Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
How I love to live in the counrtyside.
03-29-2016, 06:33 AM
RE: How I love to live in the counrtyside.
Nice, you can still buy a Gordini.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-23-2016, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2016 04:25 PM by Neonzapper.)
This time of year, movie nights start on the Potomac River.

[Image: 9rtz15.jpg]

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
04-23-2016, 05:07 PM
Looks like a fine evening.

04-23-2016, 05:59 PM
not really an ideal movie-watching environment. i wonder how many stay for the full runtime and how many just stop to rest for a few minutes before continuing on.
04-25-2016, 04:00 PM
What movie is that?

[Image: 6p7ymog.jpg]
Copyright - Royal Dutch Dicky Graphic Design
04-26-2016, 12:05 AM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2016 12:08 AM by Neonzapper.)
Free outdoor movies are very popular around the D.C. area. Usually, tied-in with some event or special place, you can come and go as the movies play or wait for the sun to go down. You can bring your own food and chairs or blanket.

These started popping-up a few years ago when indoor movie theaters began converting into lavish luxury cinemas with limited seating, huge leather reclining chairs, tablet menus and personal waiters. How's a guy supposed to stick his gum under a chair like that?

http://www.nationalharbor.com/specials-promotions/

http://www.dcoutdoorfilms.com/

04-26-2016, 11:00 AM
We have them here in NC as well, usually very pleasant. The only downside is the occasional afternoon/evening storms making the ground too wet for a picnic.

04-27-2016, 11:59 AM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2016 06:20 AM by drmarkf.)
Had a fun trip to Rome a couple of weeks ago.

[Image: 26584386672_3f5cf813cd_c.jpg]DSC03281 de-edged by drmarkf, on Flickr

If you made a Roman sit on their hands they could no longer communicate.

[Image: 26330462891_a476846587_c.jpg]P4127635 by drmarkf, on Flickr

[Image: 26382479206_ca8e075740_c.jpg]P4095713 1 by drmarkf, on Flickr

[Image: 25793955663_c7126eac37_c.jpg]P4117031 by drmarkf, on Flickr

[Image: 26677297955_4aee3066f3_c.jpg]P4150129 1 by drmarkf, on Flickr

No. that last one was not a setup.

Regards,
Mark

"A man who took simple pleasure in making things work properly"
[Nigel Roebuck, writing of Bruce McLaren]

"Bruce McLaren was the best person I ever worked for. He was amazing"
[Howden Ganley, 12th September 2009]
04-27-2016, 11:02 PM
You are an excellent photographer, Dr. Mark!

04-28-2016, 06:23 AM
Thanks, but it's difficult to take bad photos in Rome: expressive, stylish people in a colourful, crumbling environment.

The UK on one's return is full of dull repressives in buff fleece amid sterile, corporate uniformity.

Regards,
Mark

04-28-2016, 10:43 AM
(04-28-2016 06:23 AM)drmarkf Wrote:  Thanks, but it's difficult to take bad photos in Rome: expressive, stylish people in a colourful, crumbling environment.

The UK on one's return is full of dull repressives in buff fleece amid sterile, corporate uniformity.

We'll be there in September with 5 days each in London/Rome. Although it will be a very different trip than previously with our 3.5yo son with us.
04-28-2016, 06:55 PM
I see that the good Doctor has been to Rome and returned with some splendid pictures.
Coincidentally your correspondent has been in Italy too, the place where they have coffee like this. Yes, that's all you get.

[Image: k9uvzs.jpg]

Paddle gear change thingies were on the menu:

[Image: 23kwvhe.jpg]

Old cars were much in evidence, even Fiats. Dry climate, you see.

[Image: 4jusz6.jpg]

We see here an island. Not an uncommon thing, but this one's called after an Anglo-German Ford coupé. Not a common thing.

[Image: 2z8pb2h.jpg]

We see Popes:

[Image: dgjl86.jpg]

Saints:

[Image: rauwle.jpg]

Churches built in honour of said saint:

[Image: 2zq4dtu.jpg]

We can see the rediscovered forum in Pompeii (which confusingly has dropped the second i since) and, sitting innocently in the background, its nemesis

[Image: 343nqmf.jpg]

Speaking of Vesuvius, you can go up and peer into the crater (when not erupting). You find fleecing stations up there too. The proprietors have to get to work and so they need four wheel drives. Huge Jeep-like things? Nah, 4wd mk1 Pandas.

[Image: wwc2mh.jpg]
04-28-2016, 07:33 PM
Ickkle coffee, great taste.

04-29-2016, 08:19 AM
(04-28-2016 06:55 PM)Cé hé sin Wrote:  ...they have coffee like this.
I might try a quick dab, but I'd have to wash it down with coffee.
(04-28-2016 06:55 PM)Cé hé sin Wrote:  Old cars were much in evidence, even Fiats. Dry climate, you see.
They've all but disappeared from car shows, too.
(04-28-2016 06:55 PM)Cé hé sin Wrote:  ...island
That's a view!
(04-28-2016 06:55 PM)Cé hé sin Wrote:  We see Popes...Saints
I see Rocky
(04-28-2016 06:55 PM)Cé hé sin Wrote:  Churches built in honour of said saint
Italians know how to do stained glass.
(04-28-2016 06:55 PM)Cé hé sin Wrote:  Pompeii (which confusingly has dropped the second i since)
That's od
(04-28-2016 06:55 PM)Cé hé sin Wrote:  4wd mk1 Pandas.
Not much money in that line of work?

These were very enjoyable photos, Ce he sin!

04-29-2016, 10:15 AM
(04-29-2016 08:19 AM)Neonzapper Wrote:  4wd mk1 Pandas.
Not much money in that line of work?

These were very enjoyable photos, Ce he sin!
[/quote]

Well, if you can think of another small, cheap 4wd vehicle which any mechanic in Italy can fix, which has widely available parts and which is small enough to get around narrow streets and a narrow track up Vesuvius....

It wasn't there alone either. It had friends!

[Image: 2lxzgvt.jpg]

[Image: k0j09t.jpg]
04-29-2016, 03:10 PM
Italy is so wonderful, eh.

Regards,
Mark

04-29-2016, 05:28 PM
And cheap, courtesy of Mr Ryanair. Four flights totalling €80.38.

B & B from €38, a cappuccino and a croissant for €2.50 and so on.
05-02-2016, 09:06 AM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2016 09:11 AM by chemics.)
(04-29-2016 05:28 PM)Cé hé sin Wrote:  And cheap, courtesy of Mr Ryanair. Four flights totalling €80.38.

B & B from €38, a cappuccino and a croissant for €2.50 and so on.

I'll keep quiet about what my hotel in central Rome is costing for a family of 3, needless to say it's more than that.

(04-28-2016 07:33 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  Ickkle coffee, great taste.

I believe anything with water added to look more like a western coffee (Americano) is considered a sin much after 10am.

This is our home setup

[Image: 2r4mqu0.jpg]
05-02-2016, 03:46 PM
(05-02-2016 09:06 AM)chemics Wrote:  I believe anything with water added to look more like a western coffee (Americano) is considered a sin much after 10am.

i don't drink coffee (flavor reasons), but i'm curious about this. all coffee has water added, unless you're just chewing the beans or packing the grinds in your lip like dip tobacco. is there a difference in the end between making a weak brew and making a strong brew but then watering it down?
05-02-2016, 05:40 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2016 05:40 PM by Yaaay.)
Full disclosure - I am a coffee slob, self confessed, I actually prefer instant.

I find watered down espresso (what they laughingly call an americano over here) disgusting. All the harshness watered down, just give me the espresso.

Filtered coffee (hot water dripped over the grounds) is fine by me as it never gets that super rich strong often bitter coffee taste.

A cafetière (French press) is fine too so long as it's not left for 10 minutes to super stew before pressing. (like my business partners does).

Pass the Maxwell house.

05-02-2016, 07:22 PM
I've often wondered why someone hasn't sued Starbucks for false advertising. The first time I had one of their "coffees" I took it back as I thought they hadn't put any coffee in their dishwater.

Been using one of the pod machines for a few years because they offer a range of tastes and strengths. Easiest way to make espresso, although not good for the compost heap

[Image: composite2013.jpg]
Locator of Shruberies
05-03-2016, 09:18 AM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2016 09:21 AM by chemics.)
(05-02-2016 03:46 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  
(05-02-2016 09:06 AM)chemics Wrote:  I believe anything with water added to look more like a western coffee (Americano) is considered a sin much after 10am.

i don't drink coffee (flavor reasons), but i'm curious about this. all coffee has water added, unless you're just chewing the beans or packing the grinds in your lip like dip tobacco. is there a difference in the end between making a weak brew and making a strong brew but then watering it down?

Perhaps I should have said significant additional water added.

Espresso is very different to an americano in both volume and taste. In Rome it seems like most people typically stick to espresso, with perhaps an americano in the morning with breakfast if they stop to sit down for a few minutes. This may be as much to do with the pace they seem to do everything, from what we saw they typically come into the cafe, get the espresso and drink it within a very short space of time and never sit down. So the time for anything with additional volume may just be a luxury.

I prefer a regular drip coffee to an americano, I only make espresso for myself with the machine in the picture plus a couple of attempts at a latte for guests which I'm told have come out OK, but certainly don't have any fancy patterns on top.

(05-02-2016 07:22 PM)leonbray Wrote:  I've often wondered why someone hasn't sued Starbucks for false advertising. The first time I had one of their "coffees" I took it back as I thought they hadn't put any coffee in their dishwater.

Been using one of the pod machines for a few years because they offer a range of tastes and strengths. Easiest way to make espresso, although not good for the compost heap

The pods are convenient, but I always find they aren't at the same level as a decent real espresso machine.

Ours was a significant indulgence when we bought it, but I think the price of making the coffee with beans over the cost of pods or buying in a cafe probably pays for itself in the end.
05-03-2016, 10:35 AM
(05-02-2016 03:46 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  

What they mean is hot water added to an existing coffee. To make an americano you often make an espresso and then add it to hot water.
05-03-2016, 12:01 PM
At home we do not have a drip machine. We have an espresso machine, a French press, and a Mokka pot. This is mostly function as I'm the only one in the house that drinks coffee, and I prefer a strong espresso, so an added drip machine would take up counter space. The French press and Mokka are easily stashed in the cupboard.

Espresso machine is used on a daily basis in the morning. The French press is usually reserved for when people are over at the house (it makes up to 8 cups at once), though sometimes I will use it on a slow morning when I just want to sip. The Mokka pot hardly ever gets used, it's a relic from college days, but I use it when I'm feeling nostalgic, or sometimes when traveling.

I've only made an Americano once, it was for Lindsey's sister. She essentially likes watered down coffee. She thought the Americano was too strong still, and eventually brought a small drip machine with her when she visited and asked that we keep it in the house. It stayed at the house for about a year before we tossed it.

Lindsey only drinks tea.

05-12-2016, 08:43 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2016 08:28 AM by Neonzapper.)
I have a regular Cuisinart drip machine at home that makes up to 12 cups at a time (good for parties). I usually add a small amount of French Vanilla creamer (most likely not available in France) to my cup. I also have a Keurig K-cup machine for quick cups of various flavored coffees, but seems a little weak tasting. At work, we use a Bunn double-pot machine. Obviously I'm no connoisseur, but I can't live without my daily coffee.

Switching subjects for a second, today is the fifteenth day in a row that we have had rain. This is unusual for the D.C. area.