Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Red Bull flexible nose
11-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Red Bull flexible nose
Image taken from Seb's first pit stop in Abu Dhabi.
Strangely the car nose is very flexible.

[Image: sbeeM.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2012, 05:46 PM
RE: Red Bull flexible nose
hmm, that is interesting. i wonder why they build it that way. it doesn't seem to be aerodynamically useful.
Find all posts by this user
11-07-2012, 06:24 PM
[Image: trucorb2.gif]

The classic approach is to allow the wing to reduce it's angle of attack and therefore drag at higher speeds but this is something else. Another way to get around the wing loading tests.
11-07-2012, 06:34 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2012 06:34 PM by frankdouglason.)
the flex in yaaay's picture seems to stem from the main plane of the wing, and tilts the wing back under loading, which would reduce drag.

the flex in francoiscevert's picture is in the very tip of the nose, which if anything, would bend downward and increase drag. the only thing i can think of, and it sound crazy to me, is that it's a bumper that protects the nose in minor collisions.
11-07-2012, 07:37 PM
I agree with frank, because the ugly step nose is actually crash protection.

[Image: 2s60vu9.jpg][Image: 2581mvq.jpg]
"I want to build a car that flies without ever leaving the ground" Enzo Ferrari........"The next race is the only thing that matters in F1" Sir Frank Williams
11-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Look at the nose, the flex is the same at the nose as it is on the wing. They got a flexy nose making the flexy wing. There is something terribly clever going on there.
11-07-2012, 08:13 PM
i disagree, yaaay. the travel at the rear edge of the wing is much greater than the flex at the front edge of the wing or in the nose. the nose is flexing a bit (more than other cars? i don't know.) but the reason the elements of the wing are moving so much is because of the flex in the main plane.
11-07-2012, 08:17 PM
Well, if you consider the fulcrum, the pivot point, is the the nose section, the angular movement at the wing, is going to be much greater.

I don't know how that is going to work, but that is probably why I make mat making machines and Adrian Newey got the job he did.
11-07-2012, 09:12 PM
if the nose is flexing, as you suggest, the fulcrum would be where the nose meets the monocoque, and the rear edge of the wing would be closer to the fulcrum than the leading edge, which would make the leading edge travel more.

it appears to me that the rear edge is traveling more than the leading edge, which means the fulcrum must be forward of the center of the wing profile. that's why i suggest the main plane of the wing is flexing, making the fulcrum the joint between the main plane and the struts attaching it to the nose.
11-08-2012, 09:06 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2012 09:09 AM by Koala.)
Perhaps it it is just a way of saving on panel beating costs - in the event of a "ding" it just bounces back Big Grin
11-08-2012, 03:25 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2012 09:59 PM by bmw85.)
Forget what I said before, I see it now in the pitstop video. It looks like that yellow section is made out of play-doh! I still don't think anything looks special in the video going over the kerb though.
11-08-2012, 07:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKm59ktOeI0

"I want to build a car that flies without ever leaving the ground" Enzo Ferrari........"The next race is the only thing that matters in F1" Sir Frank Williams
11-10-2012, 09:56 PM
I think the material used for the nose is D3O. http://www.d3o.com/partner/how-d3o-works/

http://www.d3o.com/about/d3o-tv/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Red Bull Sponsorship Fading... Neonzapper 19 235 04-10-2014 11:50 PM
Last Post: frankdouglason
  Red Bull Infiniti Yaaay 15 969 02-23-2014 07:23 AM
Last Post: Koala
  Red Bull Looking For New Engine? Neonzapper 1 85 02-17-2014 09:01 AM
Last Post: chemics
  Red Bull Traction Control? Neonzapper 7 525 10-16-2013 09:51 AM
Last Post: chemics