Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
You know what F1 is lacking?
11-20-2013, 10:17 PM
You know what F1 is lacking?
Controversy

Conspiracy

and of course.... Competition

But seriously, where is the controversy this season? We really need a controversial situation or at least the return of Max Mosley

"Woof Woof"
[Image: jkvnl4.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2013, 11:14 PM
RE: You know what F1 is lacking?
lotus vs. kimi?
the rabble's irrational hatred of vettel?
bernie in court?
races being added then subtracted then added to the calendar?

does it have to be a new controversy to count?
11-20-2013, 11:43 PM
The Lotus Kimi thing was relatively interesting.

The hatred of Vettel is old news

Bernie is always in court

Races are always added then subtracted.

What I want is this:

[Image: mosley_nazi_orgy.jpg]

or this

[Image: article-1076895-0216AB82000005DC-551_233x443.jpg]

"Woof Woof"
11-21-2013, 04:23 AM
Those were the good old days. I remember fondly the time you skyped me to look at the headlines when Max got caught.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
11-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Passing. It's also lacking passing. Though, I guess that could be lumped into competition.

[Image: 6p7ymog.jpg]
Copyright - Royal Dutch Dicky Graphic Design
11-21-2013, 11:00 AM
(11-21-2013 10:55 AM)Jackson Wrote:  Passing. It's also lacking passing. Though, I guess that could be lumped into competition.

Is it lacking passing? I'd be interested to see the numbers, but I bet there have been plenty of passes this year. I do wonder how many are without the aid of DRS though.

Lots of passing isn't necessarily a good thing, but a faster car should be able to at least have a chance to pass without aids rather than the aero making it all but impossible unless the other cars tyres are completely shot.
11-21-2013, 11:26 AM
Let me clarify...
Not enough people are passing Vettel.

[Image: 6p7ymog.jpg]
Copyright - Royal Dutch Dicky Graphic Design
11-21-2013, 02:25 PM
it is NOT lacking passing. there is far too much passing. in their endless pursuit of the rabble's whims, they've made passing way too easy. f1 needs less passing, not more.
11-21-2013, 06:54 PM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2013 06:55 PM by Koala.)
Mark Webber after Brazil Wink
11-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Unpredictability.

Despite no testing the cars are ridiculously reliable. They should be pushing things so far they break occasionally.

Drivers cannot make mistakes any more. They have idiot proof controls which mean they cannot miss a gear, miss a clutch or miss judge their braking. If they do run wide they have nice safe curbs and acres of run off so they can just come back on losing only a few tenths.

We cannot go and make everyone race Lotus 49's, go back to manual gearboxes, sand traps, throttle pedals that control butterflies and engineers who design without finite element analysis so all we are left with is making tyres which do different things depending on what someone thinks the show needs and a flappy rear wing that allows showtime overtaking.

We haven't even had a wet race this year and an even bigger problem is that they cannot run a race team on 50 million a year, but this is probably a different subject.

11-21-2013, 07:48 PM
The Pussy Cat doll in the pits

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
11-25-2013, 12:04 PM
(11-21-2013 07:16 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  Unpredictability.

Despite no testing the cars are ridiculously reliable. They should be pushing things so far they break occasionally.

Drivers cannot make mistakes any more. They have idiot proof controls which mean they cannot miss a gear, miss a clutch or miss judge their braking. If they do run wide they have nice safe curbs and acres of run off so they can just come back on losing only a few tenths.

We cannot go and make everyone race Lotus 49's, go back to manual gearboxes, sand traps, throttle pedals that control butterflies and engineers who design without finite element analysis so all we are left with is making tyres which do different things depending on what someone thinks the show needs and a flappy rear wing that allows showtime overtaking.

We haven't even had a wet race this year and an even bigger problem is that they cannot run a race team on 50 million a year, but this is probably a different subject.

Engines will go bang and things will fail when they change the rules to allow teams to have more. If you only get 5 or 6 engines a year you make them really reliable, if you get 1 a weekend you can afford to turn it up and risk a single result. Does it cost more to have lots of unreliable engines or develop reliable ones? I bet it's a similar cost.
11-25-2013, 02:19 PM
they're not even allowed to turn them up. they're allowed to make modifications to enhance reliability, but they're not allowed to make modifications to enhance performance, so of course they're no where near the limit.
11-25-2013, 02:29 PM
(11-25-2013 02:19 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  they're not even allowed to turn them up. they're allowed to make modifications to enhance reliability, but they're not allowed to make modifications to enhance performance, so of course they're no where near the limit.

it's just stupid, I'm not sure what the point is of being an F1 engine supplier. Nobody says Red Bull Renault (or is it Infiniti?) won, it's just Red Bull, but if it did ever go bang it's a Renault failure. Also, with the engines being so equalised there is never a situation that one engine has a performance advantage over another. The engine is barely any more recognisable as different than any other generic component on a car.
11-25-2013, 02:37 PM
The key to Ferrari's success was its incredible engine in a era of unreliability

I will never forget Japan 2006 though

"Woof Woof"
11-25-2013, 05:17 PM
(11-25-2013 02:37 PM)trickydicky Wrote:  The key to Ferrari's success was its incredible engine in a era of unreliability

I will never forget Japan 2006 though

Yeah! Jenson was 4th in that dog of a car.

11-25-2013, 09:28 PM
I like the strategy of F1 as much as I like the speed.

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
11-29-2013, 10:36 PM

Have a look at this. You might not like the presenters or their viewpoints but the questions raised are interesting

What would you like to see in F1 in 2014?

Personally, as a TV / internet based fan, I would like to see more freedom around the powerplant and its systems - but I would also like some way of being able to see what the recovery systems and power systems are doing during a race weekend - a lot more detail than the crappy KERS and DRS indicators currently in the telecast

If F1 is going to introduce this technical stuff, it needs to be made more visible to the fans / followers - not just when the heat exchangers fry the bodywork

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
11-30-2013, 01:35 AM
f1's ipad app is a great use of technology to make the race more interesting, but it's so bloody expensive! i bought it for the first season, but haven't been able to justify it since. making that significantly cheaper would open that up to a lot more people.
12-04-2013, 09:22 AM
(11-30-2013 01:35 AM)frankdouglason Wrote:  f1's ipad app is a great use of technology to make the race more interesting, but it's so bloody expensive! i bought it for the first season, but haven't been able to justify it since. making that significantly cheaper would open that up to a lot more people.

perhaps there should be a lite and full version, with the lite one being free to get people interested. I know a lot of other apps do that to give people a taste of what's available.
12-04-2013, 10:45 AM
Does anyone else think live timing actually detracts from the sporting spectacle?

I used to find it really useful when I followed DC because the coverage often focused on the front end. But now that I don't have a favourite driver I just find it a bit anti climatic, especially in qualifying.

"Woof Woof"
12-04-2013, 12:14 PM
In quali it is useless as the on screen graphics tell all, and in time with the picture. Sometimes the TV is 15-20 seconds behind live timing.

During the race I find it indispensable to see where people are and who is doing what.

What you need is a new favourite driver.

12-04-2013, 02:22 PM
(12-04-2013 12:14 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  Sometimes the TV is 15-20 seconds behind live timing.

i've never experienced a gap anywhere near that big.
12-04-2013, 02:30 PM
When it being streamed or it's coming from the far east it's often that far behind. One satellite hop coupled with digital conversion will do that.

12-04-2013, 03:19 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2013 03:20 PM by RBoulanger.)
(12-04-2013 02:22 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  
(12-04-2013 12:14 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  Sometimes the TV is 15-20 seconds behind live timing.

i've never experienced a gap anywhere near that big.

I've had it get up to 2 mins behind the live timing!
(12-04-2013 12:14 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  What you need is a new favourite driver.

Should we have a vote on who Tricky's new favorite shall be?