Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Delta Wing Crash at Atlanta.
10-18-2012, 10:02 AM (This post was last modified: 10-18-2012 10:04 AM by Yaaay.)
Delta Wing Crash at Atlanta.
Why you should never trust Porch drivers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW7qaG9K2_c#!

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-18-2012, 10:59 AM
RE: Delta Wing Crash at Atlanta.
(10-18-2012 10:02 AM)Yaaay Wrote:  Why you should never trust Porch drivers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW7qaG9K2_c#!

Did the Porsche loose it before he cut across or was he just blindly turning into the pits?
It seems people have a habit of taking that car out.

I found out recently a friends brother works for RML on the prep of the Delta Wing. It must be a great project to be involved with, it isn't too often anything this different is tried.
10-18-2012, 11:34 AM
I think so. The Porch ran wide and the DFB behind the wheel didn't look.

And I agree, I took the P at first but good on them for trying something different.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
10-18-2012, 11:39 AM
(10-18-2012 11:34 AM)Yaaay Wrote:  I think so. The Porch ran wide and the DFB behind the wheel didn't look.

And I agree, I took the P at first but good on them for trying something different.

Assuming nobody takes them out at LeMans this year it will be interesting to see how they go. I think there are reduced fuel limits, so with their slippery shape they may actually spring a surprise after a year of testing to get the car sorted.
10-18-2012, 02:09 PM
That DeltaWing driver is very lucky if he didn't get head injuries in that crash. The onboard view looked like his helmet was coming in contact with the ground, but I can't be sure. maybe they should switch car colors to hot pink so it's easier to see.

“Just leave me alone. I know what to do.”
"I'm only here for the racing. All the other bull$hit I can do without." - Kimi
10-18-2012, 02:24 PM
the driver insisted on twitter that his head never touched the ground.

painting this thing black was a really stupid idea. it's tiny, especially at the front end, so let's make it even harder to see.

a stiff breeze flips the delta wing over. you would think they'd do something about that. this is sports car racing; the cars touch from time to time. you need to be able to survive a minor bump like that.
10-18-2012, 05:40 PM
How about a super-bright day-glo pink paint scheme with flashing running lights all down the side of the car?

10-18-2012, 06:03 PM
the delta wing is supposed to run a full schedule as a proper entrant in the alms next year. it won't survive races at street circuits like long beach and d.c. or short tracks like lime rock and laguna seca if it can't handle any contact. this is probably what happens when a car is designed for open wheel racing (where contact is expected to ruin races) but is rejected and then shoved into the sports car series that can't reject it because of shared management.

having the car painted in asphalt camouflage exacerbates the problem. it doesn't have to look ridiculous to not look like the road. every other team manages it. the stealth car isn't allowed to complain that nobody notices it.
10-19-2012, 09:28 AM
(10-18-2012 02:09 PM)LappedTraffic Wrote:  That DeltaWing driver is very lucky if he didn't get head injuries in that crash. The onboard view looked like his helmet was coming in contact with the ground, but I can't be sure. maybe they should switch car colors to hot pink so it's easier to see.

It looks like the drivers head was getting slapped by the ground pretty hard once he slid into the grass. It seems like the shape of that car would make a lot of awkward flips that leave the driver vulnerable.

[Image: 6p7ymog.jpg]
Copyright - Royal Dutch Dicky Graphic Design
10-19-2012, 09:36 AM
this is a much better design

[Image: hamster-race-car.jpg]

10-19-2012, 09:48 AM
(10-19-2012 09:36 AM)LappedTraffic Wrote:  this is a much better design

[Image: hamster-race-car.jpg]

Reminds me of a Mondeo.

10-19-2012, 11:00 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2012 11:03 AM by chemics.)
(10-19-2012 09:28 AM)Jackson Wrote:  
(10-18-2012 02:09 PM)LappedTraffic Wrote:  That DeltaWing driver is very lucky if he didn't get head injuries in that crash. The onboard view looked like his helmet was coming in contact with the ground, but I can't be sure. maybe they should switch car colors to hot pink so it's easier to see.

It looks like the drivers head was getting slapped by the ground pretty hard once he slid into the grass. It seems like the shape of that car would make a lot of awkward flips that leave the driver vulnerable.

I can't imagine it's any more vulnerable than in other open topped cars, the FIA or whoever else organises the series would regulate that. It did seem to flip easily though.
You'd think they would have learned about the easy flipping from these guys.

10-19-2012, 03:46 PM
I guess my thought is that rather than rolling laterally like a car with aligned wheels, it's going to roll at a slight forward angle (much like Clarkson behind the wheel of the Robin). I'm sure you are right, in order to compete it would have to comply with FIA crash protection regs. But if I were driving, I'd try to wear two helmets.

10-20-2012, 10:09 AM
Maybe an ejection seat so if the deltawing starts to roll, the driver is ejected clear of the rolling vehilce Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Delta Wing test Drive and Technical Stuff leonbray 0 687 10-31-2012 09:58 PM
Last Post: leonbray
  Petit LeMans Road Atlanta Mayonaise 0 862 08-15-2009 07:50 PM
Last Post: Mayonaise
  Road Atlanta Mayonaise 6 2,046 10-07-2008 12:20 PM
Last Post: Mayonaise