Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What's your thought on 3 car teams?
10-31-2011, 08:26 AM (This post was last modified: 10-31-2011 12:48 PM by parrothead.)
What's your thought on 3 car teams?
Just wondering what everybody's view is on the big teams possibility having a third car on the grid in the near future.

Plus there is also talk that the big teams may sell their chassis to the small teams.

Personally I like the third car idea.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-31-2011, 09:42 AM
RE: What your thought on 3 car teams?
(10-31-2011 08:26 AM)parrothead Wrote:  Just wondering what everybody's view is on the big teams possibility having a third car on the grid in the near future.

I have some issues.

Would the third car be point earning? Yes:- Then all teams have to have 3 cars and all we will have is less teams. No:- Then what is the point beyond having a blocker/defender circulating.

Either way there is only so much money sloshing around the sport so it would mean less teams and a bigger gap between the haves and have nots.

We also have enough trouble now accepting that it is a team sport. With three cars, three drivers, three sets of ego's. Mess.

I think I just talked myself into not liking the idea at all.

(10-31-2011 08:26 AM)parrothead Wrote:  Plus there is also talk that the big teams may sell their chassis to the small teams.

I say no. The single thing that set's F1 apart from all other race series is that each team makes it's own cars (by car I mean chassis). There already is some "customer" supply going on now, Red Bull supply the rear end to Lotus and McLaren supply all sorts of bits to FI etc. etc.

Crossing the boundary into chassis supply is a step too far. It would result in us basically have 3 or 4 chassis very quickly and in time only a couple.

The current arrangements are why this issue has come up again. McLaren have people in Force India. Red Bull send technicians to Hingham. This is not supposed to happen as the IP is supposed to be preserved by team. The more this spreads the more chance there is to evolve A&B teams. Like Force India becoming so dependant on McLaren they effectively become McLaren B and we are looking at that blocker/defender circulating. Team orders are legal again (thank god) and it doesn't say the team order has to come from your team....

[Image: 29qbihk.jpg]
10-31-2011, 11:32 AM
RE: What your thought on 3 car teams?
Plus it gets round the testing restrictions. If you sell a team your chassis you have 4 cars to gain data from, which means double the testing and development time if you do it right. Same goes with 3 car teams.

MotoGP have a 3 rider team this year, they get round the constructors points issue by taking the best and worst result of the three riders. So you can finish 1,2 and have a DNF and only get the points for first. That would be sufficient disincentive to have a hopeless pay driver in your third car.

I don't like the idea of 3 cars teams though, it makes it even harder for the rest to score points if you end up with the best teams running them, which is what will happen.
10-31-2011, 02:17 PM
RE: What's your thought on 3 car teams?
Well I would rather not have a 3 car team, BUT if you do, I'll be up for it, if you completely eliminate the constructor championships and all drivers race for themselves. That would be interesting IMO.

As for Chassis sharing, absolutely not a fan, we have too much sharing in F1 as is. It was an issue when all the manufacturers were in F1, and the customer teams were effectively either being too helpful, or just not getting the support the home team was getting.

Also F1 is an engineering sport, not only a driver sport, it's part of the appeal, so I'm with Yaaay.

Since I have a preference for a constructors challenge I'm not keen on 3 cars either.

[Image: zsolt-baumgartner-minardi.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-31-2011, 08:23 PM
Three cars, three egos? Sounds promising.
No problems with three cars and selling chassis. It has been done before, in old times,why not try it again.
There was a time when most of the grid had the same engine and F1 still was the pinnacle of motorsport. Try it says I. We call always get rid of it if we don't like it.

Ad Astra Per Audacia
10-31-2011, 10:57 PM
Well I don't agree with everything from the olden days, and F1 has evolved beyond that. Though I'm nostalgic for a lot of tracks and some regulations in F1 (I like the old points system better, the seconde itiration 10 points for a win and 6 for second), mostly the evolution has been good. I think it's good we don't have the No. 2 driver giving up his car mid race for the number 1 driver.

I'm glad we tried DRS and KERS. Keep KERS, but drop the DRS thing for next year. At least the rule of using it should change. Nobody like WWE like results in a real sport.

I do wish engineers had more freedom to design their cars, as this year has proven, tight design rules, basically same engine across the board and budget restriction hasn't really stopped a driver or team dominating the sport which these changes were all about when initially introduced when Schumi was dominating the field. It's the nature of F1, you can't fight it.

And 3 car teams or chassis sharing will do pretty much zero to help this situation.

[Image: zsolt-baumgartner-minardi.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-01-2011, 06:03 AM
(10-31-2011 10:57 PM)Baumgartnerfan Wrote:  I do wish engineers had more freedom to design their cars, as this year has proven, tight design rules, basically same engine across the board and budget restriction hasn't really stopped a driver or team dominating the sport which these changes were all about when initially introduced when Schumi was dominating the field. It's the nature of F1, you can't fight

I couldn't agree more. Open the rule book and let the designers go at it.
11-01-2011, 08:08 AM
(11-01-2011 06:03 AM)parrothead Wrote:  Open the rule book and let the designers go at it.

That was the philosophy behind CAN-AM. It worked for a while but by the end it got a bit boring.

"Many people ask me why I always sign off 'Till we meet again.' Because goodbye is always so final. Goodbye, Dan Wheldon." - Marty Reid
07-13-2014, 02:02 PM
On third cars…

July 2, 2014 by Joe Saward

Stories that suggest a Formula 1 with eight teams each running three cars sound half-sensible, don’t they? But could it really happen? And how would it work? Under the terms of the bilateral agreements with the teams there is believed to be provision for a third car for each team, but only if they are required. Does this mean that the teams will be paid extra for running those cars, or that these drivers would be eligible to score points?

My understanding of the deals – and it may not be right – is that third cars could not score points, and that teams would not be paid the prize money. Changing the structures in place would require unanimous support from the signatories (in other words, it is not going to happen).

So, in the circumstance third cars would only be a burden for a team, rather than a benefit. It might allow teams to sell a seat to a young driver, which might add interest to races (but would create “clutter” if liveries were different. Overall it would not be popular because it would push mediocre teams further back on the grid and thus reduce their ability to find money. If my sources are correct then the third car situation is less of a strategy than an emergency measure – and it is not going to happen – unless it has to…

[Image: 33nx3xs.jpg][Image: znqura.gif]
Go FERRARI !..... Go HAAS !
07-13-2014, 06:23 PM
If we got down to 8 teams I think three cars per team would be fine. They should all score points and allow different sponsors and liveries. It would be OK.

07-14-2014, 08:10 AM
Am I the only one who thinks Joe Saward is a dick?

But I think he has a point on this one. It wont happen.

"Woof Woof"
[Image: jkvnl4.jpg]
07-14-2014, 10:46 AM
(07-14-2014 08:10 AM)trickydicky Wrote:  Am I the only one who thinks Joe Saward is a dick?

No, Frank does too.

07-14-2014, 01:55 PM
(07-14-2014 10:46 AM)Yaaay Wrote:  No, Frank does too.

You may both be right, but he's worth listening to and his wife is charming.

Regards,
Mark

"A man who took simple pleasure in making things work properly"
[Nigel Roebuck, writing of Bruce McLaren]

"Bruce McLaren was the best person I ever worked for. He was amazing"
[Howden Ganley, 12th September 2009]
07-15-2014, 07:00 AM
I do find he has an abrasive style.

Arrogant too.

"Woof Woof"
[Image: jkvnl4.jpg]
07-15-2014, 08:36 AM
He's like a grumpier version of Peter Windsor (JS is much stronger on F1 'business' but much weaker on 'tech'), and I'd say they were the two worth listening to & reading. They compliment each other.

Personally I prefer Saward's set of compromises to those offered by most others e.g. -

Nigel Roebuck - old git whinger.
James Allen - pro-Ferrari sycophant (although better than he used to be).
John Watson - another old got whinger.
Most of the internet bloggers - know f-all and just regurgitate other peoples' rumours.

Regards,
Mark

"A man who took simple pleasure in making things work properly"
[Nigel Roebuck, writing of Bruce McLaren]

"Bruce McLaren was the best person I ever worked for. He was amazing"
[Howden Ganley, 12th September 2009]