Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Jean Todt is re-elected as the president of the FIA
12-08-2013, 08:40 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2013 08:40 PM by trickydicky.)
Jean Todt is re-elected as the president of the FIA
The Frenchman, 67, was unopposed after opponent David Ward withdrew from the FIA election last month after failing to attract the necessary support.

Todt, head of the Ferrari Formula 1 team from 1993-2007, will now serve a second four-year term.
Next year sees the introduction of new F1 rules, Todt's biggest achievement.

The FIA also represents international motorists as an umbrella group of motoring organisations.

To me, the FIA is a bit like the European Union.

We hear a lot about it, it influences the sport greatly, yet I don't know much about its inner workings.

I think one thing Todt could do is make the FIA more accessible, let us supporters really know whats going on. Am I alone in thinking this? I just see a image problem.

"Woof Woof"
[Image: jkvnl4.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2013, 09:20 PM
RE: Jean Todt is re-elected as the president of the FIA
do you seek out information and hit a wall of secrecy? i don't know much about the fia, but i've never really been interested.
12-08-2013, 09:38 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2013 09:39 PM by trickydicky.)
I'm not trying to imply secrecy.

I just think they could re-brand themselves. I'd like racing fans to have more awareness of the organisation without undertaking research. I think its healthy for governing bodies really sell the message of what they do and how they do it.

The fact that you are not interested in the FIA should not mean that you know little about the organisation.

The motivation for the FIA to 'sell themselves' is that it reduces the risk of bad publicity after scandal, controversy etc.

I'm not really advocating any big changes. The point was more that the FIA influence the sport hugely yet I have little or no comprehension of how 'things work' on the inside. The only two people I know work for the FIA are Todt and Charlie Whiting.

I'd love to have a pint with Charlie Whiting.

"Woof Woof"
12-08-2013, 09:42 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2013 09:43 PM by frankdouglason.)
how do you see them doing selling themselves to fans without the fans seeking out the information? the only way i can think of doing that is having little breaks during the races in which they talk about the fia, but that would mean not showing that part of the race, which i don't think we'd like.
i'd also enjoy having a pint with charlie, so long as my beer is of the root variety.
12-08-2013, 10:30 PM
(12-08-2013 09:42 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  how do you see them doing selling themselves to fans without the fans seeking out the information? the only way i can think of doing that is having little breaks during the races in which they talk about the fia, but that would mean not showing that part of the race, which i don't think we'd like.
i'd also enjoy having a pint with charlie, so long as my beer is of the root variety.

I was pondering over this. It might be implicit for broadcasters to explain the FIA. I just want someone to inform me. I'm clearly too lazy.

Anyway I have just had a quick look on the FIA website and must say its top notch and bursting with information. I wasn't even aware we had a Anti-doping program (suppose i've never thought about it)

"Woof Woof"
12-09-2013, 06:00 PM
I checked out the anti doping part as I was intrigued what drugs might be considered performance enhancing for an F1 driver. The usual "suspects" were there steroids, growth hormones etc - I am not sure they would be a major performance improver for F1 drivers so I can't help but think the FIA have jumped on the "band wagon" a bit there. They do however cover off various narcotics, alcohol etc which would potentially degrade a drivers performance / or make them dangerous if they took to the track under the influence
12-09-2013, 06:13 PM
(12-09-2013 06:00 PM)Koala Wrote:  I checked out the anti doping part as I was intrigued what drugs might be considered performance enhancing for an F1 driver. The usual "suspects" were there steroids, growth hormones etc - I am not sure they would be a major performance improver for F1 drivers so I can't help but think the FIA have jumped on the "band wagon" a bit there. They do however cover off various narcotics, alcohol etc which would potentially degrade a drivers performance / or make them dangerous if they took to the track under the influence

Worth a read:

http://thejudge13.com/2012/11/02/fia-dru...ke-webber/

http://www.thenational.ae/sport/formula-...nd-no-fire

However, overall I think it's a load of bollox (i.e. my non-expert medical opinion).

Now cycling has been largely cleaned up, I'm told that American Football and Baseball are due to be dragged through the gutter. Doping of various sorts in both is alleged to be endemic, with complicit testing systems and laboratories (as there were allegations of in cycling, too).

Should be fun...

Regards,
Mark

"A man who took simple pleasure in making things work properly"
[Nigel Roebuck, writing of Bruce McLaren]

"Bruce McLaren was the best person I ever worked for. He was amazing"
[Howden Ganley, 12th September 2009]
12-09-2013, 06:34 PM
i would think adderall would be the drug of choice for an f1 driver looking for a competitive edge.
12-09-2013, 08:34 PM
(12-09-2013 06:34 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  i would think adderall would be the drug of choice for an f1 driver looking for a competitive edge.
side effects can be counter productive - nervousness, restlessness, excitability, dizziness, headache, fear, anxiety, and tremor, as well as well palpitations and elevated blood pressure (considering a driver heart rate goes over 200 bps, it could be quite dangerous)

A friend of mine did the Dakar on a bike, and told me cocaine use was common among "motards" but often lead to spectacular crashes related to over confidence.

Ad Astra Per Audacia

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Todt is the new FIA president. Yaaay 23 3,557 10-28-2009 07:49 PM
Last Post: TheFIAFerrariConspiracy
  Mosley backs Todt for FIA presidency Yaaay 4 906 07-22-2009 06:57 PM
Last Post: Koala