Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sato comes up short
05-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Sato comes up short
Takuma Sato had an amazing run at the Indy 500. I was pulling for him at the end, but he pushed it a little too hard a few turns too early. I read that Sato accused Franchitti of crowding him too much, but I think Franchitti was following the racing line. If Franchitti had moved up any to give Sato room, it might have been Franchitti in the wall. But it did make for an exciting finish.

http://youtu.be/GB_sXxdLLvQ

“Just leave me alone. I know what to do.”
"I'm only here for the racing. All the other bull$hit I can do without." - Kimi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-28-2012, 08:06 PM
RE: Sato comes up short
does indycar consider it okay to force a driver off the inside of track to defend? i don't watch indycar, so i don't know their customs.
05-29-2012, 02:47 AM
Franchitti didn't give him room.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
05-29-2012, 04:31 AM
I don't know. Watching the replay at the end of that video, it looks like Sato was still outside of the white line (until he started to slide, that is). Other cars that came afterwards (Tony Kanaan for example) seemed to drive more on the inside and still manage to get through.
05-29-2012, 06:30 AM
Sato tried to make the pass to late going into turn 1. There hasn't been very many drivers in the past 500's that can dive bomb late into turn 1 and come out unscaved into turn 2. Sure Sato was 3/4's of the way under Dario going in but all he had to do was back off and draft him till he had a better run on Dario for the backstretch.
Sure it looked like Sato was pinched down going in but if Dario went up higher he would have been in the wall.
So to win Indy you have to setup your passes for the right spot on the track. Even if you have apply the brake from time to time.

The bottom line is.... Sato has been known as the guy to wreck when the pressure is on.

I thought he should haved crash 10 laps before that!
05-29-2012, 07:43 AM
That was all Sato, he got to egger to fast similar to what happened to Hildebrand at the end of last years race. I dont think Dario was in the wrong in the slightest there, turn 1 is not a good spot to make a move like that if he had waited only one or two more turns he would have had it.

"Second is the first of the losers" Richard Hammond
05-29-2012, 11:03 AM
There were several crashes during the race of drivers driving on the white line. I think Marco Andretti did a very similar thing a few laps earlier. I don't think it was Dario crowding him. Dario took a defensive line going into turn 1, but his line through the turn looked pretty normal to me. I think Dario and Dixon were very lucky they didn't get collected by Sato. I think most experienced oval racers would have known not to try a last second pass in turn 1. I would have been happy to see Dario, Sato, or Kanaan win.

“Just leave me alone. I know what to do.”
"I'm only here for the racing. All the other bull$hit I can do without." - Kimi
05-29-2012, 12:55 PM
Franchitti was on Wind Tunnel (Speed TV show) after the race and said in the drivers meeting prior to the race the question of how much room you had to leave a driver was asked and race control said a car width plus 1". Franchitti said watching the replay he gave Sato more than that and like noted above Sato was above the white line until he started to spin.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sato on pole! cozmoose 2 1,029 07-24-2011 02:45 AM
Last Post: cozmoose
Cool Takuma Sato/KV Racing 2010 Highlight cozmoose 6 1,545 09-23-2010 08:05 PM
Last Post: xorpheous
  Sato is injured? tsarcasm 6 1,775 05-26-2010 04:14 PM
Last Post: RBoulanger
  SATO in Indycars for 2010? parrothead 15 3,352 02-21-2010 09:23 PM
Last Post: xorpheous