Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
dakar 2012
01-02-2012, 10:55 AM
dakar 2012
Is anyone following The Dakar Rally this year? Here in US they are running 30 daily updates I'm capturing on Dvr. Something to get me thru the off season

“Just leave me alone. I know what to do.”
"I'm only here for the racing. All the other bull$hit I can do without." - Kimi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2012, 02:49 PM
RE: dakar 2012
i stopped following the dakar when it stopped ending in dakar.
01-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Would it be OK if they renamed Lima?

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
01-02-2012, 04:28 PM
i think they should, but then it would just be some new rally raid. i don't know if i would pay attention to that either. at least i wouldn't feel lied to.
01-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Im watching it because of the timing during the off season. Heck nascar is even in the off season. Its either watch that or another barbie Dvd Santa brought

01-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Dakar is equally awesome in South America. Loving the coverage. Robby Gordon and distant cousin Nasser Al-Attiyah looking Hummer good. Sadly, a local bike racer was killed on opening day. Before the month is out we will also have Monte Carlo Rally and Daytona 24 Hours. Motorsports is back. Happy New Season!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-03-2012, 10:08 AM
No coverage here, but I intend to try and follow it where I can.

I think the Dakar name has become their brand. It is a little confusing now the race doesn't finish there, or even race on the same continent, but I think they will go back once/if things settle down in the region they used to race.
01-03-2012, 11:47 AM
I think SBS are doing daily updates but I just don't really care this year.

"Many people ask me why I always sign off 'Till we meet again.' Because goodbye is always so final. Goodbye, Dan Wheldon." - Marty Reid
01-03-2012, 05:35 PM
(01-03-2012 11:47 AM)C_O_N Wrote:  I think SBS are doing daily updates but I just don't really care this year.

I looked at the entry list earlier, I don't think I'll be bothering to watch it very closely. It looks like all the big teams have pulled out in the car category.

I've given up on Mini after what they did to Kris Meeke.
01-03-2012, 09:02 PM
(01-03-2012 05:35 PM)chemics Wrote:  
(01-03-2012 11:47 AM)C_O_N Wrote:  I think SBS are doing daily updates but I just don't really care this year.

I looked at the entry list earlier, I don't think I'll be bothering to watch it very closely. It looks like all the big teams have pulled out in the car category.

That was terrible what they did to him. And after having a look at the entry list, I think i'll spend my time watching the cricket.

"Many people ask me why I always sign off 'Till we meet again.' Because goodbye is always so final. Goodbye, Dan Wheldon." - Marty Reid
01-04-2012, 08:56 AM
(01-03-2012 09:02 PM)C_O_N Wrote:  
(01-03-2012 05:35 PM)chemics Wrote:  

That was terrible what they did to him. And after having a look at the entry list, I think i'll spend my time watching the cricket.

I honestly don't know why BMW are bothering if they aren't going to fund it properly. They looked like they had the potential to be near the front this year but now they have dropped one driver for a pay driver and still aren't doing the whole championship. That just gives Ford/Citroen another year of dominance and then VW will be here with properly funded effort making success even harder.
01-04-2012, 03:47 PM
hey, look at the bright side. maybe vw will run a half-campaign as well. Wink
01-04-2012, 05:29 PM
(01-04-2012 03:47 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  hey, look at the bright side. maybe vw will run a half-campaign as well. Wink

I think VW are in it to win it, I've heard their budget will be the biggest in 2013 when they enter properly. Grabbing Ogier was a big move, they must be paying him well go get him out of Citroen and only running odd rounds in a Skoda S2000 for a year while he develops the car. I think they are already testing the Polo, so I don't see a half year in 2013, more likely some testing events at the end of 2012.

I have a feeling Mini will be gone by the end of 2013.
01-04-2012, 06:21 PM
i'm going to give mini the benefit of the doubt. i could see them wanting to compete and under-estimating the costs. wrc was suddenly thrown into some very dire straights, and a lot of teams were questioning their involvement. ford came very close to leaving in the eleventh hour. everyone is still wondering where wrc will stand this year. maybe mini is just being a little conservative and hedging their bets for this year. if wrc pulls through, maybe they'll recommit.

wrc needs more teams, plain and simple. the fans turning on mini is not good for the sport.
01-06-2012, 09:28 AM
(01-04-2012 06:21 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  i'm going to give mini the benefit of the doubt. i could see them wanting to compete and under-estimating the costs. wrc was suddenly thrown into some very dire straights, and a lot of teams were questioning their involvement. ford came very close to leaving in the eleventh hour. everyone is still wondering where wrc will stand this year. maybe mini is just being a little conservative and hedging their bets for this year. if wrc pulls through, maybe they'll recommit.

wrc needs more teams, plain and simple. the fans turning on mini is not good for the sport.

It's BMW that are at fault, they haven't given Prodrive sufficient funds to run a full program. They did their part year in 2011, they signed two top level drivers, which included Meeke on a 3 year deal, then they moved their funding to other projects and left Prodrive with another part year. I can't believe the budgets for this weren't already agreed for the initial length of the program.

I think that Mini will be too late by the time it gets in properly now. Ford and Citroen have fully funded teams that will have proper development and two top drivers each, so they will always score more points. Plus VW will be in the same position by 2013 after a well funded development year in 2012. That will leave Mini at best being behind in development due to poor funding and also struggling to get top drivers for the team after everyone else signs the top 6.

I hope I'm wrong though, Prodrive deserve better and so do the fans.
01-06-2012, 01:00 PM
(01-06-2012 09:28 AM)chemics Wrote:  I think that Mini will be too late by the time it gets in properly now. Ford and Citroen have fully funded teams that will have proper development and two top drivers each, so they will always score more points. Plus VW will be in the same position by 2013 after a well funded development year in 2012. That will leave Mini at best being behind in development due to poor funding and also struggling to get top drivers for the team after everyone else signs the top 6.

come on, this is rally we're talking about, not f1. prodrive knows how to make a top rally car. they'd be fighting at the top within a couple years of having the means. ford and citroen already have how many years' head start on them? a couple more isn't going to make a difference.
01-06-2012, 02:16 PM
(01-06-2012 01:00 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  
(01-06-2012 09:28 AM)chemics Wrote:  I think that Mini will be too late by the time it gets in properly now. Ford and Citroen have fully funded teams that will have proper development and two top drivers each, so they will always score more points. Plus VW will be in the same position by 2013 after a well funded development year in 2012. That will leave Mini at best being behind in development due to poor funding and also struggling to get top drivers for the team after everyone else signs the top 6.

come on, this is rally we're talking about, not f1. prodrive knows how to make a top rally car. they'd be fighting at the top within a couple years of having the means. ford and citroen already have how many years' head start on them? a couple more isn't going to make a difference.

Except they don't have the means, and without it they also won't have the drivers. Sordo is good, but he couldn't touch Loeb, and I don't think there are that many drivers capable of winning that they will get one without a good budget, especially with more works teams to sign them up.

I thought this was the year they could get noticed and draw sponsors, it will be interesting to see if that's the case once there are more top tier cars getting the headlines in the future. Hopefully more sponsors come in and the sport grows, but if not the best teams will take what little there is.
01-14-2012, 01:09 PM
I must say I enjoyed this from Robby Gordon:

http://youtu.be/a-OlGBIlwK8

http://youtu.be/pVFdgttin6E

"Minis are for girls" - Classic

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Electric McRae buggy for Dakar 2012 chemics 1 1,041 05-12-2011 04:51 PM
Last Post: frankdouglason
  2011 Dakar Rally cozmoose 27 11,931 01-04-2011 11:52 AM
Last Post: LappedTraffic
  Dakar Rally chemics 19 4,349 01-17-2010 12:45 PM
Last Post: chemics
  Dakar Rally Spectator killed in accident LappedTraffic 19 4,792 01-07-2010 09:05 AM
Last Post: chemics
Sad Breaking News - Dakar Cancelled Miguel 9 3,400 01-09-2008 01:03 PM
Last Post: DesireeF1Weekly