard could it be. Pretty sure I could wrangle seats on the jet and passes to the events for forum members

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
01-03-2014, 02:03 AM
It always amazes me that people are concerned about F1 with no Bernie.

Basically Bernie made himself rich out of F1 and now you have a complex expensive form of racing that often produces quite boring racing with fairly predictable results where we hope for rain to see an interesting race.

Di Montezemolo's comments show he acknowledges the problems.

I am not saying F1 did not have problems when Bernie took over but there are a lot of sports that have overcome problems though good management - it is quite possible that if F1 has been managed by team owners, a motor sport group or another CEO that did not want to line his pockets then F1 would be far more advanced than it is today by having access to far more of the funds the sport generates than it is now and likely own it's rights rather than have them owned by various companies.

What is Bernie's legacy - a sport that needs to revitalise itself to compete better in the modern sports market, a sport that is dominated by a few wealthy teams with a bunch of impoverished ones making up the numbers and struggling to field competitive cars, a motor sport where the racing is often processional, a sport that is owned mostly by a bunch of tax haven based investment companies. Not what I would call a great legacy or a position that a major worldwide sport should find itself in.

Bernie's going might cause problems for F1 but mainly because it will focus the issue of ownership and competing vested interests i.e. those of the sport and teams involved and those that own the sport i.e. the investment companies. One would think that they would have a common vested interest in making sure the sport thrives and their investment survives but history is littered with examples where competing vested interests don't work out for mutual benefit
01-03-2014, 08:26 AM
Good insight, Koala!

01-03-2014, 10:08 AM
(01-02-2014 10:34 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  flavio doesn't have any more time on his clock than bernie. that wouldn't work.

I didn't mean for Flavio to replace Bernie, I just means the mankini pic might resurface.
03-05-2014, 12:24 AM
London (AFP) - Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has revealed he is looking for someone to succeed him at the head of the sport, as he prepares to face bribery charges in Germany.

The 83-year-old British businessman is due to go on trial in Munich on April 24 to face allegations that he bribed a German banker during discussions over the sale of F1 championship rights in 2006.

"I've been spending time on this case, and to spend time on Munich I am not able to give what I normally would do, 24/7, to the business," he told Tuesday's edition of British newspaper the Financial Times.

"I've been looking, over the last few years, for somebody who can join me to assist with what I have to do. I will eventually be in a position, if I decide to retire -- or unfortunately become dead -- to have someone to step into my shoes."

Ecclestone was charged last July in relation to a $44 million (32 million euros) payment he made to former German banker Gerhard Gribkowsky, which was linked to the sale of F1 championship rights in 2006.

Gribkowsky was jailed in 2012 for eight and a half years for taking an illegal payment when the rights were sold.

Ecclestone has denied wrongdoing and claimed he was blackmailed by Gribkowsky, who had allegedly threatened to report the F1 commercial boss to the British tax authorities.

Ecclestone stood down from several directorial positions on companies related to F1 in January, but announced that he would continue to run the business on a day-to-day basis.

03-05-2014, 01:12 AM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2014 01:13 AM by frankdouglason.)
(03-05-2014 12:24 AM)Neonzapper Wrote:  Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has revealed he is looking for someone to succeed him at the head of the sport

"I've been looking, over the last few years, for somebody who can join me to assist with what I have to do. I will eventually be in a position, if I decide to retire -- or unfortunately become dead -- to have someone to step into my shoes."

*raises hand*
03-05-2014, 08:23 AM
You get my vote, squire.

Regards,
Mark

"A man who took simple pleasure in making things work properly"
[Nigel Roebuck, writing of Bruce McLaren]

"Bruce McLaren was the best person I ever worked for. He was amazing"
[Howden Ganley, 12th September 2009]
03-05-2014, 02:09 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2014 02:10 PM by trickydicky.)
The key problem is people are scared of change. Formula One makes a lot of money and who wants to ruin the party? Bernie and his friends do enough to keep F1 entertaining but very little to push it further.

I'm wary of what people like Di Montezemolo say. I'm of the opinion that everybody is working together on this one. Its a inside job. The top echelon of F1 staff are all very friendly. The FIA, the teams, FOM etc etc are too close. It's all corrupt.

I, unlike others on this forum, do not have a massive problem with Bernie. I don't think his retirement is going to change anything.

Think of Bernie as a more pleasant version of Robert Mugabe (he's 90). Bernie took control of F1 and made some big changes, receiving a lot of popular support from the fans. But like a lot of ageing dictators, the appeal of power is too much. He can't let go, he has enough support to carry on, and his closest allies hold all the major positions of power. In reality those individuals that seem to represent change actually represent consistency.

"Woof Woof"
[Image: jkvnl4.jpg]
03-13-2015, 12:43 AM (This post was last modified: 03-13-2015 12:53 AM by Neonzapper.)
How do you feel about "subscribing" to http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en.html ?

We are allowed to view the Beta website for a few more weeks, but noticed Sebastian Vettel is listed with Red Bull. Very Beta indeed!

Good luck with this, Bernie. I don't see it working out for you.

03-13-2015, 08:36 AM
(03-13-2015 12:43 AM)Neonzapper Wrote:  How do you feel about "subscribing" to http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en.html ?

We are allowed to view the Beta website for a few more weeks, but noticed Sebastian Vettel is listed with Red Bull. Very Beta indeed!

Good luck with this, Bernie. I don't see it working out for you.

It's not listing Vettel at Red Bull, it's still showing last years points until the result of this weekends race.

It would have to be some very premium content to get people paying considering how much is out there for free. Autosport already drove me elsewhere away with it's pay model.

I wish there was a pay model like MotoGP for the coverage with live coverage of every session and on-demand afterwards. They also have what have been deemed the classic races from the history of the sport on demand as well. There is also a premium version that allows more camera angles and gives you some choices, such as picking the on bike footage from your favourite rider. I pay 99Euors a year for that and get all 3 classes that race. I'm sure F1 could charge at least that, or more and get a magnitude more subscribers.
03-13-2015, 09:53 PM
Well, it was inevitable I guess. Now, YouTube is loaded with commercials, and some magazine-type websites have ads in the form of short videos- spontaneously covering the page you were reading (I try to read those quickly). I don't mind it though. I just wish F1 were doing better here in the states. Having a pay site may not be a popular idea at the moment.