Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pirelli's Secret Test
07-02-2013, 02:21 PM
RE: Pirelli's Secret Test
Is that sort of like saying it would be silly to make drivers adjust to something like rain, rather than just building a dome over the track? Just playing devil's advocate, but shouldn't a professional driver be able to adapt to the circumstances on a given day?

[Image: 6p7ymog.jpg]
Copyright - Royal Dutch Dicky Graphic Design
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2013, 03:01 PM
i think asking them to adjust to something that flies in the face of their decades of experience is a little different. try adjusting to pronouncing the word "the" differently, and then see how many times you slip up over the course of a day.
07-02-2013, 03:07 PM
A good point. However, I will counter with the fact that several drivers did not blow out a tire. Sheer luck? Or obeying the team and adapting to the conditions?

[Image: 6p7ymog.jpg]
Copyright - Royal Dutch Dicky Graphic Design
07-02-2013, 03:22 PM
i would say sheer luck, at least for the first half of the race before teams started raising the tire pressures to compensate for the crappy rubber.
07-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Pirelli reveals new F1 tyre plans

Pirelli is to introduce all-new tyres from the Hungarian Grand Prix, as well as push for rule changes, in a bid to prevent a repeat of the Silverstone tyre failures.
After 48 hours of detailed analysis at its Milan headquarters to understand why there were a series of spectacular blow-outs in last weekend's British GP, Pirelli has reacted with a major rethink of its policy.
For this weekend's German Grand Prix, teams will be given the Kevlar-belted rear tyres that were tested briefly at the Canadian GP.
Furthermore, teams will be banned from swapping the left and right tyres around, and strict limits will be imposed on camber and tyre pressures.
From the race at Budapest later this month, an all-new tyre that features a combination of the 2012 construction with the 2013 compounds will be introduced.
These new products will be tested for the first time at the forthcoming young driver test at Silverstone on July 17-19.
Pirelli believes that the British GP tyre failures were caused by a combination of factors and that they were unrelated to the delaminations it encountered earlier this season.
It claims that a combination of rear tyres being swapped (which put undue pressure on the wrong sidewall), low tyre pressures, extreme cambers and high kerbs at Silverstone - especially from The Loop - contributed to the failures.
To prevent a repeat, Pirelli wants it to be made mandatory that real time tyre data – including pressures and cambers – is made available for its engineers during a race.
It also wants limits on pressures and cambers to be enforced by the FIA.
Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery said: "What happened at Silverstone was completely unexpected and it was the first time that anything like this has ever occurred in more than a century of Pirelli in motorsport.
"These incidents, which have upset us greatly, have stressed the urgency of the changes that we already suggested – which will be introduced for free practice in Germany on Friday.
"We would like to acknowledge the willingness of the FIA, FOM, teams, and drivers to act quickly to find an immediate solution to the problem.
"In particular, the adoption of winter tests, arranged with the FIA, that are more suitable for tyre development, and the possibility of carrying out in-season testing will contribute to the realisation of tyres with increasingly improved standards of safety and performance."
Hembery is adamant that there are no safety issues with Pirelli tyres as long as teams use them correctly.
"I'd like to re-emphasise the fact that the 2013 range of tyres, used in the correct way, is completely safe," he said.
"What happened at Silverstone though has led us to ask for full access to real time tyre data to ensure the correct usage and development of tyres that have the sophistication we were asked to provide and extremely high performance that has lowered lap times by more than two seconds on average.
"While we wait for a change in the rules, we will introduce tyres that are easier to manage."

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
07-02-2013, 05:33 PM
It's helpful to read all of the post on Joe Saward's blog before calling these tyres 'absurd' or blaming Pirelli for what looks like the teams' actions that directly compromised safety. There's a lot more detail than in the report that Peter quoted (where was that from, BTW?).

'Actions' might mean 'incompetence' or 'recklessness' or 'innovation' (or it might be that Pirelli didn't give them clear instructions, of course): time will tell more, I suspect.

It's a long read, but I do recommend letting the (probable) facts get in the way of a lurid story:

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2013/07/0...lverstone/

Regards,
Mark

"A man who took simple pleasure in making things work properly"
[Nigel Roebuck, writing of Bruce McLaren]

"Bruce McLaren was the best person I ever worked for. He was amazing"
[Howden Ganley, 12th September 2009]
07-02-2013, 05:34 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2013 05:36 PM by Yaaay.)
Autosport
So if there was nothing wrong with the tyres and it's all the teams and tracks fault, why are they changing the spec?

07-02-2013, 05:42 PM
I'd say they'd demonstrated quite conclusively that many of them can't be trusted to follow guidelines. Better all round to have something that's bullet-proof.

Who knows - as I said, I think there's more to come out on this. Jean the Toad may actually need to express an opinion.

Regards,
Mark

"A man who took simple pleasure in making things work properly"
[Nigel Roebuck, writing of Bruce McLaren]

"Bruce McLaren was the best person I ever worked for. He was amazing"
[Howden Ganley, 12th September 2009]
07-02-2013, 05:46 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2013 05:49 PM by Yaaay.)
Using a tyre to it's proper specification, such as camber, symmetry and pressure should be as much in the rules as boring out the cylinders to get more power or altering the software in the ECU.

Just make it a requirement, same for everyone, it's a control tyre, get over it.
and in case anyone didn't notice the sarcasm, I think all is not being revealed here and some party is having their face saved.

A bit like the FIA saying it's ok to go do a test and then saying they didn't, holding everyone except themselves to account.

07-02-2013, 07:32 PM
for the record, these tires were absurd long before last week. that adjective stands regardless of what the teams did or did not do to exacerbate the problem.
07-03-2013, 07:23 AM
(07-02-2013 07:32 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  for the record, these tires were absurd long before last week. that adjective stands regardless of what the teams did or did not do to exacerbate the problem.

I don't think Pirelli should take too much of the blame though, the FIA asked them for crap tyres and that's what they got, they also essentially banned them from meaningful testing. It's am almost impossible position to be in for a supplier.
07-03-2013, 01:16 PM
i agree completely. it is not pirelli's fault. they were forced into an impossible position. i haven't lost any respect for pirelli.