Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
i hate these tires
04-15-2013, 01:46 PM
RE: i hate these tires
(04-15-2013 01:31 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  yaaay is right that it's the same for everyone. it's not unfair, it's just crummy. my lasting memory of china 2013 is how many drivers radioed their race engineers to ask if they should defend their position, or if they should just toddle around at the predetermined pace and let anyone who wants to go by. worse still is how many engineers said to not fight. i don't expect, nor appreciate, this kind of racing from f1. i want to see them go as fast as they can, and fight it out. i don't want endurance racing. that's what sports cars are for.

I haven't seen the race yet, but that is really poor if they were just letting people past. I can live with the different speeds of the cars if the fast cars doing more stops have to work to get past the slower cars, but not if the tyres are so fragile the slow car can't afford to defend their position.

I wonder if removing DRS from the race would have fixed most issues though. If it wasn't easy to just DRS past cars in two different sports it would have made the faster cars work harder to be able to use their speed.

I've seen it suggested that if DRS stays it should be limited to a certain number of uses per race, be that to attack or defend. I like the idea of that. Remove the 1s window but let cars use it say 10 times at their discretion during the race (in the prescribed zone).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2013, 01:54 PM
(04-15-2013 01:46 PM)chemics Wrote:  I've seen it suggested that if DRS stays it should be limited to a certain number of uses per race, be that to attack or defend. I like the idea of that. Remove the 1s window but let cars use it say 10 times at their discretion during the race (in the prescribed zone).

this strikes me as a very good effort in turd polishing.
04-15-2013, 02:55 PM
F1 is an endurance race, in that it is not and never has been a sprint race. You will only get lights to flag flat out racing in a sprint race. Managing the vehicle has always been a major feature in F1 especially in the days of no pit stops and less than bullet proof engines.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
04-15-2013, 03:22 PM
it's a feature race; it runs between 1.5 and 2 hours. yes, it's not a 20 minute sprint, but it's also not a 12 hour endurance race. but lately they've been behaving as if it was a 12 hour endurance race. ignoring qualifying and choosing to not defend a position are strategies used at Le Mans, not Grand Prix.
04-16-2013, 10:46 AM
(04-15-2013 01:54 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  
(04-15-2013 01:46 PM)chemics Wrote:  I've seen it suggested that if DRS stays it should be limited to a certain number of uses per race, be that to attack or defend. I like the idea of that. Remove the 1s window but let cars use it say 10 times at their discretion during the race (in the prescribed zone).

this strikes me as a very good effort in turd polishing.

It was only a fan suggestion, but I'd prefer limited use than silly overtakes all race with no chance to defend a position. I'm surprised they haven't got the DRS zones sorted by now, it's not the first year, so they have enough experience to limit their size to make it still be a challenge to overtake.

I don't think we need it at all now anyway, the problems it was implemented to fix don't exist any more.
04-16-2013, 12:40 PM
(04-16-2013 10:46 AM)chemics Wrote:  I don't think we need it at all now anyway, the problems it was implemented to fix don't exist any more.

...mainly because of the changes they've made to the tyres.

(Ducking)

Regards,
Mark

"A man who took simple pleasure in making things work properly"
[Nigel Roebuck, writing of Bruce McLaren]

"Bruce McLaren was the best person I ever worked for. He was amazing"
[Howden Ganley, 12th September 2009]
04-16-2013, 01:22 PM
(04-16-2013 10:46 AM)chemics Wrote:  I don't think we need it at all now anyway, the problems it was implemented to fix don't exist any more.

Yes they are, they don't exist because they have DRS. Take it away and we would be back to a faster car getting stuck behind a slower car lap after lap unable to overtake because of the aero.

04-16-2013, 01:31 PM
(04-16-2013 01:22 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  

Yes they are, they don't exist because they have DRS. Take it away and we would be back to a faster car getting stuck behind a slower car lap after lap unable to overtake because of the aero.

I don't think we would, the degradation in the tyres should allow for more overtaking opportunities. It would also create more need to use that in your strategy, it may pay to get your pit stops out of sequence to have better tyres at the right time to make passes.
04-16-2013, 01:49 PM
If a fast car is on worn out tyres they will get passed at any point on the track and the DRS will do them little good.

04-16-2013, 04:42 PM
(04-16-2013 01:49 PM)Yaaay Wrote:  If a fast car is on worn out tyres they will get passed at any point on the track and the DRS will do them little good.

exactly, so DRS is unecessary. It was only needed (if it was ever really needed) when tyres lasted for 50 laps with little drop off in performance.
04-16-2013, 05:25 PM
but this is only true for the option tyre, the primes last a long time each time so far.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  i hate fox frankdouglason 40 6,313 07-01-2010 08:22 PM
Last Post: Mayonaise
  The tires, the tires, the tires!!! JRocket 13 2,984 04-13-2010 02:59 PM
Last Post: chemics
  Official Hate Eddie Thread trickydicky 14 9,113 09-01-2009 09:47 AM
Last Post: hbrightmusic
  I hate Speed Tv jccaruso 52 9,713 05-07-2009 11:18 AM