New Rules
http://www.fia.com/formula-one-regulation-changes

How silly is double points?

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2013, 03:41 PM
RE: New Rules
ugh. i hate that double points race so much. just another step down the path from sport to entertainment. it's getting really hard to take f1 seriously. tv ratings are officially more important than fair competition. i honestly never thought it would get this far.
12-09-2013, 05:45 PM
Definitely against the double points idea
12-09-2013, 06:04 PM
B'jesus!

Why do we need so many fiddling complications? Let's just go for pattern centre sections on front and rear wings (as suggested by Gary Anderson - brilliant - listen to the latest Motorsport podcast) and we could do away with DRS and daft tyre rules at a stroke and there would still be plenty of room for adverts on the flat surfaces.

Anyway, to take people's minds off it, here's a link to the Hunt F1 family website, who are offering 30% off jolly spiffing kit that will remind us all of a simpler time:

http://us3.campaign-archive2.com/?u=bac4...66988ebd91

Regards,
Mark

"A man who took simple pleasure in making things work properly"
[Nigel Roebuck, writing of Bruce McLaren]

"Bruce McLaren was the best person I ever worked for. He was amazing"
[Howden Ganley, 12th September 2009]
12-09-2013, 08:36 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2013 08:38 PM by Miguel.)
(12-09-2013 03:41 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  ugh. i hate that double points race so much.

Hear, hear!
I suggest a massive twit campaign against in F1's feed https://twitter.com/F1

Ad Astra Per Audacia
12-09-2013, 09:07 PM
I don't like double points.

At least some aspect of it should be more challenging. Does any other sports do this? You know in ten years time we will have select few 'premiere' Grand prix that are all worth more points then other races.

I can't believe Bernie would think this is a good idea??

Its going to taint so many championships

"Woof Woof"
[Image: jkvnl4.jpg]
12-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Agreed.. double points is just another dumb gimmick. How about dump qualifying.. just line up in reverse order of the current points/standings? That will put the foxes among the hens.

Or allow DRS only until the driver gets within a second of the driver ahead? Hey.. that might make sense...

Driver numbers? So, what happens when a driver retires? Does he take his number with him? And where will the number be displayed? Does this mean there will be no more car numbers, just the driver numbers?

Not that it matters.. can't see the damn numbers on the cars anyway.

Madness has its toll.  Please have exact change.
12-09-2013, 09:41 PM
I think qualifying should involve points. Top 5 positions get points?

I don't like saying this but sometimes us veterans have to rely on Ferrari to stand up to the FIA with these stupid ideas. What does luca montezemolo think?

"Woof Woof"
12-09-2013, 10:29 PM
bernie is the one who wanted to do medals and award the championship based on number of wins, so don't expect any rationality or conservatism from him.

reverse grids sound like fun until you think about all the top cars getting caught up in all the backmarkers' wrecks at the start.

i don't like the idea of qualifying carrying points. this whole idea that qualifying should be a show is a recent invention. it's actually only supposed to serve the simple function of making it possible to start the race safely without accusations of bias.
12-09-2013, 10:36 PM

[Image: 6p7ymog.jpg]
Copyright - Royal Dutch Dicky Graphic Design
12-10-2013, 05:26 AM
Interesting summary of the changes in the youtube video - I had missed the potential impact of the ERS - Red Bull had a lot of trouble getting their KERS functional and reliable - I wonder if they will have the same problem with ERS
12-10-2013, 09:14 AM
Would anyone dare to pick 27?

Who's going to take 69?

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
12-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Ferrari should have rights to 27 and 28

"Woof Woof"
12-10-2013, 01:05 PM
(12-10-2013 09:14 AM)Yaaay Wrote:  Would anyone dare to pick 27?

can you explain that?
12-10-2013, 01:31 PM
Gilles Villeneuve number

Ad Astra Per Audacia
12-10-2013, 04:09 PM
I suppose it might be nice for relatives to pass down numbers.

Has Villeneuve got any kids?

"Woof Woof"
12-10-2013, 07:28 PM
(12-10-2013 01:31 PM)Miguel Wrote:  Gilles Villeneuve number

and Allan Jones

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
12-10-2013, 08:55 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2013 08:56 PM by Koala.)
Is the "number" obsession a purely US phenomenon it doesn't happen to any degree down here
12-10-2013, 09:41 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2013 09:53 PM by trickydicky.)
What do you mean by number obsession?
Shall we discuss the implications of the points changes?

Doubling the points for the season's last race. must have serious implications. It will encourage teams to develop the car throughout the season. Fourth place at Abu Dhabi is worth only one point less than victory at other races. It could have huge implications for mid-field teams where the points margins are normally very marginal. It will also distort inter-team battles. Imagine if one driver had outperformed another ALL season, yet in the final race the tables were turned. Teams are also going to focus their technical approach to suit the needs of the Abu Dhabi track.

In some ways we are lucky its in Abu Dhabi. Imagine if it was at Brazil - where a rain shower could completely distort the finishing order.

I just think the whole plan detracts from the efforts of race drivers. Anyone who has a crash in Abu Dhabi is at such a massive disadvantage.

Here is some interesting sporting reaction

Twitter Feed Reaction from pundits (Click)

"Woof Woof"
12-10-2013, 10:13 PM
(12-10-2013 09:41 PM)trickydicky Wrote:  What do you mean by number obsession?
Shall we discuss the implications of the points changes?

Doubling the points for the season's last race. must have serious implications. It will encourage teams to develop the car throughout the season. Fourth place at Abu Dhabi is worth only one point less than victory at other races. It could have huge implications for mid-field teams where the points margins are normally very marginal. It will also distort inter-team battles. Imagine if one driver had outperformed another ALL season, yet in the final race the tables were turned. Teams are also going to focus their technical approach to suit the needs of the Abu Dhabi track.

In some ways we are lucky its in Abu Dhabi. Imagine if it was at Brazil - where a rain shower could completely distort the finishing order.

I just think the whole plan detracts from the efforts of race drivers. Anyone who has a crash in Abu Dhabi is at such a massive disadvantage.

Here is some interesting sporting reaction

Twitter Feed Reaction from pundits (Click)

I mean the system which seems to me to be a US thing were players choose a number to play under or in some cases from what I have read numbers are reserved for particular athlete who have excelled in the sport.

Here for Rugby League & Rugby Union (not sure about soccer but assume it is the same) the number a player wears is dictated by the position they play - for example a fullback in Rugby League wears No 1.
12-10-2013, 10:57 PM
Well I know in the UK that rugby numbers are based on positions played.

Football (Soccer) is largely the same but there is some room for maneuver in the sense that numbers can be retired and some players have high numbers like 62 (which has no significance).

But unless someone corrects me, I would say the number thing is an American phenomenon

"Woof Woof"
12-11-2013, 01:02 AM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2013 06:12 AM by frankdouglason.)
it's very common here. a lot of athletes get emotional attachments to their numbers and try to keep the same one all the way from little kid leagues through to a professional retirement. also, they often build their number into the brand identity, and see a business value in keeping it the same. it's common for athletes who have moved to a team which already has a player who wears their preferred number to buy that player a gift (that would seem extravagant to us, but normal to them) or do some type of favor in exchange for them relinquishing the number.

in the most extreme case i know of, a (pointy) football player who wore number 85 wanted the back of his jersey to read "ocho cinco" (he has a very poor grasp of the spanish language) in lieu of his last name. the nfl denied him permission - the league has a stick so far up its butt, it is only half-jokingly called the "no fun league." the player responded by legally changing his last name to "ocho cinco," which obligated the league to acquiesce due to terms in the collective bargaining agreement with the players' union.
12-11-2013, 04:53 AM
The twit-point about them not being able to police the effect on the temptation to exceed the cost cap for that last race (plus the stimulus to keep spending on developments throughout the season) is a good one. Un intended complications abound, and this is a poorly thought-through and un-necessary complication.

Regards,
Mark

"A man who took simple pleasure in making things work properly"
[Nigel Roebuck, writing of Bruce McLaren]

"Bruce McLaren was the best person I ever worked for. He was amazing"
[Howden Ganley, 12th September 2009]
12-11-2013, 07:06 AM
Seb may not be Bernies best friend for much longsr

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story...CMP=chrome

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
12-11-2013, 08:43 AM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2013 08:46 AM by trickydicky.)
Well Im glad SOMEONE has said something about it.

I'm really in shock that nobody has started a movement against it
I think there are other ways to spark interest in the spot.

I've already said qualifying, which Frank gave a good counter argument against.

But I would also like to see points for fastest lap. 5 points could be a real game changer.

"Woof Woof"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Montezemolo - 2013 engine rules suck leonbray 35 8,699 01-09-2011 04:32 PM
Last Post: drmarkf
  2011 rules chemics 21 4,970 12-17-2010 12:50 PM
Last Post: chemics
  Miscellaneous new rules for 2010 Yaaay 7 1,579 02-12-2010 09:03 PM
Last Post: Miguel