Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Another reason to hate BMW if you didn't already
02-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Another reason to hate BMW if you didn't already
Apparently BMW are about to terminate their partnership with Prodrive and hand everything over to an Italian company or cancel it altogether.

I've never heard anything so ridiculous. First they under fund it and Prodrive still make a car capable of Podiums, then after a second podium they pull the plug. What on earth are they thinking?!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php...um=twitter
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2012, 05:17 AM
RE: Another reason to hate BMW if you didn't already
(02-02-2012 02:14 PM)chemics Wrote:  Apparently BMW are about to terminate their partnership with Prodrive and hand everything over to an Italian company or cancel it altogether.

I've never heard anything so ridiculous. First they under fund it and Prodrive still make a car capable of Podiums, then after a second podium they pull the plug. What on earth are they thinking?!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php...um=twitter

BMW is also skipping Le Mans. what gives?

[Image: rpm_g_wheldon01jr_288.jpg]
02-04-2012, 06:37 AM
Maybe they found out that DTM is more important for their marketing efforts? From the media coverage I see, DTM is clearly the second motorsports event in the country. I'd say the ranking goes like this:
1. F1
2. Nothing
3. DTM
4. Nothing
5. Nothing
6. MotoGP/Moto2
7. Race of Champions
8. Le Mans

And then a lot of nothing before Rallying.

In mainstream media you don't hear anything about WRC. And obviously WRC is not big in the markets BMW wants to enter, either. On the opposite, DTM was in China in 2010 and is looking into holding a race in the US of A.
02-04-2012, 03:49 PM
race of champions? really? people care about that?
02-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Many more Brits go to Le Mans than go to the British GP.

Regards,
Mark

"A man who took simple pleasure in making things work properly"
[Nigel Roebuck, writing of Bruce McLaren]

"Bruce McLaren was the best person I ever worked for. He was amazing"
[Howden Ganley, 12th September 2009]
02-05-2012, 05:11 AM
(02-04-2012 03:49 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  race of champions? really? people care about that?

In Germany yes. Particularly this year, as it took place there. And of course having Germany win the team event for 6 or 7 years (I think) in a row helps.
02-05-2012, 06:35 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2012 07:07 PM by Neonzapper.)
(02-04-2012 03:49 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  race of champions? really? people care about that?

An unexpected thing happened to me in Atlanta back in 1980 when I was younger. My dad's business had a nice dinner held for his brass at the Atlanta state capitol building. I was taking photos all evening long at this very boring event. The Lieutenant Governor of Atlanta introduced himself to me and explained that the official photographer didn't show up at the event next door, and asked if I would help out. By that time my camera's batteries were nearly dead so the flash didn't work, but I was able to get one poor photo of the Race Driver Dinner for the 1980 International Race of Champions. That's Clay Regazzoni before his accident standing near Mario Andretti. I was very nervous as I arranged each driver's position for the photo. When leaving that night, I walked with my parents on a narrow wooden bridge above a landscaped stream. Darrell Waltrip was standing alone staring down at the water. Not having Nasir's skill, I simply said, "Hi" to which he replied, "Hello". This is the only photo of that dinner...

[Image: n1z8y8.jpg]

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
02-05-2012, 06:48 PM
i see the race of champions as an all star game, and like every other all star game, it's mildly entertaining from a fan's perspective because you get to see all these people together but the competition is hollow because there's nothing on the line and the competitors don't care who wins.
02-05-2012, 07:01 PM
An All-Star game comprises team players in different positions. These are only race car drivers competing against eachother, but the playing field has been leveled by exactly similar cars. No HRT vs. RBR.

02-05-2012, 08:36 PM
right. we take individuals out of their teams (vettel out of red bull and schumacher out of mercedes) and combine them into all star teams (germany) to compete in their normal activity (driving) against other all star teams in a contrived competition that means nothing.
02-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Wow. It's just a game, stop sucking lemons.

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
02-05-2012, 08:55 PM
i'm not sucking lemons, though it seems to be a common perception.

or should i just say "why don't you go take another picture of a poorly parked german car?"
02-06-2012, 01:51 AM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2012 01:52 AM by Koala.)
(02-05-2012 08:55 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  i'm not sucking lemons, though it seems to be a common perception.

or should i just say "why don't you go take another picture of a poorly parked german car?"

Some people like to collect stamps - others coins - Yaaay takes pictures of badly parked German cars - everyone has to have a hobby. [Image: 2wgelvr.gif]
02-06-2012, 09:16 AM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2012 09:18 AM by Ponte92.)
(02-05-2012 06:35 PM)Neonzapper Wrote:  

An unexpected thing happened to me in Atlanta back in 1980 when I was younger. My dad's business had a nice dinner held for his brass at the Atlanta state capitol building. I was taking photos all evening long at this very boring event. The Lieutenant Governor of Atlanta introduced himself to me and explained that the official photographer didn't show up at the event next door, and asked if I would help out. By that time my camera's batteries were nearly dead so the flash didn't work, but I was able to get one poor photo of the Race Driver Dinner for the 1980 International Race of Champions. That's Clay Regazzoni before his accident standing near Mario Andretti. I was very nervous as I arranged each driver's position for the photo. When leaving that night, I walked with my parents on a narrow wooden bridge above a landscaped stream. Darrell Waltrip was standing alone staring down at the water. Not having Nasir's skill, I simply said, "Hi" to which he replied, "Hello". This is the only photo of that dinner...

[Image: n1z8y8.jpg]

Totally loving the pants of the dude on the far right!
(02-04-2012 06:37 AM)InterRaptor Wrote:  1. F1
2. Nothing
3. DTM
4. Nothing
5. Nothing
6. MotoGP/Moto2
7. Race of Champions
8. Le Mans

Im surprised by that but i guess it is different in every country (depending on what people want), but over here I can watch Le Mans easily, the RoC we didnt get on any channels (including pay one) until a full month after and even then it was on Christmas day so who would have watched it?

"Second is the first of the losers" Richard Hammond
02-06-2012, 10:49 AM
(02-06-2012 09:16 AM)Ponte92 Wrote:  Im surprised by that but i guess it is different in every country (depending on what people want), but over here I can watch Le Mans easily, the RoC we didnt get on any channels (including pay one) until a full month after and even then it was on Christmas day so who would have watched it?

Well, if I remember correctly, there is no Aussie team. Or an Aussie driver in the "rest of the world" team. No driver, no interest, no TV.
02-06-2012, 08:56 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2012 08:58 PM by Neonzapper.)
(02-06-2012 09:16 AM)Ponte92 Wrote:  Totally loving the pants of the dude on the far right!
That's Bobby Unser (white pants) and Mario Andretti is next to him Smile

02-07-2012, 09:32 AM
(02-05-2012 08:36 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  right. we take individuals out of their teams (vettel out of red bull and schumacher out of mercedes) and combine them into all star teams (germany) to compete in their normal activity (driving) against other all star teams in a contrived competition that means nothing.

It may not mean as much as the day job, but don't think for one minute they don't want to win when the visor comes down, that's just part of their personalities at that level.