Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
RIP Gareth Roberts
06-18-2012, 09:03 AM
RIP Gareth Roberts
http://mag.gpweek.com/#folio=15

Gareth Roberts, Craig Breen's co-driver was killed at the weekend on the Targa Florio in an accident very similar to the one that injured Kubica. It sounds like another crew had a similar accident with a lucky escape a week ago as well. I'd thought Kubicas accident was a freak thing, but it sounds like guard rails are a major hazard for rally cars.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-18-2012, 11:02 PM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2012 11:06 PM by Neonzapper.)
RE: RIP Gareth Roberts
Decades ago, many metal guard rails in America were replaced with Jersey Barriers which are considered to have saved many lives...

[Image: ao6gj7.png][Image: nwac2h.jpg]

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
06-18-2012, 11:49 PM
the problem with kubica's injury was less about the type of barrier than the placement of it.
06-19-2012, 07:49 AM
(06-18-2012 11:49 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  the problem with kubica's injury was less about the type of barrier than the placement of it.
Oh. I didn't know that. I had only seen a slow-motion animated video of the incident.

06-19-2012, 08:35 AM
If that reconstruction is correct, I'd argue for type more than placement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-Q2MFkiaj8
06-19-2012, 11:06 AM
(06-19-2012 08:35 AM)InterRaptor Wrote:  If that reconstruction is correct, I'd argue for type more than placement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-Q2MFkiaj8

I'd tend to agree, but I have no scientific basis for that.

Either way, it isn't good for Rally if there have been multiple incidents with the guard rails and we've now had a fatality.
06-19-2012, 01:46 PM
that's a different animation than the one i saw back when it happened. that one does make it look like placement was irrelevant.

though it would be rather tricky to line a rally stage with jersey barriers. they're more for highways, where there is lots of space and a nice, flat, stable surface.
08-18-2012, 11:27 AM (This post was last modified: 08-18-2012 11:30 AM by Neonzapper.)
Speaking of tire barriers, the first photo shows Andrea de Cesaris intentionally crashing into the tire barrier at Zandvoort to test the strength. The billboard was pre-arranged for the testing. The second photo was Watkins Glen's tire barrier as used during a race...

[Image: 2e4lmx4.jpg]
[Image: 23r8rrm.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  RIP Colin Mcrae trickydicky 19 4,734 09-26-2007 05:21 PM
Last Post: trickydicky