Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Marco Simoncelli
10-27-2011, 04:14 PM
RE: Marco Simoncelli
I suspect what I have seen is fairly one sided given it is mostly from the Motorcycle community who would be understandably raw at the moment.

It's a shame MotoGP doesn't see more coverage in mainstream media the rest of the time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Fitting send off to a fine racer!

http://www.motogp.com/en/videos/season/2...is+Funeral
10-31-2011, 09:57 PM
Marco Simoncelli's father calls for 'minute of noise' in tribute to his son
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95826
Marco Simoncelli's father Paolo has requested that a 'minute of noise' is held during this weekend's Valencia Grand Prix in memory of his son, rather than the traditional minute's silence.

Simoncelli died when he crashed on lap two of the Malaysian Grand Prix and was struck by the following bikes of Colin Edwards and Valentino Rossi. His funeral took place in Coriano last Thursday.

"Next Sunday during the Valencia GP, instead of there being a minute's silence to honour Marco, I would prefer that there was a minute of total chaos with all the engines of the bikes of MotoGP, Moto2 and 125 all on and roaring together," Gazzetto dello Sport quotes Paolo Simoncelli as saying during an interview on television programme Domenica Cinque.

Simoncelli's father added that he continued to be comforted by the affection shown by fans and colleagues in the wake of his son's death.

"People have come from all over Italy and from abroad to say goodbye to Marco," he said. "They cry and it's me that has to console then. Sometimes I think that Marco was an angel. All this affection makes me feel better and it is helping all of us. I think that the key to all this affection is his smile."

"If there's a red light when you leave the pitlane you have to stop. Then some wooden eye (Hamilton) crashes into you and breaks the car."
- Kimi Raikkonen
11-01-2011, 09:06 AM
(10-31-2011 09:57 PM)leadfoot Wrote:  Marco Simoncelli's father calls for 'minute of noise' in tribute to his son
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95826
Marco Simoncelli's father Paolo has requested that a 'minute of noise' is held during this weekend's Valencia Grand Prix in memory of his son, rather than the traditional minute's silence.

Simoncelli died when he crashed on lap two of the Malaysian Grand Prix and was struck by the following bikes of Colin Edwards and Valentino Rossi. His funeral took place in Coriano last Thursday.

"Next Sunday during the Valencia GP, instead of there being a minute's silence to honour Marco, I would prefer that there was a minute of total chaos with all the engines of the bikes of MotoGP, Moto2 and 125 all on and roaring together," Gazzetto dello Sport quotes Paolo Simoncelli as saying during an interview on television programme Domenica Cinque.

Simoncelli's father added that he continued to be comforted by the affection shown by fans and colleagues in the wake of his son's death.

"People have come from all over Italy and from abroad to say goodbye to Marco," he said. "They cry and it's me that has to console then. Sometimes I think that Marco was an angel. All this affection makes me feel better and it is helping all of us. I think that the key to all this affection is his smile."

Perfect! That's a far more fitting tribute than a minutes silence.
11-01-2011, 01:14 PM
(10-27-2011 03:10 PM)frankdouglason Wrote:  
(10-27-2011 03:02 PM)chemics Wrote:  I think the general feeling was that it was gruesome just for sensationalism.

sensationalism - (esp. in journalism) the use of exciting or shocking stories or language at the expense of accuracy, in order to provoke public interest or excitement. [emphasis added]

(10-27-2011 03:02 PM)chemics Wrote:  I didn't see any counter arguments that the content was OK.

well now you have.

Some see it as theres a fine line between telling the story and sensationalism where too much information equates to disrespect.

"If there's a red light when you leave the pitlane you have to stop. Then some wooden eye (Hamilton) crashes into you and breaks the car."
- Kimi Raikkonen
11-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Misano will be renamed in Marco Simonelli's honour.

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/174580/...mpaign=rss
11-06-2011, 03:59 PM
The tribute in Valencia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwxstosxqOw
11-06-2011, 10:15 PM
I watched the Valencia race today, since there was no F1. It was a good one.

“Just leave me alone. I know what to do.”
"I'm only here for the racing. All the other bull$hit I can do without." - Kimi
11-07-2011, 02:24 AM
(11-06-2011 10:15 PM)LappedTraffic Wrote:  I watched the Valencia race today, since there was no F1. It was a good one.

That fight for second was incredible. And what a finish!

"Many people ask me why I always sign off 'Till we meet again.' Because goodbye is always so final. Goodbye, Dan Wheldon." - Marty Reid
11-07-2011, 09:21 AM
(11-07-2011 02:24 AM)C_O_N Wrote:  
(11-06-2011 10:15 PM)LappedTraffic Wrote:  I watched the Valencia race today, since there was no F1. It was a good one.

That fight for second was incredible. And what a finish!

I think they said that was the closest finish in the 800cc era. I'm still glad they're gone though.

What a shame we won't get to see Simoncelli on a 1000.
11-07-2011, 11:57 AM
I still love that when F1 make their engines smaller, MotoGP make theirs bigger.

"Many people ask me why I always sign off 'Till we meet again.' Because goodbye is always so final. Goodbye, Dan Wheldon." - Marty Reid
11-07-2011, 01:31 PM
(11-07-2011 11:57 AM)C_O_N Wrote:  I still love that when F1 make their engines smaller, MotoGP make theirs bigger.

Ahhh, but they have a fuel limit, and the rule isn't 1000cc, it's up to 1000cc. There is a lot of speculation that some will be in the mid to low 900's to get the right balance between performance/weight/power. F1 with a more open rule like that could be very interesting. Plus it is a relatively green initiative, maximum performance from a limited amount of fuel and increased engine lives have meant a lot of tech has moved down to road bikes compared to the old days of new engines every race.

The 800's have been too tight and controlled with narrow power bands, but I think the electronic and tyre development will mean we won't go back to the old 990 style of riding from a few years ago. the control ECU they are proposing for 2013 might help though, they need to put more control with the rider and less with the software guys in the garage.
11-08-2011, 11:02 AM
I've been saying for years that instead of cutting engine size, F1 should just impose a fuel limit. It could be the same basic system as with tyre limits.