Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Rules
12-11-2013, 08:55 AM
RE: New Rules
I would not bet against these rules being touted around as a bargaining chip for some other reason, a bit like the medals system, 22 races, sprinklers and overtaking lanes.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2013, 10:40 AM
(12-09-2013 09:07 PM)trickydicky Wrote:  I don't like double points.

At least some aspect of it should be more challenging. Does any other sports do this? You know in ten years time we will have select few 'premiere' Grand prix that are all worth more points then other races.

I can't believe Bernie would think this is a good idea??

Its going to taint so many championships

The British Superbike Championship has a silly points system to avoid a situation where one rider won the championship with something like 3 rounds left before the season was finished.

Now after 3/4 of the championship the top 6 riders all move to 500 points plus podium points for results to that point (3 for a win, 2 for second etc). Then all other points are as normal from there, so basically only the top 6 can win the title, but they are all close in points for the last 3 rounds (7 races). It makes the title close, it has been decided on the last lap of the last race in the past 2 seasons, but it is too artificial.
12-11-2013, 02:21 PM
that sounds like nascar's chase for the championship. which came first?
12-11-2013, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2013 03:52 PM by chemics.)
(12-11-2013 02:21 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  that sounds like nascar's chase for the championship. which came first?

NASCAR I think, "The Shootout" has only been going for about 4 or 5 years. It has been completely unnecessary to keep things close since its inception. What typically happens is the best 3 or 4 qualify for it early and then stop taking risks until the final part of the season while others scrap for every last point to qualify, then the last 3 races are complete madness as the season almost resets for the top 6.

The two seasons the title went to the last lap of the last race did make very good viewing for TV though.

In terms of pleasing the rabble it must be working, the BSB championship now has a better TV deal in USA than the AMA which is equivalent. It is also starting to attract more international riders as it's prestige grows which is making it the route most are taking to then move up to the World Championship.
12-11-2013, 08:02 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2013 08:05 PM by leonbray.)
[Image: NewRegs2014v3.jpg]

Like rule 14

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
12-20-2013, 06:56 PM

Ad Astra Per Audacia
12-20-2013, 07:15 PM
They are speaking English, I don't need subtitles in English.

12-20-2013, 07:30 PM

Ad Astra Per Audacia
12-21-2013, 06:06 PM
LdM said the double points rule could be scrapped, however Ferrari didn't veto it...

http://www.pitpass.com/50665/Montezemolo...be-dropped

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
12-27-2013, 10:46 PM (This post was last modified: 12-27-2013 10:51 PM by Neonzapper.)
Martin Brundle explains the 2014 rule changes (part 1):

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/22058/...-explained

(and part 2): http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/22058/...d-part-two

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
12-28-2013, 05:21 AM
Thanks for posting those, very thought provoking.

2014's going to be much more interesting than 2013, if for no other reasons than the unpredictability of where everyone will start, and the differing rates of team technical development during the season.

I've heard diametrically opposing views of the likely impact on the car sounds - not everyone agrees with MB for example that high performance electric engines & drive trains will necessarily sound bad.

Regards,
Mark

"A man who took simple pleasure in making things work properly"
[Nigel Roebuck, writing of Bruce McLaren]

"Bruce McLaren was the best person I ever worked for. He was amazing"
[Howden Ganley, 12th September 2009]
01-02-2014, 02:33 PM
(12-28-2013 05:21 AM)drmarkf Wrote:  Thanks for posting those, very thought provoking.

2014's going to be much more interesting than 2013, if for no other reasons than the unpredictability of where everyone will start, and the differing rates of team technical development during the season.

I've heard diametrically opposing views of the likely impact on the car sounds - not everyone agrees with MB for example that high performance electric engines & drive trains will necessarily sound bad.

It will be interesting to see if a smaller team can pull something out of the bag or if it will all come down to budget and resources as to who starts the season with the best car. With so much new technology I suspect the days of a small team finding an edge at the beginning of the year are gone and instead they will be struggling all year to get everything working while the big teams surge ahead with development.
01-12-2014, 03:16 PM
one thing that i haven't heard much talk about, but seems quite significant to me, is that they're not allowed to change gear ratios from race to race anymore. they have to use the same 8 ratios at monaco and monza. i'd think that would make the cars much slower, since their gearboxes will always be in a state of compromise.

granted, this season, they're allowed one change, but they can't change back (so it doesn't allow for a special set for an extreme track), and it's this year only.
01-12-2014, 04:00 PM
I read with the electric motors giving more and continuous power input in the form to torque the gears are less significant, also there is 8 gears. I believe that in 10 years most cars will have CVT and this is where we are heading.

01-12-2014, 06:41 PM
the shift from 7 gears to 8 doesn't seem significant to me. definitely diminishing returns as they continue to add gears.

i'm not sure i quite follow how increased torque makes changing gear ratios unnecessary. are you saying that they can run monza-style long gears at monaco without penalty because they have enough torque to pull from lower revs?
01-12-2014, 07:04 PM
Yes, the internal combustion engine has a very narrow range of revs where it produces maximum torque. The electric motor however has a very wide range. 8 gears means they can keep the revs within that band a bit more but the electric motor will fill in the gaps more significantly this year.

01-12-2014, 08:50 PM
it's still inefficient. the teams would surely choose ratios that better fit the track if they could. more anti-technology, anti-performance. i don't like it.
01-13-2014, 09:11 AM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2014 09:13 AM by chemics.)
(01-12-2014 08:50 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  it's still inefficient. the teams would surely choose ratios that better fit the track if they could. more anti-technology, anti-performance. i don't like it.

I think I'd prefer it if they made them stick with a set of ratios per gearbox rather than the whole season, then at least they have 5 options. It still adds another potential area for a team to get it right/wrong. Or even for the balance to shift from one weekend to the next. I'm not sure I like it, but it could be interesting.
(01-12-2014 07:04 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  Yes, the internal combustion engine has a very narrow range of revs where it produces maximum torque. The electric motor however has a very wide range. 8 gears means they can keep the revs within that band a bit more but the electric motor will fill in the gaps more significantly this year.

Do you know if the Turbo engines are likely to have a broader spread of torque as well? That may be a consequence of the lower rev limit and the change in engines anyway.
01-13-2014, 11:45 AM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2014 11:45 AM by Yaaay.)
I'm not sure but I think turbo engines in general have an even narrower torque curve.

01-13-2014, 01:56 PM
I read somewhere an engineer for Force India saying that the simulators show that at Monaco there will be 2 or 3 gears that they never use because they would barely be getting into 6th gear coming out of the tunnel.

Also heard a rumor that the engine management might shut off allowing the cars to be on electric power only as they cruise through the slowest corners like Ste Devote. It makes sense from a fuel economy standpoint (but would sound terrible), but then again Monaco is always the track where fuel economy matters the least. I seem to remember Mika Salo in a Tyrrell skipping refueling to get into the points one time.
01-13-2014, 02:24 PM
(01-13-2014 01:56 PM)RBoulanger Wrote:  I read somewhere an engineer for Force India saying that the simulators show that at Monaco there will be 2 or 3 gears that they never use because they would barely be getting into 6th gear coming out of the tunnel.

Also heard a rumor that the engine management might shut off allowing the cars to be on electric power only as they cruise through the slowest corners like Ste Devote. It makes sense from a fuel economy standpoint (but would sound terrible), but then again Monaco is always the track where fuel economy matters the least. I seem to remember Mika Salo in a Tyrrell skipping refueling to get into the points one time.

It doesn't matter if it matters least, the fuel limit is a maximum not a set amount to start the race with (as far as I know), if they can shut off and save some they will just put less in at the start to gain the biggest weight advantage possible.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Montezemolo - 2013 engine rules suck leonbray 35 8,423 01-09-2011 04:32 PM
Last Post: drmarkf
  2011 rules chemics 21 4,803 12-17-2010 12:50 PM
Last Post: chemics
  Miscellaneous new rules for 2010 Yaaay 7 1,562 02-12-2010 09:03 PM
Last Post: Miguel
  Teams demand FIA ditch 2010 rules Yaaay 10 2,024 05-26-2009 06:46 AM
Last Post: Koala