Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Citroen to enter WTCC with Loeb
06-25-2013, 08:31 AM
Citroen to enter WTCC with Loeb
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108282

I think this has been on the cards for a while, so it's good to see it finally announced. Loeb should have some good circuit experience by next year with all his exploits this season as well.

Frederic Banzet should probably check his Citroen stats though, he quotes 8 WRC titles for the brand, but Loeb has won the last 9, all with Citroen.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-25-2013, 01:15 PM
RE: Citroen to enter WTCC with Loeb
on the heels of his tremendous work in the porsche supercup, who could blame them? Wink
06-25-2013, 01:53 PM
(06-25-2013 01:15 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  on the heels of his tremendous work in the porsche supercup, who could blame them? Wink

just checked the results, not exactly stellar, although he has won a race in the FIA GT championship this year. It's hard to judge his true potential after only a few outings on short circuits, and I think he had some funding issues for the Porsche team, so I don't know how much that may have affected potential.

You'd have to believe he has the potential to do well, although who knows against seasoned pro's in the series that have been racing tin-tops for years. It's probably good PR for Citroen to put his name to the project and he no doubt brings some Red Bull sponsorship to the team as well. It's good that he's having a proper go at other stuff now, WRC was getting all too predictable with him winning everything for so long. Citroen are even talking about trying to get him to do more rallies later in the year to help with the manufacturers title. I guess it shows how the lack of good drives has left a shortage of top drivers that there are so few capable of winning when they get their shot. although it does look like there are some fast younger drivers coming through at last and there should be good opportunities for them to get into top cars and get paid to drive at long last.
06-25-2013, 02:38 PM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2013 02:38 PM by frankdouglason.)
i agree, it is far too small a data set, and he has so much talent, there must be something there. i just couldn't resist the urge to rib him a little.
(06-25-2013 01:53 PM)chemics Wrote:  it does look like there are some fast younger drivers coming through at last and there should be good opportunities for them to get into top cars and get paid to drive at long last.

how many times have we said that in the past 10 years?
06-26-2013, 07:53 AM
(06-25-2013 02:38 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  i agree, it is far too small a data set, and he has so much talent, there must be something there. i just couldn't resist the urge to rib him a little.
(06-25-2013 01:53 PM)chemics Wrote:  it does look like there are some fast younger drivers coming through at last and there should be good opportunities for them to get into top cars and get paid to drive at long last.

how many times have we said that in the past 10 years?

Unfortunately in the past 10 years there has been a single driver dominating and no cars available for young drivers to get into when they arrive. I'm hoping with VW, and soon Hyundai plus maybe another manufacturer before too long there will finally be the cars to support drivers coming through the sport.

Unfortunately I have a feeling Citroen may leave soon now their years of dominance are over, but I hope I'm wrong. A 4/5 manufacturer championship would be great. Especially if Kubica comes through and is competitive with the WRC boys.

It would be nice to see some youngsters get into decent cars and be given a year or two to get up to speed. I think Hirvonen could/should be pushed aside now, he doesn't have the pace to beat the fast guys. I think Latvala might finally be ready to raise his game, he's been lucky to last as long as he has, 5 years in top cars with far too many crashes have cost others their jobs long before now. Unfortunately for him I think Ogier has as much speed and the Loeb consistency that nobody else seems to be able to combine winning speed with.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  WTCC 2011 migchaos 0 1,112 03-26-2011 06:25 PM
Last Post: migchaos
  USTCC and WTCC Collaboration for 2012 MadManMotors 0 1,130 03-01-2011 09:22 PM
Last Post: MadManMotors
  WTCC & BTCC vs. DTM cozmoose 3 4,066 02-18-2011 02:54 AM
Last Post: beavis
  Tiago Monteiro wins his first WTCC race Miguel 0 1,031 04-06-2008 05:50 PM
Last Post: Miguel